Did I get a bad drive from Amazon?

I’m in Ubuntu 22 and moving a node from an old HDD to a brand new one I bought on amazon.

I used the following command in terminal to do so and I left the node running:

rsync -aP /mnt/OLDHDD /mnt/NEWHDDFROMAMAZON

After 24 hours I have only transferred 60GB of data.

Did I get a bad drive from a scammer on amazon or is it my fault for not copying the orders, identify, and data separately?

These are questions only you can answer Did you get scammed by amazon if so you should stop what your doing and send that drive back asap. Dont tell me you bought a 10TB SSD those have been floating everywhere on amazon.

But you should have tested the drive in a windows machine to make sure it actually can store data if your questioning if you got scammed or not. But if you paid 50 dollars for a 10TB SSD drive or larger yes yes you got scammed.

Its not unheard of for copying to take a long time to do when it comes to many small files But 60gigs in 24 hours seems a bit low and should be closer to 200gigs a day at least.

if you have a new node, then you have veeting period, at this time traffic is only 5% of posible.
but 60GB in 24h is normal.

I just moved 2.5TB, that takes 48 hours

He is talking about transfer between drives, not node ingestion.

Maybe. Or maybe not. How can we tell if you gave us no hardware info? Maybe your new drive is scammy, but maybe your old drive was dying already? Or you are running it on a Raspberry Pi 3 and have no resources? It’s hard to tell without a crystal ball :man_shrugging:. We would need at least model of both drives and system specs.

But 60 GB after 24h is low indeed.
Do s SMART check and test with CrystalDiskMark or at least a regular file transfer to check the speeds. And do it separately, without messing with a node at the same time - isolate your test to only use one drive at a time. If it seems ok, you need to check either your other drive or system resources.

1 Like

16 TB Seagate Exos. Paid $260.

I think something is up with the drive and the seller on amazon doesn’t have a ton of reviews so yeah, it’s going back.

Just going to go to Microcenter I think.

Thank you to everyone that commented. It is appreciated

If you are using and USB adapter, maybe that one is slow. If you are on a PC, with SATA connections, change the port. Some SATA ports share lanes with PCIe or something, I can’t remember exactely, but sometimes there are limitations for some ports.
You can check the Exos if it is original here:
https://verify.seagate.com/verify/
If it is refurbished/ returned from warranty, there should be a mention on the sticker. I bought Seagate drives new and repaired in warranty, and the labeling always shows the needed info. If it is an original drive, of course.
Last drives I bought a few months back, Exos 16TB, from local store, they came in their own original cardboard boxes, with white protecting foam inside.

1 Like

+1 to remember to check adapters and any USB hubs.
What once appeared to be an expensive problem in my system turned out to be a bad USB hub :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Rsync will be extremely slow, especially on storj datastore, that contains millions of small files.

I would instead clone the disk and then expand the volume. It then should go at 150-250M
bps, depending on disk and track.

Separately, it’s advisable to test surface of any new (or new to you) disk before using, at least by running long smart test, or if that is not supported - writing and reading zeroes to entire surface.

Dang I didn’t expect to get so many reply’s!

@snorkel Thank you for the suggesion. I did switch the SATA port and did not get an improvement in transfer rate.

@arrogantrabbit that’s a little over my head. To you have a link on how to cone and expand the volume?

“SMART data and self check” using the DISKS app showed everything okay. I’m going to return anyway and get the same drive from B & H.

Get a bigger one :wink:
20TB has got cheaper. I saw some tests on it; it’s crazy fast on writes.

You can use tools like CloneZilla. Depending on your OS there might be other tools. Cloning the volume will copy underlying filesystem data in bulk sequentially, as opposed to file by file, which is slow due to seek latency.

Or buy used, 1-2 years old, drives. There is no benefit in overpaying almost double for an opportunity to experience early failure (see bathtub curve). I haven’t bought a single new drive in the last 15 years. And I have about 200TB of combined storage. My latest purchase was 4x 10TB drives, with under 100 hours of runtime, for $85 a pop, shipped.

20TB 1-2 years old there isn’t, because they just launched a few months back, and if the owner is changing the biggest and newest drive, there’s got to be something wrong with it. 16TB sh ofcourse, but, I will definitely go for the bigger one, because ingress is havenly now and energy dosen’t seems to get cheaper. So better 1x 20TB, than 2x 10TB. New drives are warranty covered. Why stress about possible failure?

this :point_up_2:
Because slow copy could be related to a slow read not slow write. However, make sure that your new drive is not SMR. If it’s - try to return it back ASAP.
They are known as slow for storagenode.

I personally do not like Seagate. Maybe they become better, but 10 from 10 died after a year. For me - it’s a red flag.

Exos is CMR. But, yeah, maybe you should go with Toshiba MG10. Has the same price as Exos and maybe is more reliable long term. As more and more I read, I see many tumbs down for Seagate, and many tumbs up for Toshiba. Personaly I have 7x Exos 16TB for Storj, and untill now they work great, but only one has past 1 year mark. Time will tell. Also Synology uses rebranded Toshibas, and sells them as the most expensive options; but this is not a guarantee of reliability, I just stating a fact.

Depending on the region you might run into problems when trying to RMA a Toshiba drive.

More smaller drives is always better than a fewer large drives, especially if you need performance.

That is not the reason. Drives that are so new are covered by warranty: it would cost nothing to exchange it for the working one; nobody would sell it at a loss instead.

Most likely source of those cheap drives are various cancelled projects or hardware upgrades.

Three things here:

• used drives are less likely to fail.
  • those drives I recommend buying (1-2 year olds) are still under warranty.
  • warranty is a waste of money anyway, you should not care about losing it: how much is warranty worth for you? Probability of failure times price of drive, right? So, 1%? And then you need to spend money on postage to exchange the drive. Instead, you get 50% discount right away upfront. Warranty is a form of insurance— just like it’s silly to insure things you can replace, it’s silly to pay more for warranty.
  • there is no reason to stress whatsoever, let alone on the topic of drive failures. Drives are expected to fail, that’s what we have raids for.

Drives are commodities. Brand is irrelevant and all drives fail.

In my anectodal experience I had way more HGST disks fail than seagate — and this is just as irrelevant. Does not mean anything. If your blacklist a vendor because of 100 failed disks you will run out of vendors in 4 days.

Red flag here would be your server’s power supply. If it murdered 10 drives in a year — I would replace it asap. Or invest in chassis that is not easy to kick and that absorbs vibration properly. How did they die? Can you post s.m.a.r.t info? Were these new drives? Maybe those were off market factory rejects?

They worked in different PCs (home and office, different vendors of PSU), but you can be right - Seagate HDDs could be more sensitive to the power supply than drives from other vendors (there was also Samsung and WD), but at least two worked in the same PC with WD drives, WD HDD are still alive (since 2009). These WD then were moved to my current home server (2013).

1 Like