Minimum CPU & Memory requirement for 1.0 Gbps unlimited Fiber Optic internet

Can I run a node on a 3.0 GHz dual core cpu with 4 GB of RAM running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.
I have a PC shop and am thinking about running multiple nodes on about half a dozen PCs which are sitting around.
Unlimited Fiber Optic internet with 1.0 Gbps upload and 1.0 Gbps download is already up and running.
For multiple nodes, how will I forward the IP to different nodes connected to the same router/network?

https://documentation.storj.io/before-you-begin/prerequisites

Thanks. I have seen that already but i can not find min CPU & RAM requirements there.

The software runs even on a Raspberry Pi3 so your specs are fine.

However since you are behind a single IP, you don’t get more traffic or data if you run multiple nodes, so one PC is enough.

2 Likes

Cool. Thanks.
Would it be correct to say that we can run only one node on a single IP or there are options to run more than one nodes from single IP but they have no benefit?

There is no advantage to have multiple nodes on the same IP address or subnet. If you want to run more than one node, you can, but you’ll still get the same amount of data as both nodes would get combined. Our network design requires strong nodes that are geographically distributed—we do this in case a specific area is impacted, we’re able to reconstitute our users’ files.

3 Likes

Thats great!
I am going to start a node with 8 TB HD. With my 1.0 Gbps u/d Firer Internet connection, roughly how many token I will be able to earn?
Also, can I use my MEW wallet for receiving the rewards?

It’s really hard to predict exactly. All I can say is I’ve been a SNO since March and earned 1800STORJ so far. We’ve had a few months with surge payouts and a bonus payout as part of that though, so it’ll probably not be that much going forward. Then again, it’s been in alpha and beta until now and production might actually some increase in use of the network. Consider this an extremely rough indication.

1 Like

Yes you can use MEW for receiving your payouts. Just be sure to save your backup of the passphrase/keystore file in a safe place (preferrably separate from the computer you run your node on).

1 Like

Thanks for the tip. Will do.

Thanks. How many TBs of HD you made available during that period ?

I am also wondering, how frequently the rewards are paid?

payments are once a month.

1 Like

@suhailsadiq - hello! You might be interested in this recent thread about payouts as well

I want to know how much I will get payout and when it will be calculated and I can see the earnings

1 Like

I’m sharing 10TB but used storage hasn’t gone over 5TB yet and is hovering at 3.5TB right now. So anything 5TB or over would probably have seen similar income over this period.

1 Like

How it can be? there is no garbige collector as it was told, then it very small amount of data in half a year.

there were some data purges during that time where all data was wiped.

There were network wipes. But garbage collection is also not needed for deleting data from nodes if everything goes as it should at the time of deletion. Your node deletes data when the uplink does. Unless something goes wrong in that transaction for one reason or another. There have been a few different reasons why data can stay behind if for example your node is unreachable during the delete operation. Garbage collection is a fallback, not the core method for removing data from a node.

4 Likes

@kevink: Technically the software does run on a Raspberry Pi3 indeed, however apparently I read somewhere it needs some fine-tuning so it does not process too many operations in parallel, otherwise it may respond too slowly to network requests.

Besides, my Node runs on a Raspberry Pi 4B which is the most powerful Raspberry Pi to date, and I noticed that whenever there are uploads/downloads, it actually makes the CPU work pretty hard:

On the left: Newtork activity (charts go up to 10Mbit/s)
On the right: Mean CPU load

What I see is that for an average of 3 to 5Mbit/s trafic, there’s one core used to approximately 60%.
Not sure if it’s because of compression/encryption but looks to me like the Storj software is not light at all on CPUs.

I could be mistaking, but I think Sotrj would require a pretty solid CPU for sending/receiving at 1Gbps speed.
That’s my 2cts, if anyone has better insights on this, I’d be interested to know more though :slight_smile:

Look into this post

For one Gbit (if it will utilize on future), I recommend look not only to CPU, but and other components of you infrastructure (router, disk system). I hope we will see soon detailed hardware recommendations and best practices for storage node build :wink: