Jul 6, 2021: Payouts for month of June complete

If the payouts are manual, you can just let mine accumulate until ETH 2.0.

1 Like

The payout process being manual doesn’t mean that a person processes all those 10k payments manually. that would be insane. It just means it is not fully automated (yet). Storjlabs is an IT startup, not a big company with 10k employees and not a bank either. Some expectations in this thread are amusing…

1 Like

It doesn’t take 10k employees to deal with some of the issues raised. I’ve been a member of distributed teams many times and those teams were not large by any means. It takes structure and assignment of responsibilities.
I think the reason reason it is this way is that is not a priority for storj . Exactly why zksync gets pushed - it suits storj to do so.

1 Like

I was only comparing to 10k employees because of the amount of payments to process.

For storjlabs it makes no difference if they pay you on L1 or zksync. It’s the same script that does the payouts. (but the changes for zksync needed to be implemented first, which took manpower).

Let’s just face it, some of the problems here are unimportant to most people and storjlabs has lots of things with higher priority than improving payouts.

1 Like

I think you’re exaggerating. What lack of transparency?

Some of the problems here really are rather unimportant. People do get paid reliably and regularly.

1 Like

What is the cost per transaction (in terms of 1 wallet address being 1 transaction) for storj paying with zksync and paying the “normal” L1 transfer fees?

IF you are a long term SNO or you want to be a token speculator and will accept zksync, on that basis then, yes. Remember for most of you that have been long term players (1) storj paid you surge payments (2) For a long time storj took a loss just to pay you. Neither of those scenarios apply now. (Which is correct for the long term sustainability of the business.) But it means the environment for a SNO with under 12 months “service” is an entirely different beast from those who have been around in the longer term.

1 Like

The last surge payment was in November, so 9 months ago…

The current new pricing for customers doesn’t cover the SNO payments, so there is still a ‘loss’ on StorJ’s side.

I would agree with you on this. There are more storagenodes on the network so they take longer to ‘fill’. This causes node payments to be smaller for longer, which means operators don’t see the fractions of cents being paid into their wallet, due to the payment threshold enacted because of the increase in transaction costs on the ETH chain.

2 Likes

I’ve been following this thread and I agree that the payment process can be frustrating, especially for newer SNOs. I would like to point out that payments for June were completed on July 6th, which given the US holiday (like it or not Storj is a US based company and observes US holidays), the payout was completed in 3 business days. Which I would argue is very reasonable.

3 Likes

Except that that is not all what is being discussed here. And we aren’t talking fraction of a cent payments either. As one other person pointed out they were just under the $21 US payment level and due to the increase in gas fees over the last few days previous to the payment date they just missed out on being paid. Indeed had the payments been completed two days earlier even I would have been paid. I’m not at $21 for sure but I’m not fractions of a cent either. Maybe $21 is not significant for most people in western countries but I can guarantee you for people in a lot of the world $21 US is most definitely a significant amount of money. Heck, I can feed my family for a day on that amount without difficulty (5 people and a cat).

1 Like

Except SNO’s are global and storj has a global work force. I suspect (but don’t know for sure) that storj does not stop emloyees from following local holiday customs. Maybe @Alexey could answer what the deal here is for storj staff? To enforce a US system on a global work force would seem rather stupid. But I get some Americans feel like they need to enforce their rules everywhere. Believe me, i have had enough personal experience of that. cough Bechtel cough.

You want a fiat payment?
Just wait some months to get enough balance.

It’s too long for you?
Enable zksync and transfer the amount to L1 when gas fees are cheaper (generally during Saturday-Sunday night). Check this to find the best time.

You want to get rich while running some nodes?
Buy a datacenter.

2 Likes

Would i be right in saying that currently payments to sno’s is actually free to storj (not including eth used to perform transaction) because the actual payment that the operators get is actually made by the various exchanges. This may not be true in time as storj may have to buy storj from exchanges to make payment or used returned coins through customer purchases. i bring this up because of people mentioning the difference in cost between price to customers and price paid to SNO, also the use of surge payments to give us a boost every now and again. Do they actual cost storj any thing more than the transactions to process.

So funny that when people talk about getting a payment the derogatory remarks about wanting to “get rich” always start to come out.

Month 7 for me so far with two nodes going.

No, because i would also need to use Metamask or use yet another wallet and I don’t want to do either. I want a simple process. Transfer to my wallet, transfer to an exchange, transfer to my bank account. Oh, and the complete lack of Exchanges on L2 is also a current problem.

You can check supported wallets on there website (eg. Metamask, WalletConnect, Leger and more), maybe even your wallet. https://wallet.zksync.io/

Other than that, zkSync is exactly what you want: You get your payment, send it directly form your L2 wallet to your exchange address (use withdraw, not transfer to make a L1 tnx) and you can exchange it to fiat.

(FYI for now you need to do a one time tnx on L1 to activate your L2 address)

My wallet is not supported and requires Metamask.

No, it isn’t. I have no interest in zksync in the current environment.

If you want to make money by participating in a blockchain network and using different wallets is too complicated for you, maybe you should consider another side-business.

You are participating in a pretty new technology, collaborating with a quite new startup and emerging market. You may also be considered as an early adopter in 10 years. So it seems fair to me that it is not as simple as selling a well-known service and being paid in fiat currency through traditional banking services. I agree with you: making things simpler is one of the biggest challenges for all blockchain-related markets. But once again: step by step.

1 Like

I’m participating in a business that sells storage space and “pays” people who provide that space with a token. I really don’t give a crap about any other part of the blockchain. As I have said before I have no wider interest in crypto. I do have an interest in internet based distributed projects and have had so for many years. Neither did I say it was too complicated. I said I didn’t want to do it. Can you please cut out the veiled insults?

What I disagree about here is sometimes the difficulty is needless. Storj itself has made a big deal about paying SNO’s in USD. Strangely enough I actually want to be paid in those USD and not to jump through too many additional costs along the process as to make any payment meaningless. Surely to actually calculate what one is being “paid” in net terms as an SNO all costs involved in that payment need to be accounted for?

2 Likes

That was by far the biggest complaint though, and zksync solved it. Long term it will likely solve more things, but adoption has this network effect problem. It only makes sense to use it if others do. Someone has to be first and I’m glad Storj is helping push it forward.

It is if they want some room to make changes. But payouts have happened during the first week for many months now. They don’t actually use the 2 week window most of the time.

Yep, I’m with them on that. It isn’t. Payouts are good enough for now. As long as there are improvements they can make to make more customers choose Storj over the alternative, the entire ecosystem benefits. Not everything can be a priority automating payouts currently shouldn’t be one. Better first make sure there is something to pay out.

I’m with you on the sustainability argument. But there are plenty of nodes for now. The focus should be on getting customers. More customers will make things more profitable, which attracts more node operators automatically. I’m not worried about that part of the equation at all. Storj can still accommodate a lot more customers with what’s already there (remember there is also still a lot of test data that can make room for customer data).

This absolutely applies now. There is still a lot of test data and traffic and even customer data is now stored and transferred at a loss since the price changes. Storj is currently losing money on every byte stored and downloaded. You don’t have it so bad… trust me.

Why? What are you basing this on? There are plenty of nodes with free space. The network is doing fine. Just look at the satellite stats. It’s perfectly healthy. Node acquisition now would just lead to less profit per node. Customers should be the focus. The nodes will come.

In that case, just don’t run nodes and run a datacenter instead. Should be more profitable. :wink:

Sure… if you argue that Storj has no value… but then what are you doing here? I see the token balance Storj has as similar to an investment runway for startups in the sense that it’s going to run out. And they will need to have their shit together on the business model and customer base before then to be able to survive. Any losses they make eat into that runway. It doesn’t make sense to say it doesn’t cost them just like it doesn’t make sense to say any other startup doesn’t have costs because they are using investor money.

I don’t think this is derogatory at all. There is an unbalance of expectation due to a lot of “miners” coming here to make a quick buck. I think it’s worth mentioning that’s not what Storj is. You get fair compensation for services offered. Meaning if you buy HDD’s for it, you can count on it being a year or two before you get any ROI. On that scale, getting paid this month or next month really shouldn’t matter. So if someone tells you this, it’s just meant to signify that your expectations may be wrong.

Calm down… nobody is insulting you, you’re just having a disagreement on a forum. No need to get touchy.

Sure… it does sound super easy to build a payment system that pays out in fiat in over 100 different countries with different payment and banking systems… oh, wait…

5 Likes

Can you actually show where I expected storj to pay out in fiat directly? Yes, I want to convert my payments to fiat but I never had an expectation storj pay me in USD. I am not someone who has asked them to ditch the storj token for whatever the fashionable token of the day is.

Ok, you don’t think it is derogatory. I do. We disagree. And again, is there anywhere in this post that I have said the rate of pay is unfair or unreasonable? I do not have a problem with the current rates. My “expectation” is the payments system needs work. Again, we disagree. The world doesn’t end. But you are part of the clique of long time players who no longer faces many of the issues of newcomers. Of course it would be expected you see things differently. How many payments did you miss out on in the last 4 months? 1 I think it was? Your self interest is in a different place.

I can accept this as fact - though the cause is the pricing change rather than spending many times the value of transfers in fees as it was before. But yes, storj is still losing money. I am someone else who awaits with interest the forthcoming changes to pricing for SNO’s.

1 Like