Hard to create stable node

I am offline about 1 hour per 24 hours. May it be descvalification reason? I just begin my new node and I need to know it. Because I have some problems with hardware.

No, but can you enlighten us and explain your hardware troubles in order to be able to help you? Usually, it’s almost just set and forget.

1 Like

Its really based on hardware/internet connection and power, These 3 things are pretty important to uptime if you have anything failing in that line you probably need to find an issue. I have a rpi4 thats been running for the last 4 years 24/7 with no issues and I have another rpi4 that has killed many sdcards so everything isnt really created equal. Without knowing your setup its kinda hard to tell any problems with hardware.

My HDD goes out. Now I put new one. And RAID don’t work if change one disk in it. Reinstall node, data lost :frowning:

What kind of HDD are you using? What kind of RAID are we talking about? Is the full RAID dedicated to STORJ (if so, then why you choose RAID over using the drives apart, being able to offer more space)? What file system are you using? What is your setup?

Western Digital, Windows disk pool, NTFS. About setup, what do you mean?

WD which one?
Concerning setup, I think we already know enough.

Used WD Blue 500Gb, total work time low than 7000 hours. It was in common to others.

I would get this single drive out of the pool if possible and just start a node using that disk. Because if you’re using a pool, you’re defeating a part of the purpose of STORJ itself when it’s a mirrored or parity space because STORJ already has redundancy. If it’s just simple space, you’re losing the data as soon one of the disks dies.

Besides, WD blue in the size of 2GB is most of the time SMR which might be problematic performance-wise. Although I have several nodes using SMR drives, running without a glitch.

Time has taught me, to keep things as simple as possible. Most fancy setups are deemed to die.

2 Likes

Now I have 2 Tb in total. I hope it do not die. If another I will stop this game forever.

O, before I got the nag of it, I probably also killed some four nodes with about 1TB in total of data. So just keep the setup easy, preferably on Linux if you’re acquainted with it, otherwise use MacOS or Windows; in this order of preference.

So, it’s a project with some patience but really doable.

1 Like

If the data has been lost, I hope you have created a new identity, because the identity that lost the data will inevitably be disqualified.

Could you please describe, how did you setup a pool under Windows? Does it has a parity, or at least mirrored? If you use a simple pool, it’s a RAID0, i.e. zero reliability, with 1 disk failure the whole data is lost.

I use Windows standart disk pool at NTFS. What it is and what RAID type I don’t know.

I turn off my node now. Because I will put other drives with more capacitance. I do not want disqualified.

What RAID type I need to use?

You do not need a RAID in a first place, you may run each node on own disk. It would be preffered to start nodes one by one: wait until the first one almost full or at least vetted, then start the next one.

But if you want to go with RAID, any RAID with parity or mirror should be good to go (RAID1, RAID5, RAID6, RAID10, RAID50, RAID60, etc.). Please avoid using of simple pool/simple volume/stripe/JBOD/RAID0, they are not reliable - with one disk failure the whole node is lost.
Just be aware, the reliable RAID requires to waste at least a one drive for reliability, unlike when you use one node per disk.

See also RAID vs No RAID choice

I realy do not understand how setup node by node on each HDD. And how I will see localhost page with information of my each node? I can make every HDD as usual HDD drive with letter, E:, F:, G:, and so again. And must I setup node installer for each HDD?

since you use Windows, there are not so much possibilites:

See How to add an additional drive? - Storj Node Operator Docs

1 Like

And two additional options, I see almost never mentioned are using Windows Subsystem Linux or Hyper-V (or any other Windows compatible VM).

Iti is Overkill, it like if you can ride in a bus together to one location, but you will give a bus to a every single person that they can get to same location.

1. driving them will be madness
  2. resources speeded will be much bigger than nesesarry.