My ISP block all my nodes =(

Hello, today I realized that my ISP has completely blocked all my nodes, technically I think they blocked my port forwarding.

I think I will have to abandon the project, after almost 2 years.

Is there a way to close everything in an elegant way?

I will try to continue seeing with my ISP what to do, but I see it very complicated to be able to solve the problem.

Wow that’s bad to hear. Can you give more information why your ISP acts this way?
I have always thought some ISP might see a TOS violation if a home user uses a private line in such a business fashion and might take action if there is big traffic going on.

1 Like

I’m probably having a lot of traffic for a “normal” user (3.4TB download 0.7 TB upload).
The problem is that they simply cut everything, without warning, surely for violating some rule of “good use” or some clause of the contract, I could adjust some parameters to comply with their legal aspects, but for now my nodes are offline.

My ISP is vtr.com from Chile

What about changing the ISP?

Wait, did they actually say you did something wrong?

They may have just put your connection behind GCN. A lot of ISPs are doing that these days. It’s definitely worth to give them a call and say you need a publicly accessible IP. It doesn’t have to be static. Another forum user gave a tip to say that you want to be able to access your IP camera. That way you don’t have to bother explaining Storj. So far everyone who has asked their isp for a public IP has gotten one. They seem very open to that.

4 Likes

There is no way for an ISP to prove that you are getting any returns out of storj, i.e. you have access to a certain ERC-20 adress.

It is not a matter of returns. It is considered a business use.

Here is a snippet from german Vodafone general terms for home users:

Customer is obliged to

not to use the services to permanently use a computer as
to make servers accessible and not access to the Internet
for permanent networking or connection

It is different from ISP to ISP. But some are stricter than others and don’t even allow Wifi Hotspots or Tor usage.

Yeah, so you violate the ToS by having your router configured to hold the connection 24/7 which is of course utter bs

And as I have an experience with ISPs in Germany, they are offer a much worse internet than in other countries, maybe except USA (Comcast)
And you usually cannot switch the ISP… Except using LTE, which is not great too, if you are not in the megapolice…
I sympathize with your situation.

or they may just assume it’s some kind of malevolent traffic they cannot identify… might simply be a mistake…

Here it is common that you have a dynamic IP and that there is an Isp forced disconnect every 24 hours. There is no technical reason for any of this. They just make sure. This is feature for home users.

Oh and yes, these terms are very broad so that they can go after you easily if they don’t want you as a customer any longer.

1 Like

I know all that, I have multiple DSL contracts in germany :wink:

So if they receonnect me every day, I’m not running a permanent service anyway, so that’s good, eh? ;D

1 Like

I had that long ago when I played around with a Tor node. It generated excessive traffic in no time and soon the ISP blocked all generally known Tor ports for my line.

You can easily switch to a reseller that uses Telekom or Vodafone lines but offers different (maybe better) conditions.

1 Like

:grin: You do. Even worse: You are circumventing their security measures to prevent that. That could be considered as another and even more severe breach of contract. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

well if i was in charge of the ISP network… i would have a system tracking unknown traffic and if it keeps going for extended periods, i will assume the consumer computer got hacked or malware… so blocking the network traffic saves money, and if its a mistake people will call in…

and if it was correct you don’t have issues with malevolent network traffic and whatever damage that can do online… because part of the blame would ofc rest on the ISP hosting the services if it was malevolent enough…

so i would simply assume it’s something like that… and if you call in and tell them you need it open i’m sure in the most cases they will simply open it up again…

but yeah it might also simply be because they just want to bandwidth cap…
and then ofc its down to the TOS

It was really long ago. If I recall correctly I changed ports for testing and the node was up and running at full speed again. So if there was such a protection, it should’ve kicked in for the changed ports as well. But it didn’t.

each case would most likely be different… just trying to say it might not be the isp trying to purposely shutdown peoples connection… after all that is the service they are selling… so :smiley: unless if they have a monopoly then it’s dangerous ground for them

I get that. I was just offering general thoughts, not knowing if it could be the case in this case.
However generally speaking running a Storj node could be prohibited by ISP. But same goes for other business models of the sharing economy. Renting out your apartment on AirBnb or using your private car as an Uber driver might get you into trouble as well.

yeah they may want one to move to an enterprise internet connection… i suppose one could also compare it to water … or electricity… there are limits even if it doesn’t seem like it from the local perspective…

like say if you just open the water and let it run… eventually they would cut it off just because the numbers get so absurd they assume something is broken… like wise with electricity… if you don’t load balance your phases then your bill will increase greatly… or if you pull to much you blow a fuse somewhere… even if the system can “take” it…

another thing in your case could be that other people had used the tor protocol for something malevolent or it was in the tv or some documentary somebody watched at the ISP and the thought… that seems dangerous… shut down those ports…

so many options… and different practices around the world…