Guide to install Storj on synology

Hi,
is there any guide to install storj on a synology?
I have installed docker and I have download the image storjlabs/storagenode
I am somehow lost on what to do next and how to configure it properly
any help?
Thank you in advance

ok, I think I manage to progress the installation, the container is in a status of restarting… all the time, I think I missed one step that is creating an identity, if I use this command identity create storagenode vis ssh on the synology I get the error command not found, how can I create it on the synology?

You shouldn’t create it on the synology, it would take quite long on those low powered chips. Just create it on your desktop/laptop using the binary for that OS.

Instructions are here:
https://documentation.storj.io/dependencies/identity

As for installation on Synology. It’s just installing docker from the package center, SSH into the machine and follow the instructions here.
https://documentation.storj.io/setup/cli/storage-node

Just need to follow the process as in https://documentation.storj.io/, and go to CLI Install

thank you naxbc, I don’t think the docummentation is ok for a Synology, I think I did all good but the container keeps restaring

in the instructions, I don’t have the and storage dir in the synology interface, so I tried to use the command line but maybe I am inserting the wrong paths, it will be great if we have documentation that explains this steps.

there is also in the synology interface a path which comes by default /usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin and I am not sure if this is ok

there is also a GOARCH but no information of what is this for

at the end, the container does not start and keeps restarting

It is good, believe me, I have 2 Synology 412+ running as SNO´s just fine.
First things first:

Is your Synology compatible with Docker?
Is Docker installed via Package Manager?
Did you create a folder for Data and another for Identity within the Syn Volume?

ok naxbc, so if you can manage to help me make it work I will give you a huge virtual hug :slight_smile:

Is your Synology compatible with Docker?
yes I have a 412+ as well

Is Docker installed via Package Manager?
yes, i have install via packages manager

Did you create a folder for Data and another for Identity within the Syn Volume?
I created the data folder as /volume1/docker/Storj
and I created the Identity on /volume1/docker/Storj/identity-dir

does it look good?

Ok, perfect.
How many files do you have on your Identity folder?

I have this

Yeah, you completely skipped the part of signing the identity :slight_smile:
Do you have a more powerful computer to do it to avoid doing it in the Synology?
Because if you do it on the Synology it will take a long time, days perhaps.

Also, this is what you need:

1 Like

I think what happen is that when I created the identity it placed the files in another folder, I will try to create the shared folders like you have and move this files there, might be that no?

naxbc, thank you so much for your help, I moved the certs above to the correct directory and now all is good

I have to solve now the problem of port forwarding but it should be working soon, thank you so much for your help

1 Like

You´re welcome. Rock on, welcome to the party :sunglasses:

1 Like

Sorry for late Answer…
But maybe interesting for running a Storagenode on a Synology NAS (even if written in german):

1 Like

Is there some advantage to using this versus just running docker on synology?

A post was merged into an existing topic: ÂżCĂłmo configuro Storagenode correctamente en Synology?

I’m having an issue installing/running the Storj Docker container on my DS-1618.

I have downloaded the Docker Package from the Synology Package Center, found the storjlabs/storagenode docker image in the Registry, created the container, entered in the Address, email, wallet address, amount of storage, but I don’t know what “GOARCH” is (so I left it blank). Also, don’t know how to tell the container where to find my identity folder (has 6 files in it), or where to put my data (Storage sub directory).

I should mention that I’m doing this remotely via Synology’s QuickConnect.to, so I can’t open the commandline (all attempts at SSH fail).

Docker runs this, but it keeps restarting.

Can someone please help? Thank you in advance!

I would not suggest to use a GUI to run containers. It uses dangerous -v option to map folders to the container instead of --mount type=bind option. If your drive would be disconnected for any reason, the node could be disqualified for losing data.

So, it’s better to fix an issue with ssh.

In the current version of storagenode it should fail, if data location is disappeared, so maybe this risk a little lower.
If you prefer to risk with GUI instead of straight forward setup in CLI, then you need to find several parameters in the GUI for running containers:

• Section for folders mapping, there you should map your identity location to /app/identity path inside the container (paths in container always static and must not be changed), data location to /app/config in the container;
  • Section for environment variables, there you should specify all upper case parameters like ADDRESS or WALLET (see Storage Node - Storj for reference).
  • Section for port mappings, there you should create two mappings 28967 on Synology to 28967 inside the container (all ports inside the container are static too), and for dashboard 14002:14002

For the setup you need to add variable SETUP with value true, mark container as removable after stop (I have no idea, how it could looks like in the GUI, perhaps some checkbox “remove after stop” or similar), run container once, it should exit after setup. If it’s not removed automatically, you need to remove it. This procedure must be executed once and never repeated for the same identity or data in the future.
After setup you must run container without SETUP=true with the same remaining parameters like ADDRESS or WALLET, STORAGE, etc. and with the same folders and ports mappings. You also need to enable automatic restart for the container.

I suggest you watch the video: How to Setup Apache Guacamole on a Synology NAS! (Tutorial) - YouTube
You can make yourself convenient access, among others to SSH, also in Synology

Thank you! I ended up setting the node up via CLI when I was at the server. Still trying to figure out how to pull up the web dashboard though; it didn’t seem to work although I can get it to work via CLI. Any thoughts?