Moving node to NAS

Hi all,

I was thinking about moving my node to NAS and am now looking to purchase the said NAS. I’ve been doing some research and have found an info that says that containers require at least 4 GB RAM.

So I was wondering what are minimum HW requirements for the NAS to be able to run the node (aside from CPU that supports containers, enough disk space and good connection).

I was thinking about getting either Synology DS220J or QNAP TS-230

the TS-230 is EOL. If it’s specifically between those two i’d go Synology for that alone.

If you’re wanting to invest more for other purposes, find one with an Intel Processor so you have the option to put TrueNAS Scale on it in the long run.

Hello @giosal I have a qnap ts230 where they turn 2 node. The biggest problem is the filewalker every time they update, the I / O levels go up a lot, but for now it holds up

Synology DS220j there is no Docker package
and I have not heard about the Storj application for DSM

It’s not specifically between these two, just couple of cheaper examples.
Thanks for the reply, will take a better look at available options

My bad, I think you’re completely right about DS220j.

While there’s no Storj app for DSM, there definitely is a docker container you can run and download.

What about QNAP TS-231K or TS-233? My main question remains - is 1 or 2 GB RAM enough to run one node?

2GB was enough for my box with 13 TB worth of nodes. But barely enough, not much RAM dedicated to disk caches, so most operations were quite slow.

Ok, i see I need to provide a bit more details.
I’m planning to run one node with 3.5 TB disk space, optionally, increasing it later to 7 TB by adding second disk (in storage space similar mode RAID0?)

but on DS220j you won’t run the container because there is no Docker package (engine for Docker)

Do not use RAID0 - the one disk failure and the whole node is lost. In such a case (gradually add disks), it’s better to run a separate node per disk, just generate an identity, not clone it (!) and follow the guide: How to add an additional drive? | Storj Docs

1 Like

You can run Docker only on Synology plus models, with 2 or more bays, and at least 1GB RAM, like DS216+, DS218+, DS220+. I recommend DS220+, for the better CPU and support for bigger HDDs. I personaly go with DS220+ and 2 Exos 16TB HDDs per location.

The big problem with moving nodes to NAS, that I faced, is the huge number of files that must be moved. I tryed to move a 4 TB node from win PC to DS and showed me an ETA of 2 days. I think the node is suspended if it stays offline for so long. I didn’t tryed to install the NAS HDD into PC, maybe will speed things up…

You can migrate it online: How do I migrate my node to a new device? - Storj Docs, only the last sync is performed offline and it should not take too long.

Sorry for misunderstanding, I was actually speaking of Synology in general when saying that there is Docker container

Thank you for great advice!

So, 1GB RAM would be enough? That’s good news.

Thank you all for your answers and your help!
Now, last question - would you recommend going for QNAP or Synology?
For me, QNAP looks to be easier as it has a dedicateed app.

The app or the lack of it is not a problem. It’s very easy to start a storagenode on Synology also, without a dedicated app. Fewer things to go wrong. You can find reviews and comparitions for most models of Synology vs QNap, for the hardware part. For the software part, I prefer Synology because there is no thirdparty dev (except for the optional addons) and DSM seems more stable and secure than QNap. But, I don’t have any expirience with QNap. If you have questions about Synology installation, just check all my topics. I got answers from the community for all things that should arise.
One of them:

If you’re talking about the QNAP storj app, it is a community app and not officially supported by Storj Labs. Last I heard it was outdated anyway. So I would recommend going with anything that can run docker. And the rule of thumb is 1GB of ram per node, although my nodes typically use less that 100MB during normal operation.

2 Likes