Changelog v0.34.6

sure, never mind is good always, but maybe some people do not rely on watchtower for update, for them it would be really helpful to know the update timing a little bit more precicely :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well… you are assuming everything will work 100% of the time and it needs 0% of SNO’s attention during updates. Even if this was already production and had no issues for months, it is still good practice to check stuff when changes happen, to make sure everything is still working the same.

1 Like

Definitely and I do it…every once in a while.
For every 5 minutes I have uptimerobot :wink:

ubdates cold be like sattelite announsments, that this time start update. Then i know be ready, most updates go no problem, some times problems hapens, want to be ready, and not wait like timebomb that it will be at 3 AM at my time, just to check in morning that all is OK. Also i do it for money, therefor wold like to offer best level of service from my side as good as posible. There for i build software to mantain all this in posible short time and low cost for me. I defenetly understand that all this depends not only from me, popularity of it depends from each one of us, so i gladly help as much as i can and share software and it is feir enouth.

I would highly recommend you rethink your approach if you’re trying to make a business out of this.
While it’s great that there is a version available for windows, trying to maintain it in an automated way in windows is asking for trouble. Since this service is provided in a docker image as well, there are plenty of tools out there to run one or multiple nodes on separate machines under Linux environments in a semi or fully automated way. You can even have say 10 machines, each with their own node managed by a service such as Kubernetes that gives you full visibility of the nodes, if there are any issues and easily scalable. And it gives you the control to update all nodes and rollback if there are issues, all when you are available to monitor and manage the cluster. You can’t do that reliably with Windows.

This all ignores the fact that outside of say some nations where a few $ is worth a lot, you should really not rely on this service as anything more than a small revenue stream. or a hobby. There are many caveats designed to ensure data is stored in a distributed, not centralized way. Such as having two nodes on the same public subnet (255.255.255.0 I believe) will not increase the amount of data coming in as a total. let alone running multiple nodes on the same IP.

not agree, most problems here are with docker instalations and docker whatchtower itself, rollback function ? only can rolback docker container itself, i can do it easily all same with gui, in much faster and simple way. So everyone choose envirement that you know how to cook.

1 Like

What is there to rollback with this? It’s a black box you run on your system. Whether it’s a Windows application or Docker container. When it comes to reliability, You have Linux, in a set state. Known to be reliable. Platform used for the vast majority of servers. And then you have Docker, of which abstracts the OS dependencies away, ensuring the container has everything it needs. From there, all you have to provide is a solid connection to the storage medium. You’re rewarded with a system that you can leave alone indefinitely excluding new updated containers with the added performance of a lean system.

Windows you’re at the whim of Microsoft updates, other applications and viruses. If you run in say a Windows Server VM, then sure, windows is a viable solution but if you want to base a business on a service that relies on high availability and no loss of data, Avoid Windows.

Practically all docker related issues are due to either hardware failure, networking issues, or misconfiguration.

If you wanted high redundancy in the case of hardware failure, you could spin up containers with a secondary redundant container on extra hardware. When there is hardware failure, say, no response for 5 minutes, auto rewire the new container, using a shared NAS of some kind.

Windows has a lot of variables such as

Why do you try to make STORJ change their target audience? They are well aware of all problems and the situations of the users including windows/linux.
If STORJ wants the windows users to be a part of their network, then so be it. They didn’t put that much effort into providing windows binaries without thinking about possible problems on windows machines.

Not trying to change their target audience at all. I’m a hobbyist myself. But @Vadim had interest in turning this into a business from my understanding and if that is the case, then there are much better ways of managing nodes to minimize failures.

Those who are trying to turn it into a business for themselves will/should have enough knowledge about this anyway. (If not, then they shouldn’t try to run a business)

Sorry I just re-read your post and it was an answer to Vadim not to STORJ therefore I accidentally assumed you were advising STORJ to drop windows. My bad.

There are a lot of solutions in the industry, too many for everyone to know what is a good and what is a bad solution. This is why knowledge sharing is very important in the industry. It isn’t a bad thing to not know something.

i know about windows much more than linux/docker, updates are turned off and made under my control.
for me docker is overhead, in windows it is only 1 exe file and log files. It work stable enouth in my enviroment. I havent any real troble with 20 nodes on windows. Equiped with UPS, and monitoring made by myself. Today nodes are spreded over locations by 5 nodes per pc. Acceseble over vpn for my accsess.

so when docker image update?

Why is that update so urgent?

-faxxe

FOMO maybe ? … +a few characters

1 Like

if it’s not broken don’t fix it

3 Likes

I would imagine most us posting here have broken quite a few things that were working… trying to make those things work “better”…

I know I have.

3 Likes

@faxxe71 not urgent, but I want to know the time it will happen to make sure my node is good

Why is everyone so worried about knowing when this update will be released? It’s no problem if you’re a week late. Stressing out about updating as soon as possible defeats the point of doing a staged rollout… just let watchtower do its thing, or if you don’t use watchtower, check this thread every couple of days or run a docker pull

2 Likes

Lets not forget the bigger picture of what is going on in the world currently probably effecting everyone putting certain updates behind.

1 Like