New Space for 1 IP and 1 node

Hello,

Is it possible to add new space to the remaining node on Windows?

if you mean to allocate more space on existing disk: How do I change values like wallet address or storage capacity? | Storj Docs

If you mean to migrate to a bigger disk: How to migrate the Windows GUI node from one physical location to another? | Storj Docs

If you mean to add a new disk, then the short answer is “no”. You need to setup a second node with a new generated identity (and a new name) and either setup it with a docker (supported by Storj) or with Win GUI Storj Node Toolbox (supported by the Community).
See How to add an additional drive? | Storj Docs

The longer answer - you can add a new drive to the same node, if you would use a Windows Spaces or RAID, but it requires moving all data to somewhere, the online conversion is not possible. Moreover - you need to create a virtual disk with parity, otherwise with one disk failure the whole node is lost, so you need to have at least two new disks with the same size (in most RAID systems) as a first one, the minimum amount of disks for RAID5 (Windows Spaces with parity) is three disks, and one disk will be wasted for parity.
Using RAID5 with todays disks is very dangerous - you can lost a whole array during rebuild because of bitrot after the one disk failure. So, you need to use at least RAID6 (can survive two disk failures) or RAID10, but you will waste two disks for parity instead of one in case of RAID5.

So, if you want to add only one disk - then start a new node on it. Two nodes in the same subnet /24 of public IPs will receive the same amount of data as a one node, so you will have a RAID on the network level. If the one node is lost - you will lose only that part of common data, not a whole dataset.

See also RAID vs No RAID choice

I need some help editing identity-dir and storage-dir.

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET=“0x00000000” -e EMAIL="mygmail@gmail.com" -e ADDRESS=“mystaticip:28967” -e STORAGE=“12TB” --mount type=bind,source="<identity-dir>",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="<storage-dir>",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest

docker run -d --restart unless-stopped --stop-timeout 300 -p 28967:28967/tcp -p 28967:28967/udp -p 127.0.0.1:14002:14002 -e WALLET=“0x0000” -e EMAIL="myemail@gmail.com" -e ADDRESS=“mystatic:28967” -e STORAGE=“12TB” --mount type=bind,source="<myemail@gmail.com:1DQeRB6iuMni8pkwMQo3Hw893Tyk5cfGW7QWRfVreXpmd3r8JAZfHXhErmK6DeSY9t>",destination=/app/identity --mount type=bind,source="<M:>",destination=/app/config --name storagenode storjlabs/storagenode:latest

Is this correct

<identity-dir> Replace it to the location of your identity files. You can copy the absolute path from the output of the identity commands you ran earlier.

<storage-dir> Replace it with the local directory where you want files to be stored on your hard drive for the network.
Please consider using a subfolder instead of the root of the disk, this could prevent starting from scratch if the disk were to disappear/accidentally disconnect.

1 Like

replace <identity-dir> to something like "C:\Users\Noder\AppData\Roaming\Storj\Identity\storagenode2" and <storage-dir> to M:\

However, it’s recommended to move the identity from the default location to the disk with data and create a subfolder on disk to store node’s data.

The exact path to the identity you can see by this command in PowerShell:

ls $env:AppData\Storj\Identity

You likely would have a storagenode and storagenode2 folders (if you followed the guide).

1 Like

Thank you, Alexey. It couldn’t make it but I’m migrating to a new disk of 14TB instead of 1 TB. I will consider it later when I feel confident adding new space.