Issue with Duckdns, IP-Adress updated, but ping resolves old one

Hello,

I have an Issue with my node. My IP-Adress from my ISP got updated this night. In the morning I got an Email from storj that my node has gone offline. As I was checking my current IP-Adress, and comparing it to the one entered one on my duckdns account, they are both the same, so duckdns got my new IP-Adress, and updated it succsessfully. But on My nodes the old IP-Adress is still the old one, so I pinged my node adress via terminal to see it’s maybe the fault of sotrj, but as I was pinging it, the old adress still got resolved. It’s weird, that the new IP-Adress got updatet on duckdns, but when pining my duckdns, it still shows the old one. So is there mabye an issue with duckdns, that the adress did not got updated properly in their system? Is there maybe a known issue with this?

TiA

Great, that shows that your DynDNS is working.

Just resolved, not pinagble right?

DNS can take worst case up to 2 days to get refreshed. There is lot of caching. TLL can set how long a DNS records is cached. For no-ip.com this is 60 seconds.

In general I hear a lot of bad things about DuckDNS. They don’t seem to offer a reliable service, looking around other forums like homeassistant. Plus they still don’t support IPv6.
Maybe it is time to look for a new DynDNS service?

2 Likes

After a while I managed to fix it. DuckDns showed the new IP-Adress, but as it seemed, it doesn’t changed it in their database. As I changed the Adress manually, to some random ip, the Adress now also changed in the nodes section of storj. After that I changed it back to my actual IP-Adress and it now shows the right one and the nodes are reachable and working again.

1 Like

I would suggest to use a more reliable DDNS provider.

2 Likes
1 Like

Probably more like other DNS servers still had it cached.
NO-IP sets the TTL to 60 seconds. I don’t know if all DNS server respect TTL, but that would mean that someone like 1.1.1.1 cloudflare could only cache my NO-IP IPv4 for 60 seconds.
I don’t know what TTL duckdns uses.

But either way: