How long do you plan to go?

Just curious how long people currently plan on hosting a storage node? I fully realize this could all die tomorrow and none of us know, but regardless, when do you see yourself getting out? Is there a storage number you cant see yourself getting past, or a timeframe that would suprise you exceeding?

1 Like

So far itā€™s paying for any storage space extension I might need to keep free space available. So for me, indefinitely.

6 Likes

Even after you stop increasing the size? Or I suppose you could paperclips the earth in to a storj node. lol

Itā€™s profitable now and still increasing. When it stops increasing it will be more profitable than it is now. I see no reason to stop.

Additionally the ā€œstop increasingā€ thing is quite theoretical and 2 smaller nodes I have that have been full for a long time see barely any deletes, so there is good reason to believe it will never entirely stop increasing.

4 Likes

Oh I meant your personal storage size. Once you reach the limit of how many TB you can dedicate to storj.

As long as it pays, granted the software does not get bad in any way that causes excessive trouble to maintain.

One of my nodes reached that point twice and I did just buy a larger hard drive back then (twice)

1 Like

I thought I already mentioned that here

Storj is making enough money that I can expand when needed. Iā€™ve already done that twice. So yes, I expect to expand again when space fills up.

I see it the same way as @BrightSilence and @twl, as long as I get a few bucks a month and it isnā€™t too much of a hassle Iā€™ll keep it running. Itā€™s also a good excuse for me to learn lots of stuff about linux, networking etcā€¦
At the moment Iā€™m making about 20$ a month with a bit more than 8Tb stored, I could buy an 8Tb drive every 10 months or a 16Tb every 15 months only with money made from storj so increasing disk space shouldnā€™t be a problem.

2 Likes

I see it the same way too. I started in 2019 with one unique storage node and hosts now 10 of them because (1) I like the project and (2) it paid for any expansion I did (and even more). So no plan for me to stop my nodes in a near future.

1 Like

I donā€™t see myself stopping the nodes unless payouts decrease dramatically.
Other than that, aging drives are my biggest concern. Replacing them with same low capacity HDDs is not future-proof, but high capacity drives are too expensive in my location. And with little ingress and a huge amount of free space already being present on the network investing in expensive HDD space doesnā€™t look like a good idea.

TL;DR: for me, most likely determining factor will be hardware failure or project failureā€¦

Similar response to the previous posts:
Unless something dramatically changes with Storj, I donā€™t see any reason that Iā€™d stop my nodes anytime in the foreseeable future.

I started my first one back in 2019, and slowly upgraded to larger hard drives OR used it as an excuse to purchase new HDDs for my synology NAS and then repurpose the old NAS drives for new nodes.

Currently have 2x 12TB, 1x 4TB, 1x 1TB, and 2x 6TB HDDs on my six nodes. The 2x 12TB HDDs are shucked WD elements that I purchased with Storj earnings. the 4TB and 6TB HDDs are old WD Red drives from my NAS, and the 1TB drive is just an old external drive I had laying around.
Plus, just recently I spun up a seventh node for the testnet with a brand new 5TB external WD passport that I found a great deal onā€¦figure Iā€™ll let that one run just for fun and wonā€™t feel bad shutting it down when I have a need to use that drive for something else.

Now granted I did purchase some other hardware so I could run the mainnet nodes on their own dedicated machines, but all in all Iā€™d say Iā€™m at least at net zero, plus then if I ever do decide to shutdown one, some, or all nodes, then Iā€™ve got a bunch of lightly used hardware to show for it and repurpose as necessary.

No plans to stop in my future.

Started my first node in November 2020. Now up to three nodes hosted on the same Raspberry Pi 3, 2x2TB and 1x1TB. The RPi and drives were all hardware I had laying around. Invested in a three-drive dock but could use that if I wasnā€™t running the nodes so not really a ā€œStorjā€ expense. Currently earning just under $10 a month so even with that dock purchase and power consumption Iā€™m sure Iā€™m net positive, although since Iā€™m still using only L1 for payouts I get large gaps between seeing those funds in my wallet. Already eyeing up larger drives tho. My first 2TB is full and my 1TB is almost full, the second 2TB about half way. With what Iā€™ve got for storj token in my wallet now I can almost afford to pick up a 4TB to upgrade the 1TB, probably the next thing I will do once all 3 nodes are filled. Not much reason to do it now as theyā€™re all behind the same IP so only receive the traffic of one node anyway.

2 Likes

Since my home server working daily anyway, I do not see any reason to stop. Also, payments from storj allow for upgrades of HDD space or hardware time to time, which is nice. Currently I have 2 nodes: on 14,4TB, and on 7,2TB. Used space is 11,48TB.

My reply will be: As much as it profitable.

4 Likes

If my node gets disqualified (especially if itā€™s for something that I consider unfair), I will have to think hard whether I want to start a new one and run it for a few years for pretty much zero. Other than that, I donā€™t see myself stopping my node.

1 Like

TIll all my drives die, at least some of them cause storj did pay for 3 10TB drives.

1 Like

I have several goals:

1. Storj is an opportunity for me to learn about Linux, Raspberry Pi, servers, the internet as a whole and make some money in the process. Iā€™m a learn-by-doing type. Meaning I mess stuff up by panicing, and then really have to fix it. This wouldnā€™t be the same without rewards/continuity involved. I learned tons, and still messing up from time to time.
  2. Break-even on the dedicated hardware (though not recommended). This is a second one that makes the most sense. I paid around 150 for the Pi+5TB setup. And Iā€™m closing in on 40. It keeps me patient and long-term-oriented. No company had everything fixed in a few years.
  3. Expanding the nodes. Both on my current node (PI4 could manage 2 nodes) as well as another location with a friend. Which also would circle back to 2.
  4. Determine if and when itā€™s worth it to claim the ā€œheld-backā€ amount. Not even sure itā€™s worth it after waiting so long to get the data in. So I might keep this running until it breaks beyond repair. But Iā€™d like to keep an open mind to any scenario for now.
6 Likes

Ditto for me on this one, although it was mostly about learning Docker and continuing to expand my knowledge of Linux on the RPi.

Your RPi4 can certainly manage more than 2 nodes. Iā€™m currently running 3 nodes on my RPi3.

3 Likes

Not stopping. Server is running anyway all little money I make with a 3tb node is a win anyway

1 Like

I run a basic node of a Pi and a single 12TB hard disk. This leaves me in the position of operating until something goes so wrong that I would have to restart. At which point I do not think it would be worth bothering with the rate at which my current node gains data blocks.

The only other ā€˜knownā€™ issue that may affect my node is that we are now outside of the period that STORJ offered a guarantee that they would not modify the payment structure.