High repair egress, low customer egress

Is anyone else seeing very little egress this month yet a high amount of repair traffic? My node is full, and about two thirds of my egress traffic is repair these days.

similar pattern on my nodes. E.g:

1 Like

Same here. But somehow, i expected that.

You guys are cherri-picking here. You are looking at one single day and generalizing over a month.

There are days where is more repair than usage and there are days where it’s the opposite.

hmm my node is having much more repair than normal egress for the whole month (every day). Also on 11th:

But I agree, the pattern here depends on a lot of factors and you cannot draw general conclusions from these individual data points.

Interesting. Perhaps a bunch of nodes exited nearby or part of the network became inaccessible — assuming repair would come from the closer nodes? In what part of world is your node? Mine is in California.

The reason is that one bigger customer has asked us to apply geofencing on an existing bucket. So the repair job had to migrate some data this month.

12 Likes

Mine is in Frankfurt, Germany.

Ah ok, that makes sense. Thank you for the explanation.

I am also in western Germany.

Is seems that it didn’t understand the storj infrastructure. The power of storj comes from widespreading the pieces, not localising them in a limited geo area. That’s the opposite of decentralisation and what we are doing here. Dosen’t seem right to me, as a SNO that the client can choose his nodes. I presumed that we are all equal from the point of view of clients, and can get any piece from anyone… the only arbiter beeing the won races. If every major client starts to geofencing it’s data, we will see a very big discrepancy in data stored on nodes from different parts of the world, and maybe SNOs leaving… but you can’t deny the clients requests also…

Note that some customers have legal compliance reasons for requesting geofencing.

7 Likes

It’s not all or nothing. If you are legally required to keep data in a specific jurisdiction — you can still have it distributed within that jurisdiction, as opposed to concentrated in one datacenter.

So, from customer perspective it’s a win: distributed but limited to a single geo area is still more distributed than a single datacenter.

From storj perspective it’s also a win — implementing geo redundancy (and perhaps maybe even tweaking redundancy to maintain the same reliability) vs not getting that customer.

So win-win.

4 Likes

Ah, the legal stuff… I should’ve ask why the customer wants geofencing. Yeap, that makes sense.

Read what more is planned:

https://review.dev.storj.io/c/storj/storj/+/9978/2/docs/blueprints/certified-nodes.md#49

We have seen growing interest from customers that want to bring their own
hard drives, or be extremely choosy about the nodes they are willing to work
with. The current way we are solving this is spinning up private Satellites
that are configured to only work with the nodes those customers provide

:man_facepalming:t2:
This should be posted in a dedicated thread on the forum. SNOs must learn what’s coming!
1.KYC - you can’t ask me for KYC in the middle of the game. You shouldev told me from the start that if I register all my nodes with a single email, you will ask me for KYC papers. I can easily change the payout address, but the email is impossible, because it is linked to node’s identity.
You (Storj team) should offer the possibility to migrate the node to another identity, which I will make/sign with different email for each node, so I will fell under 600$ income/year.
… I’ll add more in a bit…

We had a discussion here (not dedicated thread though).

My suggestion was to seek legal advice if formation of a foreign subsidiary could eliminate such requirements in a legally impeccable manner:

If you are US citizen we have no choice because of law.
Your email address is not tied to your identity anyhow, it’s up on you to provide it in the node’s config or not.
It’s used to send you an authorization token and alerts, but it’s not part of the node’s identity.

By the way, it’s part of Node Operator Terms & Conditions, so not “changed in the middle of the game”. Supposedly you have read and accepted it, when you started your node.

3 Likes

Wait, what? You want storj to help you evade taxes? As in, you know, a crime?

And besides, whether storj does or does not send you the 1099 form has absolutely no bearing on the amount of taxes you owe.

Furthermore, you have to use the same wallet address on all your nodes, so using different emails would have been sort of pointless even if they mattered.

3 Likes

No no no, I don’t care about taxes. I’m not US citisen, either :sunglasses:.
I just don’t like sending and storing my ID papers all over the internet. I don’t know if anyone here has no second thoughts about KYC. I think I remember something from T&C stating that this might be required, but who pays attention to “something might be required” in T&C?

So, If I change now the emails in my nodes settings, it dosen’t get me disqualified?