Bandwidth utilization comparison thread

I got 14GB ingress on Monday.
So that is similar to your 2 nodes, you got 3GB normal ingress and 4.3GB repair ingress, so 7.3GB ingress total. If you have 2 nodes behind the same IP then you got ~14GB just like I did.
@SGC got exactly half of our ingress, probably because there’s another node in his subnet.

1 Like

node1

node2

1 Like

Looks like your screenshots are from today, 15Sep2020, so it’s incomplete data as the day has not concluded.

2 Likes

Here’s mine from yesterday if anyone’s interested:

Couple of notes:

1. On 04Sep my fiber line was cut by people digging in my yard, and it wasn’t repaired until 07Sep, which is why my 04-07Sep won’t look like most other’s graphs.
  2. Then on 08Sep that repaired fiber line was cut again since the repaired line hadn’t been buried yet, and someone ran it over with a lawn mower, so then that was repaired on 09Sep, which again is why there’s a noticeable dip 08-09Sep…
  3. So all of that downtime is also the reason of both nodes have relatively high amounts of trash at the moment (missed all of the deletes during that downtime).

Node 1:

Node 2:

3 Likes

I updated my post, thank you for pointing that out.

1 Like

Yeah, same here…
There are days with more ingress and there are days with low ingress…
Unfortunately not much can be done about it.
It won’t make you feel better, but that’s how it works.
Just be online … and do other stuff, don’t watch the charts all the time (as I am doing) :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, it’s a bit addicitve to follow up several times a day.

6 Likes

A bit of a drop off there on the 10th that hasn’t returned yet- both ingress and egress just about halved.

I have zero bytes of ingress usage on both of my nodes since the 21st, anyone noticing a similar behavior ? Seems kind of odd.

i’ve mostly been seeing egress… my ingress is still nearly none existing, but i also haven’t gotten my global ip changed yet so i share the ingress with the other node on my subnet, but decided to see if he doesn’t move, and i kinda want to migrate into running 4 drive raidz1’s so if i wait the node doesn’t grow before i migrated it… only got 18tb on the next set of disks i’m ordering.
ofc at current ingress doesn’t really make much difference… double of near nothing is still just about nothing lol

sounds like you are suspended maybe… not sure thats working at the moment tho…

i forget what littleskunk said about it in the changelog… if you had like over 48hr dt one would get suspended i think… nah that wasn’t it… well it’s in the changelogs posts on the forum…

a suspension basically means something went wrong and your node did something bad or something in that regard, this will lead to the satellites suspending a node, and during a suspension one will not get any ingress, but ofc the network can still do egress, because they don’t want to loose access to data if its working…

i think a suspension lasts 30 days…

you should dig into why it happened tho… might indicate some underlying issue… if that is what it is… anyways…

AFAIK a suspended Node clearly states it on the dashboard with a yellow warning, surely @TheMightyGreek would have noticed it…

I’m seeing very low ingress these days too, but not zero ingress. Something like @SGC: a few GB of ingress per day.

you should see exactly double of mine… i share my ingress with another node … because somebody put a node on my isp’s subnet… :confused:

yeah the dashboard thing sounds about right… never seen that tho, and hopefully i never will… the only way i’m aware of that one can get zero ingress would be suspension or maybe a read only files system or out of space i guess

or that counting bug… where the node thinks its out of space but isn’t .
tho i think that was fixed a few version back…

One of my nodes gets 0 ingress because it’s full :wink:

I’m seeing a bit more than you in Ingress, but not as twice as much.
All of my not-full nodes are only partially vetted so my stats aren’t very usable…

The point was that I don’t get zero ingress :slight_smile:

ah i took a screenshot of an incomplete day… so really you cannot see my ingress exactly…
woops…

i would almost bet that you will see twice my ingress unless if your node is running below optimal

this is for a complete day

not sure how long i have been sharing a subnet with him only noticed the new node a week or so ago… but looks like it was around the 10th maybe

Hmm, mine ingress is near not existing too, but total bandwidth of my 7 nodes 2.5Tb each is 2,7 tb (ingress & egress both) this month. Thats bigger than yours, but mine total capacity less than 17,5 tb

And how much profit your node makes, if not secret?

That seems mighty odd…assuming they’re not full…I’ve been seeing similar trends recently to the other recent posts. My two nodes have seen an average of ~14.7GB of ingress a day (total) this month, that’s also with a couple of days with the nodes off due to internet outage. ~12GB/day for the last 3 previous days.

one of the nodes is full but the other one still has 2.5 TB to go…
Here are some screenshots of the dashboard.

Storj22-09-2020

I’ll try and restart the node now, maybe it’s one of those errors when it thinks it’s full when it’s not…
I don’t think I’m suspended, both suspension and audit scores are up at 100.00%

Alright so my nodes were still on V1.9.5, I updated them manually and now they seem to be getting some ingress. I should have restarted them first to see it the error was fixed by the restart or by the update…
Anyway I’ll keep an eye on the for the next few hours to see how they behave.
Also it looks like my node is still trying to ping stefan-benten even though it’s now offline…

profit… i still don’t break even it just about covers its electricity costs and it’s 7 months old.
been getting around 60$ with heldback amounts for the last few months and i don’t suspect this month to be any different… but the server isn’t anywhere near capacity and i’m running 12 hdd’s with a total capacity like 65 TB ofc which some goes to redundancy and other pools are not used for storj,

but i really should get more stuff setup to run for profit on the server… running a storj node is basically no load at all, even with the rather high io demand of storj…

the number of nodes will not matter unless if there is other people on your subnet, each node on a subnet will get the same ingress + repair ingress a day within a 1% margin of error if the storagenode is functioning under optimal conditions.

my ingress is 224gb this month, and since i share a subnet with another node that should have been double… so thats an additional 224gb putting my node at a total for this month thus far of 2.3 and then maybe my egress has been affected by the node i and sharing a subnet with…

when we did the monitoring of bandwidth over a month, we found that bandwidth was highly unstable and we didn’t find any pattern to why it was like it was… at one point a few nodes on the same subnet had 3-5 times the egress of the rest of us for like a week.

node age also affects the amounts of test data throughput.
i think my node is doing okay… this months ingress tho… is so sad