Looking for help to set up RAID6+Dual SSD cache

I have 12 4TB SMR drives that I wish to set up with RAID6, and use two SSDs as a cache for the array. I know how to set up RAID6 in Win 10, but I am not sure at all how I would connect an SSD cache to it.

All my drives are external, using USB 3. They are connected to twelve ports, which share 6 individual controllers.

I read somewhere that setting up the SSDs in RAID1 is a good idea, for better reliability.

I have a few questions:

1. How do I set up the SSD cache in connection with the RAID6 array?
  2. Does using an SSD cache in this setup add additional corruption risk compared to just using the HDDs in RAID6 without SSD cache?
  3. Pros and cons?
  1. For Windows you should probably get a hardware RAID controller that has this feature.
  2. If you are using it as write cache, it could be. Depends on the implementation.
  3. SSD cache would improve performance, but SSDs and the controller cost money.

SMR drives are not that suitable for this as they could have problems with heavier loads. Then again, using a big array would distribute the load.

1 Like

The cache is available on server version of Windows

1 Like

I wonder how Storage Spaces Direct handles SMR drives.

1 Like

I wonder the same :slight_smile:
I think it could work but it’s better to test

1 Like

Also, isn’t S2D supposed to be a cluster? Minimum two servers, 10G network cards with RDMA as requirements. Running the node on a cluster would be great IMO, but may not be what the OP wants.

Alternative for Windows would a a RAID controller, but some require special SSDs for the cache, while others can work with any SSDs.

1 Like

With a SMR drives I would like to recommend to use one node per drive. They will spread the load between them and they should work much better than in RAID.

2 Likes

Thanks for all the great answers. It got me thinking a bit, and I think I am now considering to go for multiple nodes instead. That leaves me with some questions though. My setup is on a single machine on one network, but I must use VPN since I cannot access local router for setting up my ports. Notably, then, my VPN provider auto-assigns one single port depending on which VPN server I choose, and as far as I can see I cannot open up more ports.

1. Doesn’t each SNO node require a unique port? If yes, does my VPN setup prevent me from setting up multiple nodes?

2. How do I go about dedicating one CPU core to each node, if I need to set up 12 nodes and only have 4 cores (8 logical processors)?

3. Will dedicating all cores to SNO nodes make my machine unusable for other activities? I use it for heavy browsing (50+ tabs, multiple windows and browsers) and running 5 displays.

4. Can I monitor all nodes in a single dashboard?

5. Is Docker-based setup the only realistic way of doing this, or can I use GUI?

The storagenode (as any published service) requires the unique external port (on the same IP). So, yes - with your VPN provider your can publish only one storagenode directly.
The recommendation regarding CPU is one core per node, however you can run more nodes if your CPU is powerful enough.
Usually you can use the same PC for a regular tasks, but if your bandwidth is used on 100%, you likely will have timeouts on sites or slow response.
You cannot monitor all nodes in one official dashboard at the moment, however, you can use other monitoring solutions for that: https://forum.storj.io/tag/monitoring
The docker is an officially supported way, but you can use a Windows Toolbox (search here on the forum) instead. It’s supported by the Community.

1 Like

running raid6 on smr is a bad plan thats for sure… your iops will be the same as 1 smr hdd…
any conventional raid setup on smr is generally a bad idea… as it compounds the already great weakness of the SMR tech

i would go multiple nodes

1 Like

I looked at Windows Toolbox and Windows docker, and they both seem like viable solutions for setting up multiple nodes. But, if I understand it correctly, there is no “escaping” using a unique port for each node, not even when using docker? Because if that is true, then my only option is to set up Raid and make a single large node, due to my single port restriction from my VPN.

Unfortunately no. Each node has to use its own public port.

1 Like