I accidently deleted all data

Dear Storj comunity,

I contact you coz I did a newbie mistake, whikte trying to increase the node partition size, i deleted all the node data … (It’s 100℅ my fault)

Now i am worried about my audit score, as i lost all data, do i risk to be disqualified?

I have a second question, do the disk write speed affect the probability to get a file stored on my node?

Thanks a lot,
Ebo

1 Like

Maybe try a partition recovery tool.

Yes. stop the node until fix, you have 12 days maximum.

yes.

btw: How much data is gone lost?

I lost 0.84 tb, i’m a new node runner :slight_smile:

The problem is fixed, i basically wiped the storj partition by mistake… (Shame on me), but now everything runs perfectly, i’m just worried i’ll get disqualified due to a low audit score (for there 0.84tb of missing data).

Do you think it is likely to happen?

definitely. losing data is no joke.
but shit happens.
make the partitions right, and just start over with a new identity. no biggie for the network, and you.
wich filesystem are you using? how big will the partition be? tell about the setup!

And welcome to the community.

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome :slight_smile:

The partition is a 4.54tb ext3 lvm (two merged drives)

I’m running this on my homelab to cover the electricity costs.

I was thinking of restarting with a new identity as well :slight_smile:

Thanks for the advice :slight_smile:

1 Like

run two nodes instead, or one and wait until its full, then start another. will save some elektricity (if possible ext4) , its more fail safe.

2 Likes

Thanks a lot for the advice :slight_smile:

I started with a 0.9tb drive which got almost filled in 3 weeks and i told myself it would be easier to merge the new drive and have one node… :slight_smile:

in terms of profitability, its only interesting if the 1tb space runs anyway (1tb drives are not profitable anymore exept its leftover space) or its at least 4TB (if i remember right) to bring its own power costs in, + profit.

maybe an used 6-8 TB drive with cmr technique is interesting? how big is the 2nd drive?

in terms of scaling, you stop the node, transfer the data to the new drive, and restart the node with the changed “space to use” setting and adjusted path maybe (if drive letter changes).
If it’s an big Drive also the 2. Node approach is more easy. (and offers some reliability, if the first drive dies. and at some point, it will die for sure)

There are manuals to do so here somewhere.

Take it as an Test flight, now gear up right and fly :slight_smile:

The second drive is 3,6tb.

I just need the 3.6+0.9tb to be filled to cover my homelab costs (4.5x1.5=6,75 USD a month, and even if both drives are not filled, it will offset the power cost anyway. (Both drives use 8w so arround 1usd a month, so any payout above 1usd is profit)

I think i’ll run the node on both HDD right away, it will ensure I don’t mess up with the comma d line :slight_smile:

Consider running only the big drive. The 1tb one will be just a long term risk. You would be sad if the 0.9 fails your 3.6 tb node… vice versa its just colateral.
Or run the smaller at a later time. Maybe never.
Think on the fact that you have to leave 10% free.
Eg 450gb for 4.5tb it causes problems if you have not 10% or so free. Less for bigger drives above 14tb.maybe 5%.

You pay 9cent per kWh? Wow!

You have not a single benefit in doing so. Only downsides. So why would you do that?

Thanks for the 10% margin info. I did left 50gb as extra free space, but I’ll leave more now :).

I’m re-creating the identity, I’ll start with the 3.6tb node and I’ll see if I start the 0.9tb one (as a new node) once the firt node is filled :wink:

Thanks a lot for the advice \0/

2 Likes

Nope, 0.16€. 0.008kwh24h/day30days*0.16€/kwh=0.92€ which is arround 1USD :slight_smile:

I’ll run one node on each HDD, better this way :slight_smile:
(And I’ll run node 2 after node 1 is full.

Start a new node on the big drive, wait until is vetted on all sats, than start te second one on the small drive. The unvetted nodes get data from another pool than vetted nodes. You can see the vetting status with the earning calculator of BrightSilance.
Also, I would not join the Saltlake sat because is just test sat and is low on traffic. Put in in untrusted list in config, or put the other 3 in trusted list.
Use only ext4 fs, no raid, disable the access time recording. Put the log level on error or fatal. Let 10% free space on drive.

2 Likes

I would not, because if storj decides to subvention space on the nodes (they did this to grow the network, maybe they do it again to save it in the future) you can not take part.
on the other side, there are no downsides to let the testsat be there.

this may also change in the near future. (afaik there are discussions already,)

imho its not worth the hassle for 0.57 cents a month.

He will fill both nodes in 2-3 months; we don’t talk about future plans :smile:.
Avoiding useless test sat will give him more client data that offers egress too, even though the payout for that is … meah.

Hello!

To what i understand, the node will connect to all satellite (EU, us, ap and test), so the only ‘risk’ in keeping the test network would be to have some unpaid GB of data right?

If the node connects to all satellites anyway, the time to fill the node and egress would not be impacted ( except for the few GB of unpaid test data)

Am I right?

NO, test data is paid, subventions wouldn’t work if not !

unless you talk about the other 2 decomissioned test satelites (with new nodes you do not have the blobs folder for them anyway)

Yes

Thanks !

I’ll setup node 1 tonight now that my new identity is up.

I think I’ll keep the test node, the only difference seems to be a bit of egress :slight_smile:

Thanks again for the support :slight_smile: