Can my core 2 duo PC handle two nodes?

So I am planning to install four HDD of four TB each capacity using a PCI SATA Port Multiplier. I already have a 256GB SSD where plan to install Ubuntu server LTS. I am planning to be online using 100Mbps dedicated upstream and downstream.
So my query lies whether my PC could handle two multiple nodes where I will assigning two HDD of 4TB capacity each for a node using UBUNTU SERVER LTS.
Is it possible to run two nodes at once on a core 2 duo CPU merging two HDD to one?
And will it be cost efficient?
I am also planning to add an inverter so I can be online 24/7.

Yes. Its more than enough. You can run 4+ nodes on it. Main problem is IO latency and RAM. Have one node per HDD and 512MB ram per node. I have 20 nodes on 6 core i8400 and my cpu is never above 20%

1 Like

I’m running a node on a core 2 duo laptop, Thinkpad X61, and it works fine… as long as I’m not doing too much of other I/O stuff. The poor thing is prone to overheating, so downclocked it from 2GHz to 800MHz. Still, the node’s fine.

1 Like

Run your nodes on hardware you already have and see how it works. You can always upgrade to some cheap used core 2 quad but dont buy anything new for storj only.

2 Likes

I have 3GB of RAM( which the Windows shows, but actual RAM is 4 GB)
So, does it mean that instead of merging two HDD to one, I can also run four multiple nodes?

I run a simlar setup with Ubuntu server 18.04 LTS on it Mine is a Intel Dual core cpu with 4gigs of ram I have 2 4TB hard drives for each node a SSD for the OS I haven’t had any issues with it, this seems to be the perfect setup when it comes to storj its not power hungry It maxes at about 70watts full load and most of the time it runs around 30 to 40watts on normal days.

IO is really the only issue I have with older systems because they are very limited for speed but it seems to handle 100 to 250Mbps very well I think if it was 1gbps it may struggle to keep up but dont really have to worry about that to much with mechanial hard drives anyways that would be the limiting factor.
This was a free machine I got from facebook market place so it cost me nothing to do its been a awesome machine for this project I started with a 1TB hard drive made some money with it and bought the 2 4TB hard drives inside it.

1 Like

yes run one node on each HDD. merging is dangerous, because if one HDD fails, you lose all the data.

2 Likes

I think this topic would make the start of a good SNO guide for density. How many nodes/HDDs per system/motherboard based on critical factors such as PCIE version, RAM, etc.

I assume that if Storj gets enough customer demand, we as SNOs would prefer to stack more HDDs on our rigs to keep cost down and earnings up. Earlier today I was searching the forum to see how to do this and what the limitations might be. Today I have one 10 TB HDD, but I can see where I would keep stacking more until I reach some kind of limit, ideally calculated in advance.

4 Likes

I could see a problem with this. Do you have it already up and running or would you buy it just for storagenode? If the latter, I’d rather buy a used LSI raid controller off Ebay and flash the IT firmware onto it.

3 Likes

What is the difference between these two?

I’ve heard that the Storj has an IP filtering system which do not allow us to earn much even while setting up a multiple nodes.
And merging is no option because it is of high risk.
So there is the other option to run a single Storj node with 100 Mbps bandwidth.
I’ve read on previous post that the maximum upstream is only 40 Mbps bandwidth that Storj request.
So what are the options for me?

When you said “PCI SATA Port Multiplier” I was picturing something like this

Or do you mean a proper PCI SATA Controller? Still, from what I read the chipsets on the cheap ones are not good. For the same price you’ll get a used LSI one on Ebay. You only need to add a set of cables, which are not normal SATA cables.

I had the same decision to make and researched about it on the Internet. Then I bought a Dell PERC H310 Controller for £30, a set of cables for £20 and a fan for £5. Just make sure you don’t buy a fake card from China. To use the ports independently you need to flash a different firmware turning the card into a normal 8 port SATA controller.

You will not get more traffic with multiple nodes compared with one node, but if the first node gets full you have no other option.

1 Like

how about this one?

Will it be too much for my PC to handle?

The given pictorial link does not contain a PCI slot, it is just an extender

Wow, you wanna spend $830 for a controller for Storj? I guess it will take you 1 or two years to pay for it with your earnings. And how do you connect the drives to it? With an external enclosure?

How did this get into the equation of adding 2 nodes to a system you already had, which probably already has enough SATA slots to handle 2 hard drives or more? To spending alot of money for the sake of adding hard drives?
You Could buy a NAS for the costs of that one pretty useless controller.

Damn, its quite impressive to me, but do you are on linux? Because on docker desktop for Windows, 20% is actually the max CPU charge I get but for only two nodes sharing all my cores at the time, on a i7-4790T. Its a mobile and older gen tough, that’s maybe also the reason. Keep it up.

Docker desktop for Windows has a Linux VM to run containers. It can’t use more CPUs and RAM than you specified in the Docker desktop settings.

Actually, yes, I know that, I dedicated all my cores in the Desktop Settings. I ment it consumes more CPU in my case for two nodes than @570RJ, but maybe he also limited their nodes to one core for each or something like that, I don’t know. I assume its better to allocate all the cores to the nodes for performance reason when it hits spikes with huge traffic. I think it might be a little more intense for a grandpa Core2duo as well. But there are 4 gen’ between us and he have also a desktop version of the processor. But its running smooth otherwise, no worries!

I wouldnt ever run 20nodes on a single pc anyways it gives no benefits less your adding one hard drive after another once each node fills up. Cause then your breaking TOS by adding more nodes to a single core on a cpu then you have cores, which doesnt make much sense to do, once all the hard drives are full that computer is going to be over loaded.

1 Like