Node created using PIA (VPN) appears OFFLINE

the configuration line is in the config.yaml file in your storagenode folder

you open config.yaml and change the 28967 to 52780

like alexy describedā€¦

mine looks like this
# public address to listen on
server.address: :28967

yours need to be the port number you use.

1 Like

As I thought, you didnā€™t save the configuration with a new port. I think the external address have not changed too.
Please, save changes in the Notepad++ and restart the storagenode

1 Like
  1. I executed what you indicated and the following appears on the screen:

2)I just checked the nodeā€™s dashboard and it just appears ONLINE.

4 Likes

congrats ā€¦
you can check the logs to see what itā€™s doing, tho initially it will be slow, but you will get info on stuff like uploaded pieces and if they are successful or notā€¦

but if it says online, then itā€™s usually fineā€¦ but personally i always try to check the logs just for peace of mindā€¦ storagenodes do die for various reasons, but if it says online itā€™s most likely fine.

1 Like

Many thanks to:

• SGC
  • Alexey
  • baker
  • Vadim
  • jeremyfritzen
    For helping me solve this problem. You guys are the best.
4 Likes

i canā€™t really take credit for being much help here ā€¦ :smiley:

I have an additional question.
I have noticed that the upload and download speeds have decreased by almost 40% from the 100Mbps FTTH plan that I have contracted with my ISP.

Is there a way to decrease that reduction?

the data runs through the vpn, so that might have some bandwidth limitationā€¦
my storagenode isnā€™t going past 40mbit atm eitherā€¦ so if you are looking at the storagenode speeds, itā€™s most likely just because of thatā€¦

however if you run a bandwidth test through the vpn, on a bandwidth test siteā€¦ like ookla speed test
then you can see if the vpn is a limitationā€¦ but stuff like that may change from day to day, hour to hour and week to weekā€¦ so donā€™t expect to answer that straight away.

That reduction is due to the overhead of the VPN. I think there is an option called split tunneling that will give you the option to only send the storagenode application through the VPN connection. But I have never done it so you will have to look into it. Make sure you make note of all of your current settings that are currently working before you try changing anything in the PIA settings. This should make it so all other traffic bypasses the VPN (if this is what you want).

1 Like

Congrats!

Do not hesitate to select the ā€œSolutionā€ in order to help other SNO who would the same issue!
Thanks

I have an additional query.
To monitor my node from anywhere I am using https://uptimerobot.com/
I already filled uptimerobot with the parameters of my node.
However, I donā€™t know how this program works.
Uptimerobot tells me if my node works?

If you are using Uptime Robot mobile app (available on the Play Store at least) will check every X minutes that your need is still up (actually it will ping your server at the port your defines).
If itā€™s not, you will receive a notification (depending on how you configured it: by mail or on directly on your phone if you installed the Uptime Robot mobile app)