How to configure multiple nodes on a single server?

If you use the same storagenode you can overwrite the first nodes identitet if you havnt moved them

I know I ran the ident - it took most of a day. I’m fairly sure I used “Storagenode2”. I know I created and specified new directories for everything.

I’m not an Ubuntu guy. What’s the easiest way to search all directories for the 2 missing files?

Idk i run Debian gui. Using fileexplorer with search function.
Maybe install find or search. Called somerhing like that.
Google it

Please, give me result of this command

grep -c BEGIN ~/.local/share/storj/identity/storagenode2/ca.cert
grep -c BEGIN ~/.local/share/storj/identity/storagenode2/identity.cert

Also, when you checking your port, specify the hostname from the ADDRESS option in the Remote address field: https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/

Hey, Alexey!

Thanks for hopping in here. I had found one of your older posts which walked someone else through the same troubleshooting. I followed the same steps and confirmed I do have an identity problem. Unfortunately, I can’t seem to recall where I put the backup files (was awhile ago) when I let it run that one-time process. No worries, though. I requested a new token and will do-over when I get it. My Node1 is still happily doing its thing, though.

While I have your attention, I would like to know if - since Node1 has already been up for months now - I can just take a day and set up Node2-5 so I can just be done with it all? Would my Node1 be affected at all? If it takes a longer time for Node2-5 to get vetted, I’m not too concerned about that if Node1 is still earning in the interim. Reminder: all on same server, different HDDs per node.

I figure if I wait for each node to vet and fill before starting the next node, I may be looking at a year or so for all nodes to be vetted and filled. Likewise, if I start Node2-5 on the same day, it may take [about the same?] number of months to vet and (?) fill?

However, the 15 month clock to get 100% of earnings would have already been ticking (?), so it prolly is better to just do Nodes 2-5 all at once?

Since the same ip share all incoming traffic my thought is that your first node wont be affected by the other nodes vetting.
When the other node/s are vetted they are going to share the traffic beteeen them so you will have the same amount of traffic but shared between your nodes.

Vetting 5 nodes might take 5 months or more if you start att the same time.

Personally i would start a new node when the prior one is starting to get to 75% of its capacity.

But sure its temting to start all and just wait instead of repeating the procedure, every month or more

I’m not entirely sure how traffic division works when nodes are still being vetted, but it’s very well possible your primary node might immediately drop to only 20% of the traffic. And since the other nodes will be in vetting, about 80% of your capacity would only see 5% of normal traffic. So starting them all at the same time could reduce your traffic to 24% of what you’re getting now for the entire vetting time.

You’re also not missing out on any earnings by having fewer nodes running as long as they aren’t full. It’s really not a good idea to start them all at once. At the least wait until all nodes are vetted before adding another one, but I suggest following @John.A’s advise and waiting until previous nodes are 75% full or have less than 1TB of free space left.

2 Likes

Here is also way to have more than 1 windows GUI nodes

Thanks for the feedback. I am thinking:

1. If Node1 is already full, why should it matter that incoming traffic would be reduced?

2. Even if Nodes 2-5 take 5 months to fully vet, doesn’t the 15 month (until 100% earnings) clock start now?

Using my Node1 as a guide (let’s just pretend future = past), if I go the 75% route, then it may take 1 month to fully vet and ~6 months to fill per node. So, projecting based on that, Node5 may not fully vet until 28 months from now and fill 34 months from now. I would not receive 100% earnings from a full Node5 until (28-1+15 =) ~42 months from now. *D’oh! =D

Comparatively, if I start Nodes 2-5 now, it may take ~5 months to fully vet them all, incoming traffic may be reduced (no cares there since Node1 is already full), but all 5 nodes "could" be filled (5 + 6 =) 11 months from now AND I could be receiving 100% earnings 15 months from now.

More feedback appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

One node takes about a month.
More nodes started at the same time would take a longer time because they share same incoming data.
But as Long as as u predict i would say that the nodes are going to get vetted faster than that.

But in the end ill Guess that real try is the only way to know for sure

From an earnings perspective (on full nodes), the numbers say it doesn’t make sense to wait until each node fills before launching the next node. Somebody, please poke holes in the numbers. (pretend past = future) :slightly_smiling_face:

Ok sure, going by past data lets assume the vetting takes 1 month per node. To get 4 more nodes vetted, it will take 4 months with either approach. If you start them all at the same time, they will receive only 5% of traffic for the entire time. If you do it one by one, you get 5% traffic the first month, but the next month you have a fully vetted node to get the full amount of traffic. So 50% (+ 50% * 5% = 2.5% for the node in vetting for a 52.5% total. Month 3 you get 66.7% + 1.7% = 68.3%. Month 4 you get 75% + 1.25% = 76.25%. That sound like a hell of a lot better to me than 5% for the entire 4 months. I think I remember you saying you have 2TB nodes. At that size I can imagine not waiting for it to fill up, but given the above mentioned you should still definitely wait until the previous node is vetted or you would be trickling in data for 4 months.

Edit: Also keep in mind that right now we still have a few month of surge payouts, so getting more data and traffic faster will get you more during the surge payouts.

2 Likes

we dont know exactly may be they wil get dirrerent 5% each of full trafic and will be veeted all in a month?
This should be clerifyed by Storj Team how it realy working.
I thin may be someone tried.

It’s been the advise from Storj all along to not have multiple nodes vetting at the same time because it would take a lot longer. So that definitely means they don’t get their own 5% chunks like you suggest.

1 Like

they will not get vetted all in a single month because they will all share the same traffic between them, as they will be treated as a single node. This has been clarified already many times. Trying to get multiple nodes vetted at the same time on the same IP will always result in longer vetting time for all nodes.

“To get 4 more nodes vetted, it will take 4 months with either approach.”

How is that possible if each node would need to fill before launching the next node?

Accepted and accounted for in my post above. More feedback appreciated. :slightly_smiling_face:

Specifically regarding how many months to full earnings for Node5 under each approach. Interim doesn’t matter (as much).

Ideally you would wait until the vetting of your new node would align exactly with the filling of your old node. In a perfect world, the moment node 1 is full would be the exact moment node 2 is vetted. This is why I usually say wait until it’s about 75% full. But you have rather small nodes, and you may get more than 25% per month. So in your case I suggest you wait out the vetting only. Or maybe wait until it’s 50% full, but not longer than that.

Hey! My wife is happy with my node size. :+1::joy:

Seriously, though - as a node operator, I “only” care about one thing:

How soon will I be receiving 100% of earnings (and the holdback) from Node5 under each scenario?

Everything that happens in the interim is just noise. Especially since we can probably safely presume the node will be vetted and full within those 15 months.

So, to this most important question, your answer is…?

Earnings from egress are much more important than earnings from storage. I don’t know what this illusive 100% earnings is you’re speaking of. Right now at least, full nodes don’t seem to be a good thing. You should also not expect that all your nodes will fill up. From what I can tell all nodes store less than 5TB right now and all your nodes would be sharing that. A rush to fill up nodes is simply the wrong way to think about it. Regardless, one at a time will see your nodes fill up faster if that’s your goal anyway. I’ve given you the info and advise I can give you, but there are still a few unknowns. And this isn’t mining, there is no such thing as 100% earnings. It will always depend on how customers use the network. The only choice you have here is to have limits on ingress in place for longer or for less time. Limits for less time is the obvious choice… but it’s up to you.