Can you create kind of software like onedrive or google

Little bit of topic and probaply already asked. But cant you create kind of software like onedrive or google. So people could buy easily storage and sync

This gets asked all the time, and our COO responded to a similar question during Town Hall Q&A in the forum here.

“Dropbox-like consumer storage - we get a lot of comments on this topic, but it’s an entirely different product, market, customer, support model, etc. It would be like running a second company and again, we have to choose where to deploy our resources. This has been another category where we choose to partner (Drivex, Mountainduck, Amove)”

You can do it right now using MountainDuck or rclone mount.
You may also use rclone sync (or Bisync) to also have a local copy.
MountainDuck has this feature too. To configure a connection you may use the guide for Cyberduck.

I know, was more thinking for the regular user.
Gui app on windows where they can buy storage and have sync and mounted drive.

This is a business idea for a separate company. Storj DCS will provide a backend for that app.
However, why to do not use MountainDuck right now, which is already have a GUI and can be used with Storj DCS?

You may also take a look on https://www.sliksafe.com/, it uses Storj DCS as a backend.

Coz it costs like $39, even for non commercial user.
They put “=” between non commercial and enterprise, thats bad.

i downloaded it, and it also dont show any “Storj” to choose"

moutainducks
it uses S3 gateway
https://docs.cyberduck.io/protocols/s3/storjdcs/#storj-dcs

so it generates additional cost to storj, instead of setting an uplink on users computer i guess?

what a great partner indeed…

Indeed, a native Storj integration would be ideal but so far these seem to be flakey at best.

Even FileZilla had native Storj integration once upon a time but that eventually broke and AFAIK has never been fixed…

Issues with the FileZilla integration cannot be fixed from the Storj Labs side, it is up to them to make the necessary updates to their software, which they have neglected to do even though we alerted them about this a long time ago.

3 Likes

Perhaps this effort might interest you. I don´t know the present status of this project, but you can ask the OP on the reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/storj/comments/voyhws/microsoft_backup_as_a_service_to_storj/

Sorry, I wasn’t trying to imply that the onus was on Storj to fix the issue although I accept that I should have made it clearer. You are absolutely correct.

Regardless, for the end user it’s irrelevant who’s at fault.

2 Likes

An official Storj App for marjor platforms with a easy GUI and similar functions as the bigger players on the market would be awesome!

1 Like

Perhaps, but that would be developer-intensive and would be competing with very large and well-established players.
Probably more sensible to focus development efforts into the core product which is the company’s great differentiator.

2 Likes

I disagree. For majority of consumers today not providing an option of native integration and relying on a gateway is significantly better.

I ran some tests: Just four (4) concurrent uplink sessions downloading a bunch of small-ish files are enough to strain your average cable modem to the point of horrific latency and over 6 threads — enough to knock it down. This is reproducible behavior and I’ve seen it across the board from multiple locations. Here is relevant thread: Question about UDP - #3 by arrogantrabbit

There is an easy way to test/reproduce. Configure duplicacy backup with native storj integration, run the “benchmark” command, specifying number of threads around 10, and watch your modem have a stroke.

Whether it is specific to just cable modems I don’t know. Maybe other bridges, like fiber will behave better, but either way it’s not suitable for consumer applications.

I myself switched to using s3 gateway.

the question is, is it really that ressourcenintensiv, to make simple backup app like that.
Or how much it would cost STORJ inc to make. Mayby its worthy.
Mayby that would be great marketing, a free app, huge STORJ logo and stuff.
Once every time a popup like in winrar, asking to consider buying a full service,
i think it would be so cool. it would be only for STORJ, no need to promote competitors, or compete with them with fuinctionality, just a free, simple backup tool!

Edit: i mean, they already provided a website for that, i use when i want to upload a files,
the tool could be nothing more, just the same, but in form of an installer program on windows and others Os, with GUI, not in web browser.

Edit2:

i checked all that for backup, and found only msp360 for FREE for personal use.
However the amount of configuration is too much!
If STORJ already provided a whole website with control panel, why not to provide a simple .exe generated to download from inside that panel? WITH already all credentials coded in, so user don’t need to do anything! The goal is for user to just install on windows, and be able to upload files to his STORJ account from the computer, windows or mac… without need of logging everytime via browser, and giving pass phase everytime…

Storj is not in business of making backup apps. They are providing storage services for developers.

Making an app is simple. You can build one it in a week. Making a reliable app with great user experience and supporting it — is ridiculously difficult and requires completely different skillset. It’s a job for a separate company. Those companies already exist and are well established.

It makes no sense for storj to waste time on that.

This thread is going in circles.

6 Likes

Maybe an idea for Storj to reach out to some of these company’s…
To collabarate together

Storj already offers a number of third party backup solutions, which you can find here.

3 Likes

None of the screenshots on those page load for me, and there is no feedback form to report. @Alexey ?

For example:

Console:

[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (jbnQ38ynnrWl0jnO_j-E5_comet-backup-storj-2.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (K65vHcrJtRq4S87jICtYx_screenshot-2023-03-09-at-110429-am.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (EZyAl8Wux2GOlyPd70HnI_screenshot-2023-03-09-at-110900-am.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (Cv1Lirp-3-OueRk-YAR8u_image.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (gQ8jBHtvd5sFZFuAqth_h_image.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (Uxn8zBqXQVmQvsswV3pJ2_image.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (zk2JE9Z6f3vk_R2cjpdqc_image.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (xH5tgzVKXn-uK2hVfSo8e_image.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (Zzfpt2JpXnvew_u57s4Em_screenshot-2023-03-08-at-15302-pm.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (VcMLWnSaqkHs9Rt_KV-rn_screenshot-2023-03-08-at-15353-pm.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (5xj9hChjVLwVJs5QpOL-U_screenshot-2023-03-08-at-15443-pm.png, line 0)
[Error] Failed to load resource: Could not connect to the server. (hnehZ46GqDA6tjCM2A0YU_screenshot-2023-03-08-at-15521-pm.png, line 0)

It loads for me

Please check your blocking software/hardware, perhaps it doesn’t like our linksharing?

now you may make a PR from the page

, or create an issue in our docs repository: Issues · storj/docs · GitHub

You are right. storjshare is started being blocked by NextDNS…

And this is the culprit:

What’s the etiquette here? Do I attempt to report this to NextDNS, or shall Storj do that, this being their domain?