"Misconfigured" - but everything is set right?

Hey folks.

I had StorJ running on a Windows computer but it was getting old. So I moved it to an Unraid. I copied all the data over (took days…) and then started up StorJ. It runs and all the ports are open. I can see the ports from the outside that are open.

But for some reason the QUIC keeps coming up as Misconfigured.

What am I doing wrong? How do I fix this?

Hello @JeffersonNunn,
Welcome to the forum!

Make sure that your docker run command have port mapping for UDP protocol, i.e.

-p 28967:28967/tcp \
-p 28967:28967/udp \

and you made needed configuration: Linux Configuration for UDP - Storj Node Operator Docs
and added UDP 28967 port to the allowance inbound rule of your firewall.

Hello,

Yes both of these things are done.

I can query from another node on the same network to the Storj and see that the ports are open:

bash-3.2# nmap 192.168.40.27 -sU -PN -n -p 28967
Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-04-14 14:13 CDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.40.27
Host is up (0.0067s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
28967/udp open|filtered unknown
MAC Address: A8:A1:59:3E:B1:6D (ASRock Incorporation)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.40 seconds
bash-3.2# nmap 192.168.40.27 -p 28967
Starting Nmap 7.93 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2023-04-14 14:13 CDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.40.27
Host is up (0.033s latency).

PORT STATE SERVICE
28967/tcp open unknown
MAC Address: A8:A1:59:3E:B1:6D (ASRock Incorporation)

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 9.27 seconds

And it is open through the home firewall as well - rule for 28967 tcp/udp is open

How do I resolve this?

You need to make sure, that you have the port forwarding rule for the UDP 28967 port as well.
And please check your port mapping in the docker run command, since nmap checks only TCP port by default.

Please examine the nmap 192.168.40.27 -sU -PN -n -p 28967 scan that I did above.

This is inside the local network, but not from external. So, perhaps you did not forward UDP 28967 on your router or did not allow it on your firewall on your router or between the router and Unraid or on Unraid itself.
Plus this response:

means that UDP is closed as well.

Could you please show your docker run command? You may mask your private info.

I’m running on Unraid so I do not know how to show a “run” command. But here is some information. It pulls from Docker

And here is a screenshot:

I see. Some kind of Community Unraid application for storagenode.
Then you need to check all firewalls starting from Unraid’s one, you need to allow incoming connections for TCP 28967 and UDP 28967. Right now the UDP port is blocked (“filtered”).

I have tried everything to check TCP / UDP … it appears that UDP is open. Still the node says “misconfigured” for QUIC.

Pingdom 2023-04-17 10-52-52|690x277

If it would be open, the node could be contacted, but it’s not.
Is it always misconfigured or when you refresh a dashboard it some times OK?
The node contacted each satellite every hour by default and the satellite is trying to contact the node using provided external address. If it cannot contact it via QUIC (UDP), you will see “Misconfigured”, if it cannot contact via TCP, you will see OFFLINE.

I fear that I am not being clear. I have left it running for days and it remains “misconfigured” even though UDP is open and reaching the node. As seen by Pingdom - it can be reached via UDP and TCP.

Here is the dashboard

Here is the logs saying unreachable – even though pingdom shows reachable

{“Process”: “storagenode”, “Satellite ID”: “121RTSDpyNZVcEU84Ticf2L1ntiuUimbWgfATz21tuvgk3vzoA6”, “attempts”: 11, “error”: “ping satellite: failed to ping storage node, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:28967: connect: no route to host”, “errorVerbose”: “ping satellite: failed to ping storage node, your node indicated error code: 0, rpc: tcp connector failed: rpc: dial tcp xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:28967: connect: no route to host\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatelliteOnce:149\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Service).pingSatellite:102\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.(*Chore).updateCycles.func1:87\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Run:160\n\tstorj.io/common/sync2.(*Cycle).Start.func1:77\n\tgolang.org/x/sync/errgroup.(*Group).Go.func1:75”}

Please refer to Pingdom in the last screenshot. This shows that it can connect.

I am already slated to be disqualified – I hope that I can get this resolved soon. My nodes are already suspended now.

Your status is offline. Your node is not working properly. Forget QUIC for a moment, which is UDP and it only makes that check on start up. You are not getting TCP packets. You may have something else listening on that port, so that Pingdom is telling you it is open, but your node is not getting traffic on it. I would also double check with yougetsignal.com

There is nothing else running on that port.

If I stop the service, 28967 does not respond on TCP / UDP. If I start the service, 28967 responds on TCP and UDP.

Then something is blocking packets to your node from the Satellites. The software isn’t at issue, so it’s definitely your network configuration or your ISP’s configuration. Are you running some kind of intrusion detection that may be blocking packets?

No. As shown above, I can contact the nodes from:

1. A local PC to that device. I can use TCP / UDP. If the service is stopped, it shows closed. If the service is started, it responds.

2. From something like Pingdom that checks both QUIC and TCP. It reaches no problem.

3. Any port checking tool shows TCP and UDP open to 28967

On all 3, if I stop the service, it does not respond. If I start the service, it responds.

Ok, well then I have no idea. Sounds to me like packets are being blocked from the Satellite to your node. Possibly because the IP itself is being blocked, and that is why it works for you from other locations. Because those locations are not being blocked.

The node isn’t getting packets, that’s what the error is saying. Why not?

I don’t know. I wish that there was more that I could look at.

Are there commands that I could run from inside the docker to help to troubleshoot this?

Can you share your run command? You can hide the personally identifiable info.

It’s setup on an Unraid. I could share the entire Docker Inspect if there is a way to DM?

try to check your node like this HTTP://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:28967 xxx is your external ip or domain if tou use ddns. it shold show you
{
“Statuses”: null,
“Help”: “To access Storagenode services, please use DRPC protocol!”,
“AllHealthy”: true
}
if you don see something like this then you have bloked external ports or something misconfigured

1 Like