ISP Compatibility Tracker

Hi,

I noticed that several ISP (or countries) around the world are not really compatible with SNO constraints (impossibility to connect via TCP or other kinds of issues). Even if Storj Labs teams propose workarounds, I suppose it’s better to use a natively compliant ISP.
Would it be a good idea to maintain a table with ISP and a list of criteria, allowing potential SNO to choose the best ISP available in their region?

If you think it’s not a good idea, I’m OK with that :slight_smile:
If you think it’s a good idea, I can start with my own experience!

• Don’t hesitate to propose yours, I will update the table
  • Don’t hesitate to propose adjustements or other criteria to assess ISP compatibility

ISP Compatibility Tracker

Country ISP Allow TCP Port forwarding Limited Bandwidth Static / Dynamic IP Comments
Canada Bell Canada FTTH Yes Unlimited (Plan dependent) Dynamic IP user reported : “1000/750 Service. Have used up to 2TB of data/month with no issues or slowdowns.”
Canada Telus Fiber Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP for home users
Czech Republic Vodafone Yes Unlimited Dynamic for home users
Fixed for companies
France Sosh Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP No problem
Germany 1und1 Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP No problem
Germany EWETEL Yes Dynamic IP No problem
Germany Telekom Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP No problem
Germany Telekom Fiber Yes Unlimited 500Mbps Down/200Mbps Up Dynamic IP Tested with up to 3TB/Month and no problem
Germany Vodafone Cable Yes Unlimited CGNAT Dynamic IP with bridge mode using own router
Italy TIM aka Telecom Italia (Private Customer) Yes Unlimited & Unmetered Dynamic IP (Static only for Business)
Luxembourg Post Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP (option) No problem
Netherlands KPN (fiber) Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP In practice the IP is static. It never changed in 9 years. But they don’t promise it will be static.
Spain Movistar Yes Unlimited Dynamic IP Symetric Fiber of 600Mb
Switzerland Swisscom Yes Unlimited Static or Dynamic IP Dynamic IP is available for free by enabling an option in the router configuration.
UK Hyperoptic Yes Unlimited 1Gbps/1Gbps Static IP £5/month for static IPv4 address, otherwise only IPv6 or IPv4 with CGNAT available
USA Comcast Business Yes Unlimited 200Mbps down/20Mbps up Dynamic IP Static available for an additional cost. Static IP not recommended due to implementation method.
USA MetroNet Yes Unlimited 1Gbps up/down Static IP Had to request a static IP upon installation
USA Spectrum Yes Unlimited 200Mbps down/20Mbps up Dynamic IP No problem
USA Xfinity Yes 1TB (Extra charge for unlimited) 250Mbps down/10Mbps up Dynamic IP $30/month added charge for unlimited data usage (May vary based on where in the USA you live)
5 Likes

Instead of manually creating a list like this, it would likely be more effective to just collect data like http://storjnet.info/, perform lookups on nodes’ IP addresses and look for long-running nodes.

1 Like

I didn’t know this application, thanks!
Your proposition would be more automatic, indeed. But I assume it’s a little bit more time-consuming to implement (or maybe not a priority so far). Creating a table is more quick and I think it would help people to choose the best ISP in their own situation. A good workaround before having a solution like your proposition.
What do you think?

I run a node in Switzerland with swisscom as my ISP.
It allows TCP, has unlimited bandwidth and you can even fix the node’s IP address.

2 Likes

Same here :slight_smile: (but without fix IP)

What do you mean by “same”? Are you using the same ISP at the same location?

Yes, i am located in Switzerland as well with Swisscom as ISP, but without an fix IP.

Wow nice to see another Swiss running a node !
Haven’t seen many of us on the forum so far hahaha

2 Likes

So I’m wondering: is Fixed IP an charged option or it is not in the customer’s hand ? If so, @TheMightyGreek do you know how much does it cost?

I have the cheapest package swisscom offers, I just checked again to be sure and it’s an option in the router configuration and there’s no extra fee to pay.

1 Like

ISP: VODAFONE
Allow TCP redirect for storj port on router: YES
Limited Bandwidth: Unlimited
Fixed /dynamic IP: Dynamic for home users / fixed for company
Comments:
I have 300/20 and vodafone give with this tarif 3x Dynamic Public IPv4, so I have 3x IP in diferent subnet :slight_smile:

1 Like

What is “allow TCP” even supposed to mean? Every ISP allows TCP, it’s one of the basics of internet…

2 Likes

Germany - Telekom - unlimited - dynamic IP - no problems

Germany - 1und1 - unlimited - dynamic IP - no problems

Indeed, I didn’t get this point either.
It’s actually what is written in this article by Storj Labs team.
I think it is for “TCP Port redirection” but I’m not sure.

If @heunland is available to elaborate, thank you so much :slight_smile:

What do you mean by “300/20”. Do you mean a “/20” subnet?

I think 300 mbit down/ 20 mbit up. Also with Allow TCP i hardly assume that it means you can define the PortForwarding by yourself

1 Like

Ah ah, I just updated my previous post to say the same.

Spain - Movistar - Yes - Unlimited - Dynamic IP - Symetric Fiber of 600Mb.

1 Like

I mean 300 mbit down/ 20 mbit up

1 Like

@jeremyfritzen You should sort that table by starting letter of each country and then starting letter of the corresponding ISPs.

Better do that now than when it gets bigger :smiley:

1 Like