Customers, customers, customers

Something like that. But what they need Tardigrade for?

i think that connects pretty well because the basic idea of their system is that to save internet bandwidth resources you process the video close to the customer.

there are many different types of video encoding, so you take the raw video and convert it into the stream required and then broadcasts that to whoever needs it.

if we imaging a 1000 users opening a video in the same nation, it makes sense to move the raw video to that nation, and then use local processing resources to create the video streams, instead of trying to send the 1000 video streams across national boarders…

something in that regard, which fits pretty much into just how tardigrade works… so why develop a system, if one can use tardigrade which is basically turn key from their perspective.

sounds good the more i dig into it and start to understand it.
berkshire hathaway is a big name in business, basically a business cult lol
deifying what’s his face, that guy that doesn’t have a computer in his office…
oh the irony right… warren buffet

thats his company, sure it’s on a news site owned by his company, but still certain not a bad position…

tho one thing that i find confusing is that they got like 440 subscribers on their youtube channel, but been posting stuff for years…

so not sure how much traction it has… but the idea sounds interesting… duno how much of a problem they are really solving… or trying to solve…

i mean if they were already innovating video processing on the internet one should think they had more than 440 subscribers… being an industry leader / innovator and such

i mean if it worked they would most likely instantly have like 500000 subs just from interested parties that want to be part of the first wave of new tech

I just don’t understand what will be stored on Tardigrade and by whom.
Is it just an additional option for content creators where to store videos instead of maybe their local hard disks? Or is it some mandatory storage that is required for processing? Will the raw videos be stored on Tardigrade or the processed ones?

i don’t think the processed video is stored… its streamed, basically live data and decoded / encoded on demand and then buffered on the receiving side.

i would think a network such as this would load balance… duno if tardigrade does that tho… but it really should… so if one region does massive downloading of one file, then it will be move so its more easily accessible in that region.

in the case of videocoin i think it would be the raw video that would be stored on storj… depending on where the processing nodes are and traffic…

if we take the 1000 viewers example again…

the raw video is located somewhere which is sort of irrelevant for this… but lets say the northpole, and is online via starlink giving it like 100mbit… if 1000 people was going to stream that from the northpole they would each get 0.1mbit and all the processing of the file would happen on the northpole…

the idea with videocoin and storj i think is that instead the file when requested once or a few times, will be transferred to the region of the world where people want to view it… so the raw file goes from the northpole to approximately new york lets say… on the storj network and then videocoin video processing nodes download the file 1000 times in a basically big lan / wan type enviornment (locally)
processes the video and then streams it to the 1000 users

okay maybe it doesn’t exactly work like that… would be very in efficient to download the file 1000 times then to stream it to 1000 people…
you get the idea…

it’s to save the 100mbit connection from being overloaded and thus giving 0.1mbit to everyone

so the video data is essentially live flowing between the points where its needed and being processed and streamed locally, so only the raw file needs to move across the 100mbit limited connection once.

so storj would host the raw file and it would load balance around the world depending on how its needed… something like that

i’m sure there are years worth of nuances to it, that i have no clue about, but in short its about saving internet highway bandwidth, utilizing unused processing online…

so yeah, this could be grand for storj… or it could be nothing… all really depends on if videocoin actually solves a real problem in a affordable way.
but it sure might have potential…i don’t really feel qualified to make any prediction about it tho… i don’t have enough details yet… maybe later

i think videocoin does content processing… its basically like a virtual datacenter is the idea… for video processing…
i got no clue about how they make money … i mean i suppose google sells people data and spam’s ad’s
one example the spokesman of videocoin seems to make is that netflix runs on amazon AWS or whatever it’s called…

thats his kind of customers or something… i duno
i suppose the raw video would be stored atleast temporarily or even permanently on the storj network and then ofc for short periods at videocoin processing nodes…

This is literally in the article:

Tardigrade can provide both long-term, reliable storage for transcoded assets and serve as origin servers for customers’ preferred CDN providers.

That seems pretty clear to me. Transcoded assets are stored on Tardigrade and then picked up by the customer preferred CDN. As a SNO I would of course love to see Tardigrade also being one of those CDN options, but I don’t think the network is ready for that yet. I expect this could lead to possibly high storage usage, but limited egress because the CDN will take care of delivering the video to the consumer. Though I guess everything would be downloaded at least once.

yeah, that was quite a lot of “bullshit bingo” in that video :wink:

1 Like

It is a bit clearer now indeed. But who stores it? Each content creator on his own/personal Tardigrade account or the Vidcoin network as a whole? I believe this would make a huge difference in Tardigrade utilization.

I took it as it’s where vidcoin would store the transcoding result and the customer takes over control at the CDN step. But that part wasn’t entirely clear indeed.

The easiest way would be one big Vidcoin account. Otherwise they would have to deal with encryption passwords and maybe expired accounts and something like that.

Would love to see Tardigrade take a CDN like approach as well.

There is something on the blog now as well:

Tardigrade natively supports video streaming via a native link sharing mechanism, which embeds a macaroon inside of a URL, enabling anyone who meets restrictions to consume the data in the storage bucket.

Is that a more recent feature?

No, that feature exists for at least 3-4 months now. I can double check to give you an exact date if necessary.

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Videocoin - what is it and how to use

Your estimation is fine enough. The feature is new to me so I was just wondering. Sounds like great and much needed feature.

so i was thinking what tardigrade could be really useful for… have anyone thought about talking to steam, or other such services where one can download games…

games are getting larger and larger, are rarely downloaded by a single person, game launchers like steam would already have accounts, gamers got the systems and most likely the bandwidth to utilize tardigrades high download speeds.

and ofc it doesn’t have to replace the download, more like just a faster paid option maybe if one has the bandwidth, ofc i haven’t used steam for like a decade so i don’t really know what kind of speeds people get these days when downloading games over their p2p or servers whatever they do…

steam would really have little / nothing to loose because the downloader would pay for the download.
i think this could actually be huge… if advantagous…

ofc there is the question of how big steams game library is and who is going to pay for storing that… maybe steam could pay that, if it proves to be used a ton, since the downloads is the most expensive part and that is split between the downloaders, there shouldn’t be a huge cost to anyone atleast…

long term steam may save money on it… but i duno… thought it was a good match or idea, so i figured i would see what others say that actually may have used steam in the last decade :smiley:

7 Likes

It could also be used for a social media site; to keep things current, a Tik-Tok like app would do well. Videos are static, globally viewed objects that are atleast mostly public. A client then just keeps querying a satellite for more videos and streams from all the nodes at a rate that will likely saturate the clients connection.

2 Likes

Not entirely sure I would want to host a site on a platform where I had to pay for egress which I have no control over.
I suppose that would be a recipe for quite a financial shock :wink:

1 Like

Most big things run on platform where egress costs. Amazon Aws, Microsoft azure, Google cloud, …

1 Like

Well, I have spoken as someone who clearly doesn’t know how things work :slight_smile: .
I’ll shut up now and go back to reading the forums :smiley:

the egress by itself isn’t that expensive, but when one starts to add the costs of the infrastructure to make it work all the time, crew, hardware maintenance , hardware redundancy, internet, internet redundancy, power cost, power redundancy, install, catastrophic fails, natural disasters.

so after a new company tried to do their own IT a few times, with bad results they often just end up paying for all the potential issues to be handled by somebody else… and really centralizing or decentralizing into a cloud solution can mitigate a lot of costs…

ofc at certain sizes it has been natural that companies eventually start branching out or building their foundational infrastructure, to reduce overhead costs and thus build their own data centers.

ofc today cloud might end up making the conventional data center obsolete in some regards, because there are many advantages of decentralized solutions… tho i suspect something like cold storage will always continue to be a datacenter thing… or atleast until something drastic changes in technology.

datacenters are essentially the digital version of factories / mass production… and we all see everyday just how cheap mass production and outsourcing can make stuff…
so in some aspects we as cloud providers cannot compete, however against stuff like natural disasters, power outages, internet outages, hardware failures and such cloud is the superior solution…
maybe even bandwidth… but that gets into the nitty gritty details of internet data transfers, which lets face it… most don’t understand, even if they like to… i sure don’t… i mean understand the whole network deal and down to fairly specific details… but i also know that there will be layers upon layer of methods to optimize and coordinate bandwidth, as to keep less strain on stuff like the transatlantic cables… those puppies aren’t cheap :smiley:

like when we say we understand how a cpu works… it computes :smiley: yeah… damn map of the things are the size of big cities… lol can be explained in a word and yet takes a life time to truly understand… maybe…

a bit of a tangent there, but what i was trying to say was that, seen from an economical perspective of certain companies stuff like storj or cloud in general can be very advantageous…

3 Likes