Bandwidth utilization comparison thread

nobody can really know.
storj test sats looks like 40% of the total used.
but some customers will also test…

the only bad thing about test data, is its usually low egress a bit like old data…
customers are similar to us.
the older the data gets the more rarely we use it.

maybe test data isn’t even the worst…

THO IT SEEM SO!!!

lol

I am not worried about if it is customer data or not. As you rightly said, you can‘t predict egress. I am more worried that we don’t have real growth of customer data and what we saw the last months is just synthetic growth.

1 Like

high ingress with the same egress of half stored data people complain.
don’t simplify too much

Storj have to know it! Their accounting system should tell it as they calculate the customers’ costs on daily base (or even on real time).

BTW it can be found out by a very easy report:
How many of the total registered accounts are on free tier?
What is the stored amount of these accounts?

How many of the total registered accounts were upgraded from free tier?
What is the stored amount of these accounts?

And all of the above by satellite.

In a minute they can figure out if someone is playing with the free tier or a real, big customer started to upload their data. Btw, if someone with over PB of data would like to join, he had to talk with sales and sales support first…

It is crystal clear for them, just they don’t share the info. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe we shared that we are adjusting free tier limits due to abuse, and that may get adjusted further in order to limit ongoing issues around it. Some potential free tier abusers likely created many accounts which have not been purged yet. Some growth is going to be due to this free tier abuse.

If you ask me how much and such, I don’t know because I don’t know what any one abuser is doing that breaks terms of service versus legit usage of the network. That is something our engineering team is working on.

Synthetic (test) data is not put on production servers. Minus some QA style testing data that is small for performance tracking and bug checks, etc.

No one at Storj is looking to add extra data to enlarge expenditure, except where JG already mentioned.

We do have a newsletter where we announce business deals and happenings when it makes sense to do so. We don’t control customers, so even if they were to tell us, “We have 500 PB of data we are going to upload!” doesn’t tell us when, how quickly, and for how long. We do have capacity planning discussions with customers. But to tell SNO’s that 500 PB is incoming is outside of our knowledge. It all depends on the customer’s timing, not our own.

I would expect some of this data to be erased at some point due to cleansing the abusers off the platform. Storage allotments will lower. The timing is unknown right now. I am making an assumption. It “could” be all legit data. Probably not though. Once the free tier abuse is managed, we will have a better idea of customer data flow.

5 Likes

That is great to hear!

Crazy ingress atm peaking above 500mbit/s on all my nodes.

Yes at this rate I’ll do over 1TB in under a month on my node.

near 3tb per node if everything will never stop

hello, could you explain to me how to make a graph like this?

Hello,

here you have all info:

I was wondering. The load is increasing but the est. Payout is declining. Can Someone explain it to me or is it normal?
Est. Payout started at 23usd at the beginning and is now at 21.8usd.

As i can only add 1 image. Here is the usage from one day:

From my end I see that test data is still coming, but at a lower rate. The Dashboard shows constant upward trend.

Multiple IPs I presume?

You get some test data from repair of course. Doesn’t mean new data is coming into the network.

8 geo locations with 8 IPs.

1 Like

did you mean to post this in the bandwidth comparison thread? Or how is this related to the node payouts subject? I guess what I am saying is can we try to focus on the matter at hand.

1 Like