Error Codes: What they mean and Severity Level [READ FIRST]

Any insight into the following error code?

ERROR server rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = info requested from untrusted peer

With the latest update getting node info is restricted to only trusted nodes. When someone else tries to retrieve this information, you’ll see this in your log.

2 Likes

Can the event log show what peer (ip) requested the info? Extended debugging?

Maybe in Debug logging, but in this latest case, it’s the data scraper for storjnet.info rather than some malicious actor.

Hello,
I’m a node operator for more than 2 months. Usage of my node is:
258.4 GB 75.2 GB 183.2 GB (since Aug 1)
433.1 GB TOTAL AFTER WIPEOUT.

Recently, I think I’m not receiving data that I should.
When I look at network monitor for that node I mostly flatline and some spikes. It looks like it starts download or upload and then it is terminated.

Logs shows me this:

ERROR server rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = info requested from untrusted peer

----> Do I become untrusted peer or I’m just receiving from untrusted peer?

and…
ERROR: pickfirstBalancer: failed to NewSubConn: rpc error: code = Canceled desc = grpc: the client connection is closing

also…
server piecestore internal: infodb: context canceled

storj.io/storj/storagenode/storagenodedb.(*pieceinfo).Add:66            
    storj.io/storj/storagenode/piecestore.(*Endpoint).Upload:358            
    storj.io/storj/pkg/pb._Piecestore_Upload_Handler:701                    
    storj.io/storj/pkg/server.(*Server).logOnErrorStreamInterceptor:23      
    google.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).processStreamingRPC:1134               
    google.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).handleStream:1185                      
    google.golang.org/grpc.(*Server).serveStreams.func1.1:703

I created new container pointing to accumulated data and to my cert key but it seems it didn’t help.

Hello, welcome to the forums.

In regards to your data, as long as your port is open and your last contact on the dashboard is 2s or less, you should be okay. Recently there has not been much traffic on the network.

The error " `PermissionDenied desc = info requested from untrusted peer" does not refer to your node but a third party that is trying to get data from the network. You can safely ignore this error in your log files. This was implemented in the 0.17 update.

The error “Context cancelled” simply means that your node was too slow to complete a transfer, this can be and is common if you have slow link, hardware etc.

For a more detailed descriptions of common errors please go to this post https://forum.storj.io/t/error-codes-what-they-mean-and-severity-level-read-first/518

1 Like

is it fine to see in the logs?
“server rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = info requested from untrusted peer”

yes, it is fine to see this.

1 Like

Hey,

I have set up a new node and then I left it running for like 30 min and this was error was there when I checked the logs.

Can someone please help me ?

This is how it looks after an hour:

just leave this running for some days and after vetting it will start

@leovarmak

The first error is due to some untrusted peer made a request to your node. There are some people have built some tools which inspect the Storj network to collect some stats, hence your node probably got a request from one of those.

The second error you have the response in Error piercestore protocol: rpc error: code = canceled desc = contect canceled

2 Likes

hello,

from one moment to the next i had no traffic anymore and get the following error:

server rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = info requested from untrusted peer

what would be the next steps to solve this issue? have no idea and searching for it wasnt successful.

best
marco

Hello @radiolaria,
Welcome to the forum!

Please read this post: Error Codes: What they mean and Severity Level [READ FIRST]

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Pq: duplicate key value violates unique constraint “used_serials_pkey” (after upgrade to v0.19.0)

5 posts were split to a new topic: Piecestore: piecestore protocol: rpc error: code = Unavailable desc = transport is closing

4 posts were split to a new topic: Runtime: unexpected return pc for runtime.greyobject

how do you tell if your node is trusted? I haven’t recieved any data in days. I’m on v0.21.1

Node ID: 1X1usWVChWYGpwekPLqqkrs7xCAWCTnjZU8VdJ67nDnacn85ya

All i get in the logs is:
2019-09-23T17:00:33.096Z INFO bandwidth Performing bandwidth usage rollups
2019-09-23T17:45:33.351Z INFO version running on version v0.21.1
2019-09-23T17:49:34.066Z ERROR server gRPC unary error response {“error”: “rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = untrusted peer 1QzDKGHDeyuRxbvZhcwHU3syxTYtU1jHy5duAKuPxja3XC8ttk”}

Thanks

Untrusted peer is mentioned in this post. It’s not your node that is being claimed as untrusted but rather an untrusted entity requesting protected data about your node. You’ll want to edit your docker run command to include -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 (if you’re running a headless node, open it up to lan by using -p 14002:14002) in addition to the existing command.
I do it this way myself (some info redacted):

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped -p 28967:28967 -p 14002:14002 -e WALLET=“redacted” -e EMAIL=“redacted” -e ADDRESS=“redacted” -e BANDWIDTH=“20TB” -e STORAGE=“3TB” --mount type=bind,source="/opt/storj/identity",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="/opt/storj/data",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:beta

That’ll allow you to open up the SNO Dashboard in a browser and view if your node is paused. if it is, you’ll need to identify why it’s paused (the SNOBoard will likely tell you through its data) and then send a message to support@storj.io with that info plus your run command.

Veddy

` ERROR   server  gRPC unary error response       {"error": "rpc error: code = PermissionDenied desc = untrusted peer 1QzDKGHDeyuRxbvZhcwHU3syxTYtU1jHy5duAKuPxja3XC8ttk"}`

what about this?