Original Operator - 3 Years and I'm Done

you can use any crypto to make payment, you can use USDT as erc20
there is no fundamental need for the storj token, so holding it will only loose you value at the moment

Nice market prediction there. How long would that current “moment” be? 3 days? 3 years?

We are at 2.02€ right now, I will ping you back once the token has become more valuable.

I see. I wrongly guessed that you meant that there is no need to use crypto in storj case at all. My bad.
I actually can’t think of any reason why storj didnt use USDT in the first place. It looks more stable in terms of price fluctuation. But maybe I am missing something simple, yet decisive.
Maybe there was some other idea in mind? Like, in terms of controllable value gains, or something else?

Creating your own token = printing money.
Simplest reason of all :grin:

7 Likes

as kevink says, they can use the token for funding and now they can use it to manipulate the payouts

1 Like

I think it was created to collect money from investors to start the company. Initial Coin Offering (ICO) Definition

2 Likes

I understand your decision very much.
I’m in this project for over 4 years, 1st storj on eth chain: 1381 days ago, and before there were based on old chain (I don’t remember atm). Most of coins I had were gained from v2 version. Project was fun for me, so for v3 I invested in 2 nice 2TB drives, rockpro64 board and metal case for it and it sits in corner of my room. There is 4.8 + 1.4 used space on it, and it is slow decay, imho those nodes will never fill up.

Yesterday I sold most of my coins, changed them for ETH and probably will change it for real money. I was too lazy when there was over 3$/storj price, even so 2$ is nice. I think there is no better time.

But what about running nodes? Okay, getting payouts worth $ in crypto is okay if we can make profit from it later. Big problem here is that now when we get far less storj per month and price goes down, and it will for sure, makes it worthless in future.

Anyway I’m won’t shut my nodes down, few months ago I even never dreamed I can sell it for few hundred $.

Well, I guess then there is no meaning in it for us as operators, but as of Storj there is plenty. In light of this I think that we won’t see a switch to other tokens.

Not really. The STORJ Token has a fixed amount and all of the tokens have been already created.
Also even if they wouldn’t be already created, it is not for free to create additional tokens.

What kind of manipulation? They can’t manipulate the value of the token.

3 Likes

read on how they intend for the tokenomics to work

The initial creation of the token was like printing money. and now most of it is locked up by storj labs and released over time.

2 Likes

Saddened by some of the pure stupidity shown in this thread…
Yes @kevink is correct, this is a printer. The only path to fund development.
All coins can be manipulated, even the timing of a payout can be changed to favor the issuer, not saying it is, but its on the table.
Simply put, the only game here was to hoard coins early, then wait for the listing and exit. Which Ive done. My hardware purchase is now sold for exactly what I had invested (thanks inflated component market rn)
My coins are flipped a few times, and will continue to trade until BTC rolls over (soon)