Node disqualified...WHY?

Will you disks lat 10 years? I doubt it.
5000S is pretty good indeed.
How much did you earn in the first 2 years? And how much did you earn on your last month?

That is exactly what I ment.
A solution to utilize old HW that you have around.

We will see :wink:

That specific node earned around 420 USD so far (started it in late December 2019) and the last month (06-2021) was worth 39 USD. The node currently uses 8.8TB of space.

WOW
nice
for 18 month you got 8.8TB
strange why I for more than 10months have only 2TB
maybe something is not OK in my setup? Can you advise me what to check?

Storj needs basically no resources. Many SNOs run on just a Raspberry Pi. Use the right hardware for the right purpose and it can still be profitable. It really depends on the setup. A Raspberry Pi 4 is cheap and uses 10-15W under load. Probably less when just running Storj. And HDD uses about 10-20W under light load.

So no… you should absolutely not waste that much money.

I never said how many HDD’s I used. I actually use 15 HDD’s and 2 SSD’s in my setup. My nodes are spread out over 3 different devices which all serve purposes other than Storj and I just use the spare space. I was using this amount of disks before I even started using Storj, I have just swapped some out for bigger ones to accommodate more storage usage. The 5W difference is the difference in total power draw between my nodes running or not running. All of the hardware would be up and running anyway. But since I’m running on a (relatively) low power NAS hardware the total power draw isn’t that much either.

Smart plug with power meter built in.

That’s your problem dude… I really don’t care if you believe me or not. I don’t feel it necessary to provide evidence. You can either learn from people who have been around a long time and have gathered a lot of experience or distrust them.
You were already linked to the earnings estimator I’ve created based on my own nodes performance and community feedback. That estimator is widely used and confirmed by the community to be fairly accurate. Nobody is trying to fool anyone here. But if you can’t bring up the respect to assume I’m not lying, while I’m putting effort in helping to inform people on the forum based on my experience, I’m kind of done.

Most of mine do actually. I still have 14 year old HDD’s in use even. These days HDD’s actually last for a damn long time. 90+% last more than 5 years (based on backblaze stats), more than half last more than 10 (based on less reliable personal experience with running 10+ HDDs for over 2 decades).

Instead of asking individuals, you’d be much better off just looking at the earnings estimator. Long time SNOs had early months with heavy testing while there were few nodes on the network and surge payouts in effect. I’ve had 1 months in which I made $350 while storing only 4.5TB. This isn’t useful information for you as it won’t happen again anyway. The earnings estimator shows you what you can expect based on recent network behavior instead of anecdotal user reports.

I honestly didn’t update the earnings estimator based on this report, but would you look at this…
That’s just uncanny…
Yes, I would expect that your node would have more data after 10 months. Keep in mind though that multiple nodes on the same IP share ingress. So if you had 2 nodes, 2TB per node isn’t far off.

Edit: Also the estimator does assume your nodes are always online and respond fast enough to have high success rates for transfers. (around 99%) This means using local storage only and having good worldwide latency (latency to Storj customers to be precise).

1 Like

Holy sh*t, that is scary indeed :smiley:

1 Like

Ingress is not linear and as @BrightSilence already pointed out, the early adopters got a lot more of test data.

If your node dashboard says online and the audit/online scores are good, then your node is most likely in perfect condition.

The thing you need most for this project -even more than HDD space- is a lot of patience.

1 Like

OK
lets see :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I only have 2 nodes as I already described. 1 x 3.5TB that is around 2TB full and 1 x 550GB that is around 200GB FULL. that’s it. The big one is more than 10 months old, the smaller one is about 6 months old.

What is the speed of your internet?

50mbps
is that of a such a big difference?

Of course it makes a difference, The faster the internet not so much but the slower the internet yes it makes world of difference. If your on cable/DSL uploading will slow down your download speeds.
This means you will loose more races overall =less data = less profitable

Because your using this internet at the same time right? What is your upload speed?

1 Like

the speed from my provider is 1:1 download:upload
but i am not so sure about internation traffic
i will look for a tester and will see that is the real result
but 50mbps should be plenty

Is your internet Fiber? if not then its not 1:1 you can advertise intenret speeds to being 50/50 less your on fiber internet you wont see 1:1 speeds cause upload will always be using bandwidth from download speeds.

By todays standards 50mbps is pretty slow… I went from having 10gbps internet to 1gbps internet and I can tell you im feeling it, But I have seen 1 of my storagenodes hit 100mbps so we cant say 50mbps is plenty when it comes to data speeds.

1 Like

From my experience it does not matter that much.
My 50/10 node performs about as good as my 100/40 node

Of course the lousy 10mbit upload will become a bottleneck once there is more egress…

1 Like

In my experience 50mbit is usually enough to do ok, latency becomes more important which is often location dependent. Where are your nodes located (country only is fine)?

Might be useful to run this script to see how your nodes are doing on success rates!

That would show if there is an issue with “losing races”.

1 Like

I am in Bulgaria and the nodes are here as well. I think the latency is not bad but I will test once i get some time. Because we have another storm at the moment and my internet totally stopped. I hope they will fix it by tomorrow.

Here is the output of the script:

But as I mentioned I had few bad times. So maybe I should delete the .log file and restart the node and wait 2 3 days for some logs to build up and re-run it. What do you think?

These scores really don’t show any issues. So at least for the period that is covered in these logs, it’s looking fine.

I guess other things would be if you had significant down time in the past. Any down time of more than 4 hours would lead to data loss due to repair in addition to the missed ingress. The earnings estimator assumes perfect online time.

I had an internet outage since Thursday - 4 days. :slight_smile: