No-IP changing IP address?

woke up today to find out my no-IP had changed my actual IP… so Node out of line for around 8 hours… Any ideas/suggestions?

To Fix.-
Powersell stop-Service storagenode

Go into File - “%ProgramFiles%\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml”

Change actual IP in line 17 -
the public address of the node, useful for nodes behind NAT
contact.external-address: 85..****.:28967
(You will need Nodepad ++)

Powersell Restart-Service storagenode

What do you mean?
No-ip is a Dynamic DNS service used to change the DNS registration when your actual public IP changes.

If no-ip service changes the IP linked to your no-ip DNS, it is probably because your actual public IP changed.
If not, could you explain a little bit more your problem?
Could you give us more details about your no-ip setup?

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: I can no longer launch it even though it has functioned correctly

If your using a ddns service you can’t use the IP that defeats the entire purpose. You have to use the ddns address that you signed up for.

3 Likes

As others have mentioned, you have to use the domain name that points to your public IP to take advantage of the DDNS service that No-IP offers.

So instead of using this: contact.external-address: 85.**.****.** :28967

You use something like this: contact.external-address: my.domain.ddns:28967

If you don’t use the domain name, you will run into the same problem when your public IP changes again in the future.

2 Likes

Why are you doing that? You should not have an IP address in your config unless you have a static IP. , you should have a domain name there.

1 Like

does this noip services affecting your network performance, or not?
will you get same amount of data like with static IP?
cheers

Jammerdan gave an answer to this question in this thread.

1 Like

I used the IP showed by no-ip (just hoovering on the icon), which I though it was the static IP address provided by no-IP…

Was I being silly? Do I need to set up the config.yam file with the DNS?

Thanks community, great support here.

Would you be able to show me where to get the right info. to achieve this?

Thanks community, great support here.

Yes. It is as simple as that.

The No-IP does not provide the static IP address, their service providing DDNS hostname.
The IP address is provided by your ISP, only VPN services can change that (or use a different ISP :slight_smile:)
Then you will configure the updater for that DDNS hostname (either on your router, or with their DUC application) to update this DDNS hostname, when your public IP got changed.

So, you should configure your node to use this DDNS hostname as your external address. Do not forget to add a port to the name via colon, i.e.:

• -e ADDRESS=my.ddns.name:28967 for the docker
  • or contact.external-address: my.ddns.name:28967 in the "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml" file for the Windows GUI
1 Like

Clear as water… I feel a bit silly… :slight_smile: Thanks!

1 Like

Just replyint to myself the right solution to my problem… well, it wasn´t a problem at all, it was just me being silly…

So, you should configure your node to use this DDNS hostname as your external address. Do not forget to add a port to the name via colon, i.e.:

• -e ADDRESS=my.ddns.name:28967 for the docker
  • or contact.external-address: my.ddns.name:28967 in the "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml" file for the Windows GUI

Question related to this: Can I chance the address in my docker compose file without needing to rebuild keys, etc?

Change the ddns name? Yes, the key is not related to the address/IP

1 Like

You then need to re-run your node,

docker-compose up -d

To resolve the issue of your Node being out of line due to a changed IP, stop the storagenode service, edit the actual IP in the config.yaml file, and then restart the storagenode service.

Or register a DDNS hostname to do not do so every time when your ISP is changed your public IP.
The preferred way is to configure your router to update this DDNS hostname (usually in the DDNS section), and use the DDNS hostname instead of your dynamic public IP in the node’s configuration.