Node disqualified...WHY?

I think i have configured correctly my wallet in Binance:

Wallet Address

0x79a876689c44edac8efac71d762ba56241fe811d

I tried ZkSync few months ago and I got totally disappointed of it. I wrote somewhere in this forum about it. And I returned my normal Binance wallet address as before.

Currently I have only 2 nodes.
1 Windows about 2TB, which earns me about 5$ per month, at least in the past 1 2 months. I am not giving June as an example, because it was a bad month for that node. hdd issues + storms, which caused a power outage and the disqualification on one of the satelites.
The 2nd node is a Linux VM on which I am running docker. I had 3 nodes in tha past on that VM with docker. But as I already explained, that multi node is no longer a good choice, I left only 1 node on that VM which currently is with 550GB capacity. I had plans to extend it by using additional hdds as it got about 350GB FULL. However,something happened in the past few weeks and I noticed 140GB trash. So I am now very far from getting it full of data, so I will postpone the addition of disks

Sorry but I don’t see how you can make a profit with new HW.
Please tells us.
Make a basic calculation here, prices of new hdds + other new HW + electricity … honestly I don’t see how you can be profitable, at least in 10 years time :slight_smile:

I am talking here if you work only on the STorJ network.

I bought 2 new HDD’s with income from Storj alone. You need to think a bit more long term, but it is profitable long term. I make about $70 a month now, which is enough to buy new HDD space before it fills up. But it’s still not a get rich quick scheme. It takes time to get to that point.

1 Like

OK but have you put the cost of the whole machine in the calculation and the electricity? And how many TB do you have so that you earn 70$ per month and how long did it take you to reach 70$ per month? I think that if I “mine” for 10 years or more I would get a small profit, but I gues that is without anything braking. I you have to replace a motherboard or a CPU or 1 2 hdds … I don’t see how you can make a profit. One 2TB hdd costs about 60$ at the moment. If you have a 10TB node, that are 5 disks, so 300$. If you indeed earn 70$ per month … that is great, but following my experience … I get 5$ per month … even if I get 10$ per month you see that I will payout those 300$ after more than 30 months. Thats almost 3 years. And here I have calculated only the disks. If you put the cost of the other HW parts and the electricity and time the node needs to build up data … I don’t know. Please show us your scheme … so more people can have profit

No, because I already had that and it was already online 24/7. I did measure how much more power it uses with Storj running vs off, which is about 5W if you want to be pedantic about it. Costs are negligible aside from the HDD buys I did.

About 18.5TB used, 7.5TB more available. I’ve been there since the start of the V3 network. I believe the last full network wipe was before the beta in sept or oct 2019. Not entirely sure.

And that’s entirely the point. And it’s why Storj Labs says to use what you have. This goes doubly for the systems themselves. I think you can buy HDD’s to expand, in my experience it’s profitable and in your conservative calculation it still is. HDD’s easily last 5 years and often much more, so a break even after 3 years means it’s profitable. More realistically you will almost certaintly break even in much less than 2 years though.

I’ve posted it plenty of times all over this forum and I’m not alone. It just requires patience and keeping things up and running stably.

1 Like

There’s been a few posts here:

And, you can also use the community calculator created by @BrightSilence to predict:

StorJ is by no means a get rich quick scheme, if you are able to take advantage of existing hardware and low power solutions it can be a little extra pocket change.

2 Likes
  1. Buy new hardware (let’s say you spent 250€ on a 14TB HDD
  2. keep your node running till the paid out amount surpasses 250€ (maybe deduct some electricity costs)

Just add that to the equation, let’s say you spend 200€ on other hardware - then you just have to wait for another 200€ of income (maybe deduct some electricity costs)

If my best node keeps up its current pace, it will pay about 5000 USD in 10 years - pretty damn ok for my investment of 220€ HDD + 10€ CPU if you ask me.

Here you are not entirely precise. You are using mainly old HW. And you say that your PC is always on. That is not what I ment. I was saying that it will not be profitalbe if you use entirely new HW, new motherboard, new cpu, case, coolers, hdds and etc. So please mark that. In your calculation you don’t put the price of HW and no price for electricity if that pc has to run only for StorJ. If you take all that into account you can not be profitable, not even in 10 years. You are saying that you are with StorJ from long ago and you still have a lot of space for data … again my point. You can not fill in 17TB for years. Not to mention getting money from them.

17,5TB is raughly equal to 9 x 2 TB disks which is about 450$ and raughly you should invest 300 400$ or more for the other HW. So you are talking of about 1000$ worth of NEW HW. And I don’t think 9 hdds consume only 5W of power. If these are the small 2,5" ones, that’s 0,5/1A x 5V which equals to about 3W per disk. So for 9 disks this should consume at least 27W. How did you measure that your storage increased the consumption of the whole box with only 5W? 5W for 9 disks sounds very low for me. Can you please show here the payout from your last month? I just can’t believe you get 70$ every month for 10TB of data used on the StorJ network. The max I got for my 2TB was almost 5.5$. If I imagine that I have 10 instead ot 2TB, that makes 5.5 x 5 , so about 27$ per month. For me 70 looks imposible.

Will you disks lat 10 years? I doubt it.
5000S is pretty good indeed.
How much did you earn in the first 2 years? And how much did you earn on your last month?

That is exactly what I ment.
A solution to utilize old HW that you have around.

We will see :wink:

That specific node earned around 420 USD so far (started it in late December 2019) and the last month (06-2021) was worth 39 USD. The node currently uses 8.8TB of space.

WOW
nice
for 18 month you got 8.8TB
strange why I for more than 10months have only 2TB
maybe something is not OK in my setup? Can you advise me what to check?

Storj needs basically no resources. Many SNOs run on just a Raspberry Pi. Use the right hardware for the right purpose and it can still be profitable. It really depends on the setup. A Raspberry Pi 4 is cheap and uses 10-15W under load. Probably less when just running Storj. And HDD uses about 10-20W under light load.

So no… you should absolutely not waste that much money.

I never said how many HDD’s I used. I actually use 15 HDD’s and 2 SSD’s in my setup. My nodes are spread out over 3 different devices which all serve purposes other than Storj and I just use the spare space. I was using this amount of disks before I even started using Storj, I have just swapped some out for bigger ones to accommodate more storage usage. The 5W difference is the difference in total power draw between my nodes running or not running. All of the hardware would be up and running anyway. But since I’m running on a (relatively) low power NAS hardware the total power draw isn’t that much either.

Smart plug with power meter built in.

That’s your problem dude… I really don’t care if you believe me or not. I don’t feel it necessary to provide evidence. You can either learn from people who have been around a long time and have gathered a lot of experience or distrust them.
You were already linked to the earnings estimator I’ve created based on my own nodes performance and community feedback. That estimator is widely used and confirmed by the community to be fairly accurate. Nobody is trying to fool anyone here. But if you can’t bring up the respect to assume I’m not lying, while I’m putting effort in helping to inform people on the forum based on my experience, I’m kind of done.

Most of mine do actually. I still have 14 year old HDD’s in use even. These days HDD’s actually last for a damn long time. 90+% last more than 5 years (based on backblaze stats), more than half last more than 10 (based on less reliable personal experience with running 10+ HDDs for over 2 decades).

Instead of asking individuals, you’d be much better off just looking at the earnings estimator. Long time SNOs had early months with heavy testing while there were few nodes on the network and surge payouts in effect. I’ve had 1 months in which I made $350 while storing only 4.5TB. This isn’t useful information for you as it won’t happen again anyway. The earnings estimator shows you what you can expect based on recent network behavior instead of anecdotal user reports.

I honestly didn’t update the earnings estimator based on this report, but would you look at this…
That’s just uncanny…
Yes, I would expect that your node would have more data after 10 months. Keep in mind though that multiple nodes on the same IP share ingress. So if you had 2 nodes, 2TB per node isn’t far off.

Edit: Also the estimator does assume your nodes are always online and respond fast enough to have high success rates for transfers. (around 99%) This means using local storage only and having good worldwide latency (latency to Storj customers to be precise).

1 Like

Holy sh*t, that is scary indeed :smiley:

1 Like

Ingress is not linear and as @BrightSilence already pointed out, the early adopters got a lot more of test data.

If your node dashboard says online and the audit/online scores are good, then your node is most likely in perfect condition.

The thing you need most for this project -even more than HDD space- is a lot of patience.

1 Like

OK
lets see :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I only have 2 nodes as I already described. 1 x 3.5TB that is around 2TB full and 1 x 550GB that is around 200GB FULL. that’s it. The big one is more than 10 months old, the smaller one is about 6 months old.

What is the speed of your internet?

50mbps
is that of a such a big difference?

Of course it makes a difference, The faster the internet not so much but the slower the internet yes it makes world of difference. If your on cable/DSL uploading will slow down your download speeds.
This means you will loose more races overall =less data = less profitable

Because your using this internet at the same time right? What is your upload speed?

1 Like