Gracefull exit successfully - now Goodbye!

https://storj.io/storage-node-estimator/ is misleading a lot of SNO thinking they can make a lot of money. Should be reworked or removed completely.

8 Likes

Really? Did you expect to get rich with just 800GB?

Price per TB on decent HDDs these days is around $30. So that would give you a return after just 10 months with 10 cents a day. You’re providing a service, not taking part in a get rich quick scheme. How many other businesses give you a return on investment within 10 months? How much are you expecting customers to pay after the redundancy overhead and storj’s cut have been added to your payout?

Storj is profitable. Easily profitable. For pretty much everyone. I can say that because my power costs are more than most and I still make a good profit. Something I was never able to do with mining. But you have to share more than just a few 100GB. And you should pay some attention to make sure your node has low power usage.

But yeah, these wrong expectations are in large part caused by the horrible estimator. I’ve been pointing this out for a while now and created a decent alternative that shows much more realistic numbers. It hasn’t yet been a priority to fix this, but I’m hoping the common complaints seen here will change that.
In the mean time I’ll just keep linking to the alternative here. See if that’s worth it for you. It’s fair pay, not a fortune for nothing. But absolutely fair for the service you provide.

6 Likes

12 cents for a KWh is not expensive at all.

Where i run my nodes it is €0.24/KWh

Lack of a better paying option does not make $1.5/TB*month any better. 10TB node with no egress and 100% storage utilization will earn you about $250 after two years.
A cheap 10TB drive is ~$160, rpi4 is $35, ups will cost another $35. That’s $230 in hardware. Powering said setup will cost anywhere from $10 to $62.5 ($0.04 to $0.25 per kW*h).
Even if you completely ignore everything except the hard drive, it’s 17 months before it’s pays for itself.

Real life example:

This just in. 10*1.5*24=250 now people. Forget math, who needs it.

It’s 360… And on average months you actually make around 2.50USD per TB. So closer to 600USD. Sounds like a damn good return on that 160+35+35+63=293USD investment. Even if you INCLUDE the hard drive and everything else, it’s less than a year. You know if you apply actual working math.

1 Like

This math thing is about as optimistic as the official earning estimator /s
First, it’s 9TB of storage since official guidelines say you should reserve 10%. Second, there is a vetting period, and last time I tried it, it took almost 2 months on some satellites. That’s at least 2 months without any significant income because data will not be uploaded. Then you spend a couple of months getting data on your node. Finally, there’s held amount and half of it will not be returned unless you GE. So you actually get about 19 months worth of 100% usage on 9TB of data.

My point was about storage payments being low. Egress changes it, but there’s still an issue of a slow start.

1 Like

Feel free to subtract 10%

Let me just point to this

Sure, if you change the scenario, the values will be different. I gave you the calculation for the scenario YOU described.

If you want an estimate for the first few years. Use this: Realistic earnings estimator
Spoiler alert, the 9TB would come down to about 462 USD after 2 years. Still a pretty great return on a 293 USD investment. And it would just get better from there.

1 Like

Not getting enough amount even after having shared 15TB is this even profitable?
And what you meant by 2.50USD/TB

1 Like

hmms… i think the 10% recommendation is just a good practice?.. storjnode itself takes into account of trash… i only reserve 150GB out of my 4TB node… thats less than 5%… i’ve never seen it breached the 3.8TB configured anyway… the whole disk is used for storj only though

personally… i don’t think the storage price should go up… its gotta be competitive to whatever options out there to have customers… if increasing storage price thus increasing said profitability of nodes, results in lesser customers due to price thus less storage to go around… all things ends up the same… profitability will be the same… with more storage in the network, there increases the chance of egress… although that egress may not be for your node

we gotta remember its not the amount of disk space we are sharing that matters… its the amount that is being used… so if you get a very large disk like 12TB, its probable you will have a longer ROI since it takes longer to fill that disk… find a disk with the best $/TB point is the better option.

going by the numbers… you would end the month with at least $20 payout… every month there is a guarantee of at least ~$14 payout… at the current storage with no egress, thats $14 x 12 = $168 a year…

we’ll need to know your cost basis to calculate your profitability

1 Like

Yeah well, that’s 800 gb, eh?

1 Like

You get paid 1.5$ per TBm.
And it is expected that you get around 5% egress per stored TBm, which would be 1$ per TBm.
So 2.5$ per TBm would currently be expected.

And since the month is only halfways done yet, your payment will be around 25$. That’s as expected for a 10TB node.

1 Like

So where’s the problem? I invested in new drives and the ROI will be between 12-24 months. If I include electricity it shifts more towards 24 months but still… That’s a pretty good investment in my opinion. And if a HDD breaks within those 24 months, I can easily return them because of the warranty.
How’s your ROI if you by mining hardware? (have been out of the game for a long time… electricity too expensive)

Unless drive fails and you have to replace it :sweat_smile: What can happen because of more wear.
Then depending on your setup if you have RAID, then kind of ok (just add +1 drive cost for the RAID and +1drive cost for replacement unless your warranty covers it) … when you don’t have RAID… well… start over?

1 Like

I have a setup of 3x8TB in raidz1. Expected ROI 12-24 months. If one HDD breaks within that period, it is covered by warranty. If they start breaking afterwards, then I already got the investment back and it would be like a new investment that with a ROI of 6-12 month for one or two drives. So that’s not bad.
But chances are that the HDDs will survive a lot longer than 24 months.

But you could of course also go with a single HDD. It has 2 years warranty and within that period you would reach ROI.
The ROI highly depends on the HDD price of course. If you buy really good stuff like 400$ for 10TB then you would end up with 12-24 months of ROI as well but the drive will have a warranty of 5 years so you’re fairly safe with that. (In my case one 8TB drive costs 160$ with only 2 years warranty)

2 Likes

Going by your disk usage your node is at about 10TB used. We’re not even halfway through the months and you made 12.89. You’re going to go over 2.50 per TB per month from the looks of it.

1 Like

He means

$1.5 per TB STORAGE + 5%(observed) of that 1TB(50GB)EGRESS = 1.5 + 1 = 2.5USD/TB

2 Likes

Are we supposed to ignore the process of vetting and held amount? More realistic earnings estimator uses the stats we observed on artificial test data. We’re not guaranteed 5% egress, we’re not guaranteed 100% storage utilization, we’re not guaranteed to get any amount of ingress.

This thread started with a post of someone who was getting $10/month from 8TB node. The node was at least 6 months old since otherwise GE would be impossible, but judging from OPs post history the node could very well be in 0% hold territory.

1 Like