Is holding trash paid?

Just as the title says, is holding trash just as normal space still paid considering it stays there for so many days?

1 Like

No.
However, if you clear it manually - your node could be disqualified.

https://forum.storj.io/search?q=trash%20%23sno-category%3Asno-faq%20order%3Alatest

3 Likes

I hope that this paid policy will not create a lot of trash. People delete it more than I thought… :slight_smile:

Funny thing is that I was looking around for a new cloud backup and was about to upload my data to the network with the 150gb free I had from when I joined as a node operator.

I will have to see how much it’ll cost me per month for ~100GB of data.

It’s easy to calculate:
Storj: 100GiB/mo * $0.004 = $0.4/mo

I was just looking at that too. What I don’t understand is the additional segment charge? I have 532,000 files with 52,000 folders to backup at ~100GB.

Then you likely have at least the same amount of segments, if you used the default 64MiB segment (“chunk”) size. If you used something like 5MiB chunk size (the default for most of S3 tools), then if you have had files greater than 5MiB, the number of segments is greater.
In your case:
100GB / 532,000 = 0.192481203007519MiB

So, the average segment size is 0.19MiB, this is very inefficient, and will cost you
532,000/mo * $0.0000088 = $4.6816/mo

Thus I would recommend to use a backup tools like restic, Duplicacy, Duplicati, HashBackup, Kopia (but you need to disable Sharding), etc. instead of a simple copy.

I am on Windows with my files so I’m not sure what the chunk/segment size would be. Would one of those S3 tools you listed avoid the per segment charge?

They uses compression and also hashing (that’s mean that the next backup will copy only a difference), you can configure any of them to use 64MiB chunk size. Some of them have a native Storj integration, not only s3. But if your upstream bandwidth is less or equal to 20Mbps, then it’s better to use an S3 integration.
The more important that they will produce much less files and thus radically reduces the amount of segments (for example 100GiB / 64MiB = 1,600 or 1,600 * $0.0000088 = $0.01408).