Node disqualified...WHY?

No, it did not die.
The hdd started having a lot of bad sectors. I managed to copy most of the data on few other hdds. And i had another 2TB hdd that I used to replace the one that started having bad sectors. I did that. But unfortunately, while I was copying back the data, this storm unleashed(I was copying over 12 hours, it is more than 2TB of data) and my electricity got cut off. It was in the evening. So I went to sleep. And when I woke up I was already disqualified, because at some point during the night the power was restored. The node booted up and Storj service started, but because I did not manage to copy all the data I started receiving the bad audits. And in a couple of hours I got disqualified. I am very dissapointed, because I did not have any chance to do anything. But for the future issues I will definetly unplug the LAN before I am 100% sure that everything is working properly.

Oof, that really sucks. I’m sorry you had to deal with all that. I hope you and your family are all fine.
As for the node, disqualification is unfortunately permanent. The reason for this is that the satellite can’t know whether your node is being recovered and in most cases it can be sure it’s dealing with a node that is losing data. If they don’t take action fast in those scenarios, they risk losing customer data. A lot of safeguards have already been put in place, the node for example now tests whether the data location is available and the data is actually owner by the identity being used. Your scenario where this validation file exists, but other files don’t is very rare. You can contact support at support.storj.io (submit a request link at the top right), but you shouldn’t expect them to be able to recover your node. That doesn’t mean you can’t get back in though, it only means you will have to start over with a new identity.

The problem is that this clause waives liability for the customer or the company, not for the node operator. This only addresses the relationship between Storj Labs and their customers. I’m not a lawyer, but I don’t think it applies here unfortunately. For node operators, the following terms and conditions apply. And predictably Storj Labs covers their own liability, but not the node operators.

• 13.2. LIMITATION OF LIABILITY . COMPANY SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY INCIDENTAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE, SPECIAL, INDIRECT, OR EXEMPLARY DAMAGES (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION LOST PROFITS, REVENUE, DATA, OR DATA USE, OR DAMAGE TO BUSINESS) HOWEVER CAUSED, WHETHER BY BREACH OF WARRANTY, BREACH OF CONTRACT, IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE) OR ANY OTHER LEGAL OR EQUITABLE CAUSE OF ACTION EVEN PREVIOUSLY ADVISED OF SUCH DAMAGES IN ADVANCE OR IF SUCH DAMAGES WERE FORESEEABLE, AND IN NO EVENT WILL COMPANY’S TOTAL AGGREGATE LIABILITY ARISING FROM OR RELATING TO THIS AGREEMENT EXCEED US $25.

Node Operator Terms & Conditions

2 Likes

I don’t mind that. I just want a chance to recover.

Just start a fresh node with a fresh identity and your new disk.
You aren’t banned just your bad node is dq

2 Likes

hahahahah
you made me laugh
are you seriously advising me that? wasting an year?
have you ever read any of the StorJ documentation? At least this one for example:

1 Like

I can assure you that @andrew2.hart is well aware of that and what it would mean to start over. However as previously mentioned, you don’t really have a choice as disqualification is permanent for a node. I know it sucks, but nothing to do about it at this point.

Well my node is disqualified from only 1 satelite, so I will resume. What else can I do? Otherwise if I have to start from scratch … building up data … rediculous It took me an year for about 2TB data. I don’t know how you guys handle it, you probably have tens of TB data. I can’t imagine starting from scratch if I have a 10TB node … I would totally sell everything or find something else to do with the HW. Such mining doesn’t give any profit anyway, so … I am using garbage HW. Old disks(year 2007; 2008), disks with bad sectors and similar for the other needed HW. This is not like VGA mining, where you get profit at least 20 30$ per month. At least that is what i get with mine 1060 6gb card, which I bought 2 years ago 2nd hand for less than 100$. I think it is stupid to buy new expenssive HW to earn StorJ tokens. You could just buy the token for the same amount of money on any trade platform and avoid this headaches. :slight_smile:
I just want use the HW that I already have to the limit and after that throw it away. :slight_smile: so good luck :slight_smile:

The held amount is not as important as you would think. It is the loss of long term income that hurts.
I recommend you start another node anyway and keep your part disqualified node going too if you can. Somehow I have missed that part dq, sorry.
Now, if you only want one node per disk, as you should, you could delete the satellites that you don’t want on the new node. (But I wouldnt, the ingress can be sent to the new node by putting the space down below what you already have on the old one and then exit the old one when you are ready)

I am doing just that.
Iwas planning to use docker and make several nodes on one single PC. I had 1 node running on the Windows PC and 3 running on a Linux VM via docker on the same Windows PC. However, few months ago, StorJ decided to change the rules of the game. And running multiple nodes now is useless. My 3 extra nodes were 1 TB each. It would take me years to receive any real money from every single disk/node. This configuration is now pointless. The only real way to make any money is to have your node as big as possible. If any of the disks on the node start to break, you can try like me to recover as much of the data as possible and move to other disks. Or if you can’t recover, then like you say you have to start from scratch. StorJ is now very popular. And it doesn’t need people like me, that helped it gain popularity. And by changing the rules it slightly pushes us aside and the final goal is to get rid of us. They will probably think of something else like … minimum payout 100$ and that way only the big players will remain

The IP filter was here for a long time - two years ago: IP Filtering Keeps Data Distributed

1 Like

6 posts were split to a new topic: Payout distributed but not received

That is just fine as long as you got rid of the problem that caused the DQ in the first place.

