2*IP-2PC-2HDD-2nodes into 1*IP-1PC-2HDD-1node?

complicated name of my tropic :smiley: I explane. I have 2 internet provoders and 2 PC with stoj node (one node for each i-provider). At 1-irst Januar i cancel one contract with one my internet provider. That my node is about 2-3 months old and i have about 7€ eared this month and about 7,5€ “hold” (dashboard info). I saw that two nodes on same IP count as one node. So, i think, if i JUST(!) unplug LAN cable (to the router A) from “cancel-provider-PC” and plug LAN cable (to the router B), there would be 2 PC with storj nodes on one IP, but ould count as one node. I am rigt? Or should i make some changes in docker or something else? Or it is better to give up this one node (there is not to much money) and add one more “fresh” HDD-node to another PC? Or: is it possible and uncomplicted to migrate HDD(A) with used storj storage to another PC with his own HDD(B)-storage and existing node so that HDD(A)-storage-node continous this own existens in coexistent with HDD(B)-storage-node? I dont knew you understand me, so please ask me if not :smiley:

the nodes need to be kept separate for identity integrity. You can have them on a single ISP, they will just start to share data going forward.

2 Likes

You’ll have to make sure each node is accessed via different ports also. So you’ll have to configure the router and the nodes accordingly to avoid conflicts.

2 Likes

On the switched node you will need to use a different external port (since 28967 is already occupied by your first node) and different ADDRESS, since it will be on the same address as a first node. Do not forget to add a new port forwarding rule on your first router for the second node.
The typical rule for the second machine on your first router:

Interface external port range internal port range local IP/host comment
WAN interface 28968:28968 28967:28967 192.168.100.3 node2

And related docker settings:

-p 28967:28967/tcp \
-p 28967:28967/udp \
-p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 \
-e ADDRESS=your-first.external.address:28968

Please note a different address and port in the ADDRESS option.

See

2 Likes

With your all help now i knew more. The best scenario for my case, that could work, seems to be like this:
i build storj-HDD-2 fromm node-2-PC into node-1-PC with his own existing storj-HDD-1 and mont it (fstab). At this scenario i save electricity while i use just one PC. Than i should configure node-2 so that there would be no conflict with node-1. In that case, for node-2, i must use another ports in docker command, maybe in yaml file and open that ports in router. I shoul move node-2-identity folder to node-1-PC too. To start my node-2 i should use seperate docker-node-2-instance while docker-node-1-instance is already running. What is the best way to do it? I suggest to use the same command as in install instructions (Storage Node - Storj Node Operator Docs) but i add not “–name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest” but “–name storagenode-2 storjlabs/storagenode:latest” option? Is it right?
2) Next question is about software update. I sugest to run such command too: “docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower-2 -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode-2 watchtower --stop-timeout 300s” (i just renamed watchtower to watchtower-2 and storagenode to storagenode-2). Is it right? Maybe it is one watchtower enough? Maybe if watchtower and watchtower-2 running at the same time, that could cause problems with storj-image by updating process or something else?
3) What user is meaned in that command option “–user $(id -u):$(id -g)”? User that has rights to run docker or standart OS user or something another?

Please NEVER use SETUP=true for worked node, you may destroy it! The setup step should be executed only once for entire node’s life.
So you must skip the setup step and use the next run step.

Yes, that’s right but use for normal docker run without SETUP=true.

The one instance of watchtower is able to update multiple containers, just list them, i.e.

docker run -d --restart=always --name watchtower -v /var/run/docker.sock:/var/run/docker.sock storjlabs/watchtower storagenode storagenode-2 watchtower --stop-timeout 300s

your user and group, i.e. it will likely expand to --user apuokas:apuokas, this is also mean that you need to configure your docker to be run without sudo and data location should be recursively owned by your user (not root). Or you may remove this option and run it with sudo (in such case data location should be owned by root).

To run multiple containers many uses docker-compose, for example:

2 Likes