Difficulty increase

I read in the new v it is dif increase, when i generated my i got 30. Why it become 30? Better cpu=higher dif? How does it work? :thinking:

Can i make a new key/node with like 40-50?

You can specify the minimum target difficulty using the ‘–difficulty’ option …

For difficulty 40 and if using GNU/Linux:

./identity_linux_amd64 create --difficulty 40

1 Like

ohh i see. thanks :slight_smile:

So since i have 30 now i cant increase it. Ned new key? And high difficulty take longer time to generate?

You don’t need to replace your identity. The difficulty is increased for a new identity by default and required for unsigned identity.
Since you have a signed identity you don’t need to do anything.

2 Likes

i know, just wonder how the difficulty/generate work :wink: so i ask many stupid things lol

Hi all! I have been running my node for just about a month now. Today I was reading the change log and it says that the new standard difficult will be 36. Is it possible for my to increase my difficulty of my already existing node, or would I have to start from scratch? Can I generated a new identity on my other computer than just swap it out??? Or does it not even matter that much about your difficulty. Thanks so much, Enzo.

It doesn’t matter at all if your identity is already signed. The limitation is only on whether you can get it signed or not. You cannot increase the difficulty of an existing identity, but luckily there is also absolutely no need to.

2 Likes

Hey, I am generating keys for my new node and the difficulty level is 36, My 8 core CPU is running from last 1 hour and I still can’t meet the minimum difficulty level, is there any way can I reduce the difficulty to 25 or 30.
Annotation%202019-12-04%20173314

No. You can try using --concurrency 12 or 24

./identity_windows_amd64.exe create storagenode --concurrency 12

I have generated with difficulty 40, if you want this DM to me

I’ve been able to create keys of any arbitrary difficulty using the --difficulty option.

./identity_windows_amd64.exe create testnode --concurrency 12 --difficulty 34

Is this no longer an option on newer identity packages?

There is a valid reason why difficulty is raised to 36

I strongly advise against anyone receiving private keys from online sources… even if those sources seem legitimate.

2 Likes

You must take my keys! I promise I will collect your payout and send it to my wallet :smiley:

4 Likes

Thanks --difficulty 30 worked for me,
by the way why storj is increasing difficulty for new node operators.

You will not be able to get a difficulty 30 identity signed anymore as @nerdatwork already pointed out. You need at least a difficulty 36 identity to get it signed.

1 Like

I wonder where you could find the correct answer to that :face_with_monocle:

I wish you all the very best.

In defense of the end-user… perhaps, it would be a good idea to remove the ability to generate keys less than the required minimum difficulty. Given a program with a help menu listing an option to generate keys of arbitrary difficulty… an end-user is going to generate said keys if possible. And attempt to use them. Only when that fails, will the end-user go looking for a reason why…

So, it might be a good idea to adjust the identity CA program distributed to end-users so that it is not possible to generate a key which is unusable.

I don’t believe it is necessary to spend dev resources on such a change. We already clearly state in the instructions what is the minimum difficulty required, and if someone goes and manually makes changes to the defaults to purposefully create a lower difficulty identity despite these instructions, they will soon find out that they won’t be able to use it to run their node.

1 Like

The same binary is used to create identities for test networks as well. And there is no need to restrict such setups to the high difficulty requirements of the tardigrade network.

1 Like