Would like to move to Docker But issue with installing

Anyone good with docker? I cant even get it to run on my system. spent an hour or two trying to figure it out. Worth a shot . here is diagnose .
[PASS] DD0027: is there available disk space on the host?
[PASS] DD0028: is there available VM disk space?
[SKIP] DD0002: does the bootloader have virtualization enabled?
[SKIP] DD0018: does the host support virtualization?
[PASS] DD0001: is the application running?
[SKIP] DD0022: is the Virtual Machine Platform Windows Feature enabled?
[SKIP] DD0021: is the WSL 2 Windows Feature enabled?
[PASS] DD0024: is WSL installed?
[PASS] DD0025: are WSL distros installed?
[PASS] DD0026: is the WSL LxssManager service running?
[FAIL] DD0029: is the WSL 2 Linux filesystem corrupt? [ 12.425046] EXT4-fs error (device sdd): ext4_put_super:1188: comm wsl-bootstrap: Couldn’t clean up the journal
[PASS] DD0035: is the VM time synchronized?
[FAIL] DD0017: can a VM be started? prereq failed: is the WSL 2 Linux filesystem corrupt?
[FAIL] DD0016: is the LinuxKit VM running? prereq failed: can a VM be started?
[FAIL] DD0011: are the LinuxKit services running? prereq failed: is the LinuxKit VM running?
[FAIL] DD0004: is the Docker engine running? prereq failed: are the LinuxKit services running?
[PASS] DD0015: are the binary symlinks installed?
[FAIL] DD0031: does the Docker API work? prereq failed: is the Docker engine running?
[PASS] DD0013: is the $PATH ok?
[FAIL] DD0003: is the Docker CLI working? prereq failed: is the Docker engine running?
[FAIL] DD0005: is the user in the docker-users group? prereq failed: is the LinuxKit VM running?
[FAIL] DD0038: is the connection to Docker working? prereq failed: is the Docker engine running?
[FAIL] DD0014: are the backend processes running? prereq failed: is the LinuxKit VM running?
[FAIL] DD0007: is the backend responding? prereq failed: are the backend processes running?

Which flavor of Windows are you using ? Which version of docker are you trying to install ?

Docker Desktop for Windows requires Windows 10 (Professional, Business, Educational, and Home versions), 64-bit processing, 4GB system RAM, Windows Hyper-V and Container features, and BIOS-level hardware virtualization.

Have above :point_up: conditions been satisfied ?

1 Like

Windows 11 - home - latest updates . Hyper V / BIos-level HW V good. ( latest desktop docker vers )

Since its Windows Home it needs WSL 2. Can you confirm you have WSL 2 ?

AHHH! I just figured it out, I had another program using WSL 2 - and it wouldnt run with docker whatever reason . I uninstalled the Distro - Docker now runs.

2 Likes

if you have windows 11, why do you need doker? use windows gui

2 Likes

I was tryin to use docker while back. Just couldnt get it to work . And no real specific reason to switch to docker tbh.

The only reliable way to host services on windows, in my experience, is not to :slight_smile:

Install some sort of lightweight Linux or FreeBSD into hyper-v or VMware, and run stuff there.

Or, if high performance gaming is not the reason you use windows, switch your desktop to Linux. Modern Linux distributions made a huge progress in the past decade and are very usable as a desktop OSes. Look at Fedora or even Ubuntu. The former will get you cutting edge and latter a lot of support — “How do I do X in Ubuntu” is an invariably successful search.

Otherwise, if you feel adventurous, you can mess with gpu passthrough and virtualize your gaming windows instance.

Either way, moving away from windows was extremely successful and productive thing for me and everyonr else I know who’ve done it. So, my advice would be to try it.(for my credentials — I’ve been administering and developing for, both user mode and kernel mode, on a various windows flavors and platforms, including NT, 7/10, RT, WP, for over a decade in my past life. I’m very familiar with this family of oses inside-out)