Issues with port 28967

Hi, ladies and gentlemen. Let’s begin with the problem I’m experiencing. QUIC is misconfigured. You must forward port 28967 for both TCP and UDP to enable QUIC.
See Step 3. Setup Port Forwarding - Storj Node Operator Docs on how to do this. "

What have I done to see if this is a port-forwarding issue? I run pfSense, and in pfSense there is a port checker. I have tested. It’s all green and ready. I also checked again with a port forwarding checker, https://portchecker.co/. It all says “open.” i have also checked the firewalls on the computer that it will be running on all seemed well it its all lableing the port and eveyting i also have a staic IP on the computer i am useing as well

Hi Lawrence, welcome to Storj!

It checks when the node first starts, so if you made any changes you’ll want to restart the node and it will check it again.

What platform are you on, Windows or Linux?

I am using Windows, and I believe I have to use PowerShell to restart this thing, but what if I restart the computer? Will that do the same thing?

Yes, you can restart the computer too.

I would also recommend Pingdom which will test your node with actual QUIC data.

This is an internal NAT IP address, it won’t work for the public internet. You should use your public IP address or DynDNS name.

How could I go about fixing this? Cloudflare with SSL or something different?

You’re telling me that their inability to communicate with one another is the problem? I’m wondering if I could use duck DNS or Cloudflare

Every customer on the internet needs to be able to communicate with your node. That is the reason for port forwarding port 28967 for TCP and UDP. If you google ‘my ip’ does it match the IP address in your router where the port forwarding is taking place?

I’m very confused. Normally, port forwarding in TCP and UDP is done in the router with both of their ports. are open kinda ish. I have a PfSense firewall port checker, and it is all green. I used a port-forward tester as well. You said router. I don’t have a router; all I have is a WAP. All the networking is done on PFs because traditionally port forwarding is done by things like Plex or Nginx proxy managers. It’s not going to work the traditional way?

Pfsence is router also, you can make nat there

which I did. it’s by an aliases witch is called Storj_Node_1 witch the Destination port range on both is Storj_Node_1 redirect target port is also Storj_Node_1. the Redirect target IP is the pc I’m trying to use I have it set to ipv4 and TCP/UDP is on as far as the protocol in aliases I have the port set for 28967

At this point you should check the log file for the node. It will detail any problem or issue which needs resolving.

You can post between three backticks

```
Log file
```

STOB I’m New remember? were do i find these so-called logs

Higher up you say you don’t have a router only a WAP… Do you own the internet connection? If you are using 3G/4G or don’t have access to the main internet router it is unlikely you can host a node.

This is my internet setup. The modem is Spectrum, and the cat 5 cable coming from it to my PFSense box. then a Cat 5 cable goes to my switch the switch is plugged into WAP. The PfSense box controls all my NAT and port forwarding VLANs and nat rules the only difference is that I’m considered enterprise hardware, not consumer Grade meaning I’m not going from my modem to router

I would check to see if you have UDP forwarding on everything as well as TCP. You may be able to get online with just TCP and Storj, but QUIC requires UDP (As I understand it) so you may have an issue somewhere in the firewalls both Windows and your pfSense or even at the Modem if it isn’t in passthrough mode.

the network side don’t make any sense ill see if i can pitchers

yes but this is TCP not UDP it is different protocols

Have you added a rule for 28967 UDP port to your Windows Firewall?
Please also make sure that you provided either your public IP or DDNS hostname in the contact.external-address: option of your config.yaml.
If you made any changes - please restart the storagenode service either from the Services applet or from the elevated PowerShell

Restart-Service storagenode
1 Like