Messed up the configuration by creating two configuration mounting points for storj Data and configuration file

I messed up again by hurrying up to meet the downtime. It was the first time since the last Storj setup back in 2018/19. I thought I can setup my node again by reinstalling the debian OS. But unfortunately I used “mkdir /mnt/…” command from the site documentation.storj.io which was not needed. I apologize for being a liability to all the SNOs. Now, I want to return the data to the network. Please, help me do it!

Hi Mason,

Can you give me a summary here of where you’re at. You have installed the software but your drive mount isn’t correct? Is that right? Or did you wipe out the data?

No, I have not wiped my data but I accidentally created two mount points for my storj data!

Are they named the same thing, or different? You can create multiple mount points without an issue if they have different names. If you do an lsblk what does it return?

There are two mount points for the same ID of the same Storj Data. I partitioned my drive naming STORJ DATA so that I can use that partition of my HDD just to store the data from storj only. But when there was a little problem with the node, I reinstalled the OS. That’s where all the problem began. I, then followed the documentation and later knew there were other things to omit while following the steps from the documentation and redirecting the node to the data. I accidentally mounted the data to the wrong partition creating a new folder in “/mnt/Strorj”.

The last picture shows the two partition (Viz.: One first one with random number is the old data partition which has the original data of 19 GB and the other folder is the new mount point).

What do you mean? Which name are you talking about?

Are you using the same identity? Or is this a complete reinstall? Because if you are using a new identity the data is not going to work.

If you are using the same identity, can you just change the config to point to the new location of the data?

Will it work? If it does how can I do that?

No, I have the identity and the data even if the OS is reinstalled. I just pointed out the wrong path. But as you can see there are the same files and folder names even in the new directory like in the old data directory for storj.

Well, assuming your mount has the correct permissions, you would just change the mount path in the docker run command.

How would I do that? Please tell me the steps!

Sorry, but your old node had 19Tb, not 19Gb?

How come? I was in the verge of vetting. I started a week ago!

I understood that the node was from 2018…
my mistake

So, you haven’t yet installed docker and setup your node? You can continie following the instructions but make sure your config and identity are backed up so you don’t accidently wipe them out with a new one. If you are confused you can ask here but the steps are already laid out in the docs so ideally it would be best to start there.

If there are two storage data folder for the same node, can I merge it as one?

Is your node running and has stored data in a second folder? I’m still not clear where you are at. If you have stored data in a new folder and thus divided your data, you should just start over. You can’t merge them and you’ll ultimately fail audits when data turns up missing in one folder or the other.

Oh, so you are talking about 2018? I had no experience at that time. I returned more than 50% of my data at that time. Without knowledge there was an outage while I was performing a graceful exit. So, I just thought there would be no point of resuming the graceful exit. But I came to know that, the resuming of graceful exit was possible.