Any good tools or tool comparisons regarding backing up a QNAP or other NAS to Storj?

Like this post says, this forum does not seem to cater very much for Storj clients, most discussions are for node operators. (Maybe open a section for clients?) But surely, if people are using Storj as client, what tools do they use?

I know that it is technically possible to use HBS3, Duplicati and RClone for backing up a NAS to Storj (via the S3 interface). And I have seen the list of tools that are supposed to work (be it in “preview” or not).
But I have found close to no feedback on how well that works, or any comparisons (speed, downsides/upsides).

Is there anyone that has tested various backup solutions NAS → Storj and is happy with one or more of them?

My needs:

• Back up a huge amount of small files, and a respectable amount of 2-4GB files, from NAS (if possible, QNAP).
  • I have a delta of about 50GB to upload every week, on a total of about 2TB source. With a respectable amount of files that got changed and/or deleted.
  • This is for disaster recovery, so no hard need for history on the target backup system (storj). I give absolute priority to ease of restoring.
  • It should be reliable, well maintained and reasonably fast. And not too expensive.

Am on B2 now, via RClone. But since I operate a couple of Storj nodes, why not give some love back?

If you have a lot of small files, the segment fees “might” impact you.

Understanding Storj Pricing Structure - Storj Docs.

As for performance and usage, there are quite a lot of end users who have used the tools you have mentioned. Performance issues usually stemmed from having to adjust the parallelism outside of the default numbers. There are videos and guides out there, for instance here is one…

1 Like

My personal recommendation is duplicacy (sic, not duplicati) with chunk size cranked up to 64 to cater to the segment size. You might want to set it to 32, I depending on the new data composition. The default is 4, and is quite small for storj.

I’m using it for years, at least since 2016. It’s free for personal use. GitHub - gilbertchen/duplicacy: A new generation cloud backup tool

It supports native storj integration but if you have slow uplink you might want to use s3 anyway.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Hyperbackup on my Synology NAS to backup to Storj for well over a year now. Works fine.

1 Like

I’ve a very good experience with Truenas backup as well.

Speed depends mostly on host preformance (CPU cores and memory).
Also bandwidth could be a bottle neck.
In my case i’ve plently from all of them so i set simultaneously Transfers to 8. But as already mentioned here you may want to set those for your needs.

Easy to setup with this guide here:

1 Like

This “backup” is using rclone copy under the hood. It’s not a backup in a conventional sense of this word, this is sync. (i.e. if you source data is corrupted (as a result of hardware or user error), the corruption will propagate to your target on the next sync).

In fact, the narrator in the video is using words “synchronize your data”, “cloud sync”, etc. Not “backup”, in spite of what the video title says.

2 Likes

I would consider switching to something else. Hyperbackup eventually corrupts the target datastore (happened to me more than once for it to be a fluke) and its very design is fragile: try to cancel in-progress backup, it takes over 10 min to do so. What is it doing all this time? The problem is it keeps the datastore in the inconsistent state during backup and does not tolerate interruptions. Network glitches and power outages won’t be waiting 15 minutes for it to gracefully disconnect.

It’s only a matter of time until you lose data. I recommend not using any of synology software for any purpose. There are plenty of high quality alternatives.

4 Likes

So, which of these high quality alternatives do you use to backup your Synology data to Storj?

None. I got rid of Synology diskstations years ago, my life has significantly improved as a result, I now spend time I used to waste triaging Synology issues and filing bug reports that never get fixed on something else, and I’m not planning on ever going back.

Or if this is just poorly worded question and you are actually asking for specific recommendation for you to use — read third post in this thread.

1 Like

Synology and QNAP are just not good at software.

Here is one example to show you how poor QNAP software is.
I used to have a QNAP NAS as off-site backup at my parents house.
I wanted to use SSH to connect to it. I wanted to use public key auth. There is no way to disable password auth. I am not kidding you, there is no way! You can manually change sshd, but it will get overwritten at every boot. I could not believe it and contacted support, but there is indeed no option to disable password auth! It is bad enough that it is not disabled by default!

No wonder they get hacked every year because some App goes rogue.

1 Like

At least they did not modify OpenSSH authentication code by inserting calls into their opaque layer, and having “secret default password” in the past. Or did they? I don’t trust anything anymore :slight_smile:

Please tell me you are joking and nobody actually did that?!

I’m dead serious. Google “Synology hardcoded CVE”. This is one Synology_SA_21_12 | Synology Inc.. Here is worse one: CVE-2014-2264 : The OpenVPN module in Synology DiskStation Manager (DSM) 4.3-3810 update 1 has a hardcoded root password of synopass, wh

There were a few more, in oder DSM 4xx, but I can’t find them anymore on their web site.

But because they use open source components, they had to release their modifications. They did it in the best TiVo traditions – technically their contributions are open source, but practically absolutely useless for anyone else including those who try to understand what they have actually done: the modifications are calls into their opaque layer. Bastards.

You can have a look at that horror yourself. Synology Archive Download Site - Index of /download/ToolChain/Synology NAS GPL Source
Synology Open Source Project - Browse Files at SourceForge.net

Edit.

This one is an interesting read: Synology's "secret" telnet password.

1 Like

Yes, I did say high quality. What is your question? More specific recommendations besides duplicacy? Here you go: restic, borg.

Excuse my language, but this is fucking wild! How on earth can a company like that still sell business devices?!
I am in no way perfect and also make a lot of mistakes at work, BUT that password based on date thing is not a whoopsie! That is malicious and in my opinion criminal and illegal!
Thank you for the warning to never buy something from that company!

3 Likes

Good marketing covers a multitude of sins.

1 Like

Yes I use this too.
As you said, due to Storj not supporting versioning, should you copy over corrupted data you’re out of luck.
Do you know if versioning is coming to Stroj? Otherwise I should write a script to achieve this.

2 Likes

Thanks I should’ve checked out the GH roadmap. This would be a welcomed feature.

2 Likes