How to add more HDD?

Hi I recently install storj In my PC and I consider to add more HDD … how could I do that ?

Please use the search. This has been answered many times.

Check out this topic.

You could also add a second node.

It’s also not a bad idea to use RAID.

But like @kevink said, use the search!

Yes, use the search Luke, but there is still no proper solution.
I have 16 drives and I do not want to use 16 nodes all sucking from the same bandwidth. This is just terrible architecture.

Please, use a RAID6 or RAID10 @m3ta it is close to proper solution for you

1 Like

Hello, I do have a 1gbps internet connection but I found out that one needs to have more space than like me 2 tb to actually use all of that bandwidth. However, I don’t know how to connect the 2 TB that I just added as a harddrive to my pc to storj. Can someone maybe tell me if that is possible and if so how.

What the software I need to run for make RAID6 on my PC with one node?

Depends on the OS. For Windows - Windows Storage Spaces, for Linux - several options:

• mdadm
  • LVM
  • zfs

The most robust is zfs, but also it’s a slowest one if you do not have a lot of RAM and/or do not use SSD for cache.

However, for storage nodes it is better to run one node per one HDD, it’s a fastest and simplest method. If they working behind the same /24 subnet of public IPs, they will be treated as a one node for ingress and as a separate ones for egress, audits and repair egress traffic. So they will work as a RAID on the network level. It also doesn’t require special knowledge how to manage RAID, and you do not waste space (two disks in case of RAID6) for redundancy. You may also start with only one disk and then run the second and they all can have a different free space unlike the same disk size (not a free space!) as in case of RAID. In case of RAID you need to have at least 3 disks (RAID5) or 4 (RAID6) of the same or bigger size (in the latter this extra space will not be used). Of course, some RAID software could allow you to use that extra space, but not always in the same volume (and this likely will slow down both volumes because of concurrent access to the same disk).

See also RAID vs No RAID choice