Customers, customers, customers

There is something on the blog now as well:

Tardigrade natively supports video streaming via a native link sharing mechanism, which embeds a macaroon inside of a URL, enabling anyone who meets restrictions to consume the data in the storage bucket.

Is that a more recent feature?

No, that feature exists for at least 3-4 months now. I can double check to give you an exact date if necessary.

1 Like

13 posts were split to a new topic: Videocoin - what is it and how to use

Your estimation is fine enough. The feature is new to me so I was just wondering. Sounds like great and much needed feature.

so i was thinking what tardigrade could be really useful forā€¦ have anyone thought about talking to steam, or other such services where one can download gamesā€¦

games are getting larger and larger, are rarely downloaded by a single person, game launchers like steam would already have accounts, gamers got the systems and most likely the bandwidth to utilize tardigrades high download speeds.

and ofc it doesnā€™t have to replace the download, more like just a faster paid option maybe if one has the bandwidth, ofc i havenā€™t used steam for like a decade so i donā€™t really know what kind of speeds people get these days when downloading games over their p2p or servers whatever they doā€¦

steam would really have little / nothing to loose because the downloader would pay for the download.
i think this could actually be hugeā€¦ if advantagousā€¦

ofc there is the question of how big steams game library is and who is going to pay for storing thatā€¦ maybe steam could pay that, if it proves to be used a ton, since the downloads is the most expensive part and that is split between the downloaders, there shouldnā€™t be a huge cost to anyone atleastā€¦

long term steam may save money on itā€¦ but i dunoā€¦ thought it was a good match or idea, so i figured i would see what others say that actually may have used steam in the last decade :smiley:

7 Likes

It could also be used for a social media site; to keep things current, a Tik-Tok like app would do well. Videos are static, globally viewed objects that are atleast mostly public. A client then just keeps querying a satellite for more videos and streams from all the nodes at a rate that will likely saturate the clients connection.

2 Likes

Not entirely sure I would want to host a site on a platform where I had to pay for egress which I have no control over.
I suppose that would be a recipe for quite a financial shock :wink:

1 Like

Most big things run on platform where egress costs. Amazon Aws, Microsoft azure, Google cloud, ā€¦

1 Like

Well, I have spoken as someone who clearly doesnā€™t know how things work :slight_smile: .
Iā€™ll shut up now and go back to reading the forums :smiley:

the egress by itself isnā€™t that expensive, but when one starts to add the costs of the infrastructure to make it work all the time, crew, hardware maintenance , hardware redundancy, internet, internet redundancy, power cost, power redundancy, install, catastrophic fails, natural disasters.

so after a new company tried to do their own IT a few times, with bad results they often just end up paying for all the potential issues to be handled by somebody elseā€¦ and really centralizing or decentralizing into a cloud solution can mitigate a lot of costsā€¦

ofc at certain sizes it has been natural that companies eventually start branching out or building their foundational infrastructure, to reduce overhead costs and thus build their own data centers.

ofc today cloud might end up making the conventional data center obsolete in some regards, because there are many advantages of decentralized solutionsā€¦ tho i suspect something like cold storage will always continue to be a datacenter thingā€¦ or atleast until something drastic changes in technology.

datacenters are essentially the digital version of factories / mass productionā€¦ and we all see everyday just how cheap mass production and outsourcing can make stuffā€¦
so in some aspects we as cloud providers cannot compete, however against stuff like natural disasters, power outages, internet outages, hardware failures and such cloud is the superior solutionā€¦
maybe even bandwidthā€¦ but that gets into the nitty gritty details of internet data transfers, which lets face itā€¦ most donā€™t understand, even if they like toā€¦ i sure donā€™tā€¦ i mean understand the whole network deal and down to fairly specific detailsā€¦ but i also know that there will be layers upon layer of methods to optimize and coordinate bandwidth, as to keep less strain on stuff like the transatlantic cablesā€¦ those puppies arenā€™t cheap :smiley:

like when we say we understand how a cpu worksā€¦ it computes :smiley: yeahā€¦ damn map of the things are the size of big citiesā€¦ lol can be explained in a word and yet takes a life time to truly understandā€¦ maybeā€¦

a bit of a tangent there, but what i was trying to say was that, seen from an economical perspective of certain companies stuff like storj or cloud in general can be very advantageousā€¦

3 Likes