CrowdStorage team join Storj

This is exciting news - Welcome to the CrowdStorage Team

I presume this should mean a noticeable increase in node ingress over the next few weeks.

6 Likes

Sorry, I have to link to that

@jtolio : Back to the roots???

I like. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

@bre : Now where is my cheque? :money_mouth_face: :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: :crazy_face: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :stuck_out_tongue: :joy: :sweat_smile: :laughing: :grin:

3 Likes

Now the questions start to arise…

• Is this a merger or acquisition?
  • When I read through my post, CrowdStorage has claimed to have over 250.000 nodes. Will there be over 250.000 Storj nodes in the future? What is going to happen to their 250k nodes?
  • As to @jtolio 's past, is there any connection to Vivint, meaning that we will store their smart home data on our nodes?

@jtolio @bre @BenGolub (who can obviously not be pinged)

2 Likes

:coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin: :coin:
Tokens :wink:

Found this
CrowdStorage (Acquired by Storj) | LinkedIn
Cites “acquired by”, and 1-10 employees.
Founded in 2018, but I thought I read they have been in the dist.storage game for a decade or more? HQ’d in Utah, US.

2 Likes

Some questions to be answered.

The team at CrowdStorage has been working on the problem of decentralized storage for nearly a decade.

I just saw your other thread for the first time @jammerdan. Good detective work :slight_smile: Here’s my summary of the history

For question (1), this is an acquisition, not merger. Storj is over 70 folks at this point, CrowdStorage at the time of acquisition was 5.

2 and 3 kind of have the same answer. Along with the acquisition of CrowdStorage, Vivint and CrowdStorage are going separate ways. Vivint’s storage locations (or storage needs) are not (at least as part of this deal?) becoming part of the Storj network at this time.

This is a super exciting opportunity for us, and independent of the former Vivint relationship, we’re all quite excited to be able to help further decentralized storage together!

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply so far. I agree that this sounds exciting, but still many questions are open.

First of all this.

is very sad. But ok. But maybe there is still hope.

From the CrowdStorage website: https://crowdstorage.com/how-the-tech-works/

We are currently utilizing a network of over 250,000 NAS devices in consumer homes and businesses, with a combined capacity of over 400 petabytes.
250k NAS devices with over 400 Petabytes.

It would be nice to hear how this figures will get incorporated into the Storj network with ca. 13k nodes and 15 PB capacity (6PB free). Will all the CrowdStorage nodes will become Storj nodes? Will all the data fit into the network? Maybe without Vivint the rest portion is only “tiny”?

Polycloud, which is the marketing name for the CrowdStorage service (like Tardigrade was for Storj) claims:

Yes, Polycloud is GDPR compliant. Also, we do not actively collect or otherwise process special categories of personal data as identified in the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
Personal data stored on behalf of our customers, clients, clients’ customers, users, and for our own purposes is processed and stored on servers located across the United States.
In the event that personal data is transferred outside of the United States, we implement adequate protections, such as Standard Contractual Clauses, that comply with the GDPR. We require third-party services providers that process personal data on our behalf to likewise comply with GDPR requirements, including for data transfers.

As far as I know up to this day Storj is not GDPR compliant. So the question is, what is going to happen the data of these customers that obviously gets moved from a GDPR compliant technology to a non GDPR compliant tech.

I hope we will see a lot of more additional info on this acquisition, its goals a roadmap and progress report how moving of data is technically done and how it is progressing.

2 Likes

@jtolio
Can we get information on this?

I guess not. Weird. :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

@jammerdan Hi! I am one of the team members that came over with the acquisition.

There is no plan to automatically migrate customers. We have reached out to Polycloud customers and are helping move customers over, but it is something they have to choose to do by signing up for a Storj DCS account and accepting the Storj Terms of Service.

4 Likes

Thanks for your patience here! We’ve been onboarding the team and are excited to let them speak about this themselves! @jacob is fantastic and you will all love him :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @Jacob and a warm welcome. I appreciate you answer.
But this:

I get that Polycloud customers need to sign up for Storj DCS separately. But this leaves the question open, what will happen to the data of the remaining customers? I mean is Storj going to keep operating Polycloud for the customers that don’t want to switch?

And as a SNO I am still certainly interested to know what has not been answered so far, what is going to happen to the stated 250k Polycloud nodes. Is there any transition from them to Storj DCS to expect? Please understand that this could or probably would have severe impact on the earnings of the existing 13k Storj SNOs and is an important question.

Last question, is there any number (or rough estimate) about how much data you expect to move from Polycloud to Storj DCS?

@jtolio

1 Like

The polycloud service will eventually cease operating, we will provide customers with advanced notice when it happens.

They will not be converted into Storj nodes and be wound down as well. There will be no impact to earnings of existing Storj Nodes.

I’ll ask and see if there is anything I can share.

Let me know if there are anymore questions!

2 Likes

Thanks, I can understand if you cannot share exact numbers. But just rough numbers would be very cool to know, e.g. “1-10 Petabytes” or “more than 10 Petabytes” some wording like that.

Thanks, I appreciate that.