Cost of running nodes?

So after looking on pictures from node operators I’m wondering how much it costs to operate them. I know mine as I run multiple of them around Europe. All of these cover their expenses but recently I started setting up systems purposefully for Storj.
Here are my numbers:

Slovakia: HP DL 380 G8 Approx 30€month
Cz home: Dell R210 Approx 6 5€month

DC CZ there are 2 nodes on Dell R210 29€ month

Other 5 VM’s located in Germany France and Britain cost around 17€ month

Let me know what setup you have and the approximate costs

Please do note that the DC and home nodes run different services and would be online non the less the VM’s on the other hand are purely for Storj

I’m using a RPi 4 4GB with 3 2.5in drives connected to the Quad SATA hat kit. I estimate the drives take about 4 Watts a piece and the Pi takes another 5ish Watts. My current electric rate after taxes and fees is just under $0.13/kWh.

Predicted power draw:

3 drives @ 4 Watts
1 Pi 4   @ 5 Watts
---------------------
5W + 3*4W
---------------------
17 Watts/system

Predicted Energy Usage:

17W * 24hr = 408Wh = 0.408 kWh/day
31 days/month * 0.408 kWh/day = 12.648 kWh/month

Predicted Electricity Costs:

Daily Cost: 0.408 kWh * $0.13/kWh = $0.05304
Monthly Cost: 12.648 kWh * $0.13/kWh = $1.64424

I actually expect my power consumption to be even lower based on manufacturer data that indicates the drives use about 2W for ‘normal’ usage, the question is whether or not StorJ usage is ‘normal’ by their standards. If this holds, the total power consumption would drop to something around 10-11W for a monthly cost of $0.97-1.06.

For my current StorJ setup, I am running 2x 2TB Seagate 2.5in drives and 1x 5TB Seagate 2.5in (15mm height) drive. The documentation for the enclosure makes it sound like the taller drives don’t fit, but with the way it is shaped you can actually fit 1 in on one side. For the most efficient usage of the internal capacity, you technically should be able to fit 2x 5TB drives and 1x 2TB if you leave one SATA header unpopulated.

Currently, my KillAWatt meter is connected to multiple devices (router, modem, a separate 5x 3.5 bay NAS, an external, some lights, etc. along with the Pi) and is reporting <85 Watts for everything.

3 Likes

Yep, this for me too.

I actually measured the difference with Storj running or not. It was about 5W in my setup. So that’s all of my costs to run it.

4 Likes

running hardware dedicated only for storj isn’t easy…

mainly because you run into the issue of disk capacity… if you use a 6tb hdd it will take a year to fill… so the ROI really starts when you are a year in, if you have a smooth ride.

with a 12TB it might at what we have been seeing for the last long while… would then take 2 years to fill… so really thats the main issue.

also that the internet, and the hardware prices, the monitoring and troubleshooting when stuff goes wrong.

but if you can keep the nodes alive, and don’t waste to much hardware or time in running storj, then it can be profitable… but i think the main key to profit from storj is to use systems that have primary purposes, and then run storj as a secondary bonus.

since it doesn’t really take a ton of resources.

if we do that math on this example
DC CZ there are 2 nodes on Dell R210 29€ month and imagining 12tb hdd for each

so a max monthly earnings of 24x3$ lets just underestimate.
so 72$ after 2 years of operation… which which the 1st year they will be operating at a loss.
and tho i’m sure they could perform okay during the first year, i doubt it … so underestimating… by calling it … well it will be lucky to cover 2 months operational costs… so ill just call it zero.

so first year 0 profit and expenses is like 600-720€
then 2nd year they will start to cover their operational costs.
as it being about half the max earnings…and at end of year should earn 72$.
so thats an avg of like 20$ each month, so for the full 2nd year would be 12x20 so
240$…

so two years in and capacity just filled and we are still 400€ in the red.
so unless we add more capacity the 3rd year will pass and we will still be in the red…
but not by much… the only way to offset that would be to store past 12TB for each node.

if we calculate both options… 12tb pr node max and going to 18tb on year 3
that would put us starting out at the max which is 72$ pr month and so lets call that 40$ profits pr month, so a yearly profit of 480$ and having paid 240$ last year of the 600€
which basically equals out with the costs of year one… so during year end of year 3 i would expect a setup such as that to make profits…

for the dual 18 / infinite capacity… so adding 2x6TB for both nodes x 3$ pr TB making it
36$ extra earnings pr month,

and using 50% of end of year earnings as the avg, again assuming a linear progression of ingress.

ergo 18$ avg earned extra pr month over the year. so 210$ or whatever

so that would basically be the earnings after 3 years of operation… a couple of hundred $

15$ overhead pr node is a killer for your ROI

sorry if this is kinda bleak, but just trying to work with semi realistic numbers.
the earnings have also been under estimated, so might be a lot better…
but this i would say one has a pretty good chance of earning.
even with that much overhead.

You can think of it differently. Everyone needs to have backups of their own data. So if you spin up a node, it might take 1 year to fill 6TB but until then you can use that space as a backup for your own data, possibly saving yourself money for a backup you’d put on some paid service (however, never only have one backup and never only have all backups in one location).
That way the initial costs and monthly electricity are covered easily if you buy a Raspberry Pi and start with some old 2-4 TB HDD you have lying around.

3 Likes

Right and after initial startup you can use your Storj to pay for really affordable and reliable backup on Storj DCS. That’s your offsite backup covered too. :wink:

6 Likes

This is my intention, use my excess storage to cover the cost to backup my key network setup docs (when ever I finish setting up…). Actual doc files shouldn’t be large at all, so I may even add in some photos for good measure.

2 Likes

For docs only I’m sure the free 150GB will do you just fine. No time like the present to start with the backups! I already have more than that backed up. But then I had already bought some credit before the free tier existed anyway.

2 Likes

It is difficult but I estimate my cost at €1 per TBm including power for peripherals and price of second hand hardware. This does not include the monthly price of internet which I would have had anyways.

5W power per 4TB disk → €0.25 per TBm
€60 per 4TB disk price spread over 5 years → €0.25 per TBm

3 Likes

My cost is high. As I have 6 Pcs - it is about 500-600W all together With UPS loses
300/300 mbit ethernet +100/100 connection + several static IPs
All together is about 100$ a month and it is profitable

2 Likes

I have been lurking here around and at first I ran a node on RP4 and a 4TB 2,5drive. Yesterday I migrated to my Synology which is on 24/7 anyways. Migrating went flawless. It took many hours to copy the stored data 400GB. After that I ran the docker command to start the node and it went online immediately. Don’t care about the payment. I like the concept. My node use around 20-25Watts of power.

5 Likes