Feb. 8 Update on SNO Payouts and High Ethereum Gas Prices

I have 6 nodes (all are about 7 months old) and didn’t receive a payment last month and neither this month.

That’s how it works @ these high GAS prices :frowning:

Yes, reading the 2nd post :smiley:

I earned around $60 too and didn’t receive it.

2 Likes

We do not hold tokens.
We postpone USD value until the next payout period. You will receive exactly the same USD value. The conversion to tokens performed on time of the tokens transfer.

Is it possible to receive payment in bitcoins via technical support ticket?

We never send bitcoins, we have had Counterparty tokens, but we migrated to the Ethereum tokens three years ago.
At the moment you have only these options:

The same USD value, yes, but not the same amount of tokens, because the amount of tokens i based on the marked value, right?

So the amount of tokens may not be the same “today” as it would be next month?

1 Like

Another thing, is that we lose the option to trade the tokens, if the marked should spike for some reason…

Thats a good point. I think a lot of SNOs are not paying out their tokens just in time. Especially at this transfer-fees.
But there is one big difference. If the SNOs get their payouts they can transfer it if they want, they have the control.
With one Payment e.g. we are dependent on storjlabs - its a thing of trust. And after the decisions the last two month I (thats only my opinion) have no trust anymore.

I still cant get it how a company who offers products in such a sensible field like storage-solutions and backups and so on (at tardigrade) can act like this and cancels the payments of their SNOs from one day to another and dont move a centimeter to resolve the situation …
I think this forfeiting of trust could be much more expensive on the long term :frowning:
I hope there are no potential customers and decision-making-people on road here :confused:

The next payment cycle there will be no payment because its rainy … :wink:

5 Likes

I’m going to just link to this:

Maybe we should ask every storjnode operator to set up a standalone ETH wallet on their PCs? This will raise computational power of ETH network and gas prices will become lower?

It doesn’t work this way.

2 Likes

Why it not works that way?

last payout I received was 64+ days ago (in December for November). Is my understanding correct the payment values are accumulating at storj side until the minimum threshold is reached?

yes, you´re right( 20 chars minimum.)

Because there’s no difference if you have 10 or 10000 nodes or 10 or 10000 miners. Any full node will validate all blocks and cryptocurrencies are designed to maintain block time by adjusting difficulty.

I think if I should shutdown all my nodes… 278 GWei is sorry stupid… My last eth transaction 7 days ago worked with 100 GWei (max 4$) after about 30 minutes it was confirmed… maybe it takes some hours to complete but it’s way cheaper

2 Likes

So I am here now, second month without payment. And still no official statement to the general procedure like to what happens if minimum is not met and a node performs GE or hardware dies or something like that.

I am very unhappy how Storj Labs is handling this issue. Really unhappy. This is management at its worst.

Rising Gas prices were foreseeable and Storj Labs failed to have a plan. It is outright terrible that minimum payout reached new heights of almost $70.

Storj Labs has chosen this coin so it is their sole problem. I really don’t care anymore if they pay more or less transaction fees.

If they keep going on like this, SNOs will call for a strike like they did when they were unhappy with Filecoin.
@jocelyn

8 Likes

a project that highlights those “fair” token payments in USD value all the time would already pay users back in USDT (tether). but they have no real financial liquidity to do so

I understand it doesn’t work for everyone, but fiat payment will work for both Storj and many SNOs. Keep the STORJ token payments for those who can’t take fiat currency and use fiat for those who can. Paypal and the like take a 3% transaction fee. As you’re experiencing yourselves, converting the tokens to fiat costs considerably larger (and non-percentual!) amounts both at the level of converting STORJ to ETH or BTC and then ETH/BTC to fiat. By saving money on transaction fees you can even be more generous with those that have to be paid in cryptocurrency.

This art for the sake of the art (use cryptocurrency because it’s universal and avoids regulatory issues and it’s also just geeky and beautiful) is running head first into a wall for the vast majority of SNOs who either will not get paid in a long time, or will have to pay large transactions fees for conversion themselves, or will never be able to use their tokens except in a limited fashion if stuck in L2 because of conversion costs.

Major cryptocurrencies have strangely become reserve assets and the ability to use them for small transactions will probably get worse and worse with time.

There is nothing inherent in the STORJ storage model (which is quite brilliant) that requires using an ERC20 token as means of payment. Sure, offer crypto payments as an alternative for those who need them. But why tie a promising technology platform to something as unreliable as cryptocurrencies.

If this is to be a viable business you’ve got to address the financial side better.

Myself I’m 6 months in and reached about $10/month - if a full year passes without further payment -which it most likely will at the current rates, you’d understand the temptation to pull the plug (literally and perhaps ungracefully) will be very strong.

3 Likes

So true. (20 characters)

1 Like