How to monitor all nodes in your LAN using prometheus + grafana [linux using docker]

This is where I’m pulling from…GitHub - anclrii/Storj-Exporter-dashboard: Storj-exporter Grafana dashboard

clicking on this link:

viewing the “raw” and copy and pasting that directly into the “import via panel json” field

Yes which means it should look like mine but when you compare your screenshot to mine, it doesn’t. And that’s weird since I added it the same way. So please just remove it and try importing it again from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/anclrii/Storj-Exporter-dashboard/master/Storj-Exporter-Boom-Table.json

I added it 5 times now and I never get your picture.

Very weird, mate. I just added it again twice, and both times it still looks like this:

That’s indeed weird… I’m kind of out of ideas now… I went through the history of that file and no version looks like your screenshot. Maybe try the exporter-thread so you can debug that with @greener who created the dashboard and exporter. maybe he has some more ideas.

1 Like

Oh Wow! Nice work @kevink!!! thanks! I’ll pin a link in my original post, I’m also busy adding a docker-compose example in my repo.

Now for DQ status not working on that screenshot - it’s a bug in yesoreyeram-boomtable-panel plugin - try force installing version 1.3.0 of this plugin as latest version handles some values incorrectly. It also shifts column order when this happens

2 Likes

oh so I’m using an old version of that plugin? lol… that is weird… yeah I use version 3.0… I’ll update the how-to. Thanks for your help!
So you have to run this @dragonhogan:

sudo docker exec -it grafana sh -c "grafana-cli plugins install yesoreyeram-boomtable-panel 1.3.0"

so I just stopped/rm the grafana container, then started it again with the following command:
sudo docker run -d
-p 3000:3000
–name=grafana
–restart=unless-stopped
–user=1000
-v /home/pi/Downloads/grafana:/var/lib/grafana
-e “GF_INSTALL_PLUGINS=grafana-clock-panel,grafana-simple-json-datasource,yesoreyeram-boomtable-panel 1.3.0”
grafana/grafana

then reopened the dashboard and voila, that fixed the column issue:

Although, held amount for both Nodes 1 and 2 are still showing $0, which is not the case. But again, I can live with that if it’s not a real easy fix. I’ll wait another 12hours to see if anything changes after my next few bandwidth rollups/status refresh from sats.

Thanks so much kevink and greener!

oh it worked defining the version in the docker run command? huh that is awesome… saves one command I just added lol… Thanks.

The “missing” held amount is normal I guess. My first 2 nodes have 0$ there too because the amount is too low to show or the node is too old to have held amount in this month.

ah, yes okay, that then makes sense. Node 1 is in month 18 and Node 2 is in month 10. So no held amounts for either.

I just finished setting everything up. The main issue with my nodes were the names, I guess the exporter only likes letters, as soon as I removed the 1 after storagenode (I tried storagenode1) it worked ! Thanks a lot @kevink both for this writeup and your help this afternoon !!!

Everyone knows what’s up with that “fourth” node in the second section of the dashboard ?

EDIT: Got it, it’s old data from when I had only one node monitored, it I switch to a more recent time range it disappears.

take a look at my comment (quoted below). We found out that we need to specify a version # for the yesoreyeram-boomtable-panel plugin for grafana as V1.3.0 in the docker run command for grafana. The current version is V1.4 and there are some known issues with it that causes a couple of issues with column organization in that “node summary” table.

If your node is not in SU or DQ state (which is what you want), the latest Storj-Exporter shows it as No Data because the API data literally shows null for that.

For held amount, it seems to show No Data even if the amount is $0, which is strange.

Perhaps @greener can consider providing some kind of “all good” indicator for DQ and SU in the event of null entry in the API, and also shed some light on the held amount calc.

1 Like

It really is just the version of the boomtable plugin messing these things up. It works fine with version 3.0

1 Like

Ah, interesting. I understood that to be effecting the layout but it seems like it impacts the data presented as well. Thanks.

@kevink quick question about what to do when I need to reboot the machine running prometheus/grafana. Is it necessary to stop the docker containers before I reboot, or is it perfectly fine to just reboot while they’re running and then will they just keep running once the machine restarts?

Is there a best practice on this with docker containers? should you always at least stop containers before a system shutdown/reboot?

Edit: Nevermind, I did a quick google search and I think I found the answer to my question, that yes it’s safe to just reboot a machine with running docker containers in this case and I re-looked at my docker container start commands and they all have the restart flag, so they should all restart upon reboot.

yes it’s safe to restart. Docker shuts down all containers gracefully on shutdown and starts them back up according to their restart-policies.

so I did find yesterday when I did this on one of my storj-nodes that my storj-exporter didn’t start back up correctly. I ended up having to stop that container and then restart it for it to start pulling usable data by promethus for grafana to display.

Hmm I only had that happen occasionally when I recreated the storagenode containers. Sometimes that would mess up the exporters. Didn’t happen again since I switched to a docker-compose setup but that’s of course not what I was describing in this thread…

ah, okay, yes that could make sense. I did a full stop/rm of my storj node container on that node, then ran a update/upgrade on the machine, which I think I saw some updates to docker come through, then rebooted, and re-initiated the storj node container and went and looked at the exporter at ip:9651, and it wasn’t populating right, so I stopped that container and restarted it and it was all fine.

2 Likes

Hello, sorry for my level English)

May be someone can tell me why one of my node in grafana doesn’t show summary for 2 satellite?

In Storj-Exporter for this satellite no out data, only comment strings.

storj_sat_summary{satellite="1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE",type="disqualified",url="saltlake.tardigrade.io:7777"} 0.0
storj_sat_summary{satellite="1wFTAgs9DP5RSnCqKV1eLf6N9wtk4EAtmN5DpSxcs8EjT69tGE",type="suspended",url="saltlake.tardigrade.io:7777"} 0.0
# HELP storj_sat_nodeJoinedAt_info Storj Node joined satellite at
# TYPE storj_sat_nodeJoinedAt_info gauge
# HELP storj_sat_summary Storj satellite summary metrics
# TYPE storj_sat_summary gauge
# HELP storj_sat_summary Storj satellite summary metrics
# TYPE storj_sat_summary gauge

Without that information payout inform do not true.