Node working for a few months but went offline two days ago

Hi, My Storj node has been working fine for a few months but has gone offline.

Running Windows 10
The dashboard shows it is running, uptime & usual stats. Service has started OK.

Checked the Certificate with (sls BEGIN …).count commands - returns 2 & 3 OK

Checked firewall forwarding at router & windows router are OK.

Can you help with working out what is preventing it from going online please? are there any logs? Apologies if this is a dumb question!!

Hi @tkctkc,
Please post the last 20-30 lines from the storagenode.log file. The most recent entries will show the ERROR or FATAL reason. By default the log location in Windows 10 is C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\storagenode.log

Hello @tkctkc ,
Welcome to the forum!

You can use this guide to check your logs: How do I check my logs? - Storj Docs

Please, check everything from this check list too:

The log file is huge!
last entries appear to be all the same:-

2021-07-29T08:14:38.378+0100 ERROR contact:service ping satellite failed {“Satellite ID”: “12EayRS2V1kEsWESU9QMRseFhdxYxKicsiFmxrsLZHeLUtdps3S”, “attempts”: 12, “error”: “ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1yCtTnnFkyPGHsiatS3NfmWZXDntBVFdUf7okB2p3xKy7Xxa6e) at address 81.158.200.90:28967: rpc: dial tcp 81.158.200.90:28967: i/o timeout”, “errorVerbose”: "ping satellite: failed to dial storage node (ID: 1yCtTnnFkyPGHsiatS3NfmWZXDntBVFdUf7okB2p3xKy7Xxa6e) at address 81.158.200.90:28967: rpc: dial tcp 81.158.200.90:28967: i/o timeout\n\tstorj.io/storj/storagenode/contact.

ok - configured the delay, going to check node shortly.

The delay will not solve the problem of external address being not reachable from outside, more like your public IP has changed.
The delay on service start can solve only the one problem - if the storagenode service is failed to start after reboot because system services are not up and running yet.

Please, compare specified public address in the contact.external-address: of the "C:\Program Files\Storj\Storage Node\config.yaml" with the IP there: Open Port Check Tool - Test Port Forwarding on Your Router
If it has changed - you need to update it in the config file and restart the storagenode service.
To update config file it’s better to use Notepad++ (the usual Notepad could broke the config), you should explicitly save changes, the Notepad++ will not offer to save them on close.
To restart storagenode service after the change you can use either Services applet or elevated PowerShell:

Restart-Service storagenode

If your public IP has changed, It’s better to configure the DDNS address instead: Port Forwarding - Node Operator
I would recommend to configure your router to update that DDNS address (the configuration for popular DDNS providers is usually placed into DDNS section on your router).

Public IP was the issue, I checked the correct port is being allowed in and forwarded to the node, all OK! But completely missed that the IP had changed, compared to config.yaml. It was totally different!

Traced it to a router automatic firmware update.

Time to setup DDNS.

Many Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like