I totally understand you, but I personally would rather start over from scrath instead of being DQed on a satellite.

Hundreds actually :sunglasses:

Yes, even Storjlabs themselves tell you that. However there are lots of SNOs here that actually did buy new hardware and still made a profit.

1 Like

I think i have configured correctly my wallet in Binance:

Wallet Address

0x79a876689c44edac8efac71d762ba56241fe811d

I tried ZkSync few months ago and I got totally disappointed of it. I wrote somewhere in this forum about it. And I returned my normal Binance wallet address as before.

Currently I have only 2 nodes.
1 Windows about 2TB, which earns me about 5$ per month, at least in the past 1 2 months. I am not giving June as an example, because it was a bad month for that node. hdd issues + storms, which caused a power outage and the disqualification on one of the satelites.
The 2nd node is a Linux VM on which I am running docker. I had 3 nodes in tha past on that VM with docker. But as I already explained, that multi node is no longer a good choice, I left only 1 node on that VM which currently is with 550GB capacity. I had plans to extend it by using additional hdds as it got about 350GB FULL. However,something happened in the past few weeks and I noticed 140GB trash. So I am now very far from getting it full of data, so I will postpone the addition of disks

Sorry but I don’t see how you can make a profit with new HW.
Please tells us.
Make a basic calculation here, prices of new hdds + other new HW + electricity … honestly I don’t see how you can be profitable, at least in 10 years time :slight_smile:

I am talking here if you work only on the STorJ network.

I bought 2 new HDD’s with income from Storj alone. You need to think a bit more long term, but it is profitable long term. I make about $70 a month now, which is enough to buy new HDD space before it fills up. But it’s still not a get rich quick scheme. It takes time to get to that point.

1 Like

OK but have you put the cost of the whole machine in the calculation and the electricity? And how many TB do you have so that you earn 70$ per month and how long did it take you to reach 70$ per month? I think that if I “mine” for 10 years or more I would get a small profit, but I gues that is without anything braking. I you have to replace a motherboard or a CPU or 1 2 hdds … I don’t see how you can make a profit. One 2TB hdd costs about 60$ at the moment. If you have a 10TB node, that are 5 disks, so 300$. If you indeed earn 70$ per month … that is great, but following my experience … I get 5$ per month … even if I get 10$ per month you see that I will payout those 300$ after more than 30 months. Thats almost 3 years. And here I have calculated only the disks. If you put the cost of the other HW parts and the electricity and time the node needs to build up data … I don’t know. Please show us your scheme … so more people can have profit

No, because I already had that and it was already online 24/7. I did measure how much more power it uses with Storj running vs off, which is about 5W if you want to be pedantic about it. Costs are negligible aside from the HDD buys I did.

About 18.5TB used, 7.5TB more available. I’ve been there since the start of the V3 network. I believe the last full network wipe was before the beta in sept or oct 2019. Not entirely sure.

And that’s entirely the point. And it’s why Storj Labs says to use what you have. This goes doubly for the systems themselves. I think you can buy HDD’s to expand, in my experience it’s profitable and in your conservative calculation it still is. HDD’s easily last 5 years and often much more, so a break even after 3 years means it’s profitable. More realistically you will almost certaintly break even in much less than 2 years though.

I’ve posted it plenty of times all over this forum and I’m not alone. It just requires patience and keeping things up and running stably.

1 Like

There’s been a few posts here:

And, you can also use the community calculator created by @BrightSilence to predict:

StorJ is by no means a get rich quick scheme, if you are able to take advantage of existing hardware and low power solutions it can be a little extra pocket change.

2 Likes
  1. Buy new hardware (let’s say you spent 250€ on a 14TB HDD
  2. keep your node running till the paid out amount surpasses 250€ (maybe deduct some electricity costs)

Just add that to the equation, let’s say you spend 200€ on other hardware - then you just have to wait for another 200€ of income (maybe deduct some electricity costs)

If my best node keeps up its current pace, it will pay about 5000 USD in 10 years - pretty damn ok for my investment of 220€ HDD + 10€ CPU if you ask me.

Here you are not entirely precise. You are using mainly old HW. And you say that your PC is always on. That is not what I ment. I was saying that it will not be profitalbe if you use entirely new HW, new motherboard, new cpu, case, coolers, hdds and etc. So please mark that. In your calculation you don’t put the price of HW and no price for electricity if that pc has to run only for StorJ. If you take all that into account you can not be profitable, not even in 10 years. You are saying that you are with StorJ from long ago and you still have a lot of space for data … again my point. You can not fill in 17TB for years. Not to mention getting money from them.

17,5TB is raughly equal to 9 x 2 TB disks which is about 450$ and raughly you should invest 300 400$ or more for the other HW. So you are talking of about 1000$ worth of NEW HW. And I don’t think 9 hdds consume only 5W of power. If these are the small 2,5" ones, that’s 0,5/1A x 5V which equals to about 3W per disk. So for 9 disks this should consume at least 27W. How did you measure that your storage increased the consumption of the whole box with only 5W? 5W for 9 disks sounds very low for me. Can you please show here the payout from your last month? I just can’t believe you get 70$ every month for 10TB of data used on the StorJ network. The max I got for my 2TB was almost 5.5$. If I imagine that I have 10 instead ot 2TB, that makes 5.5 x 5 , so about 27$ per month. For me 70 looks imposible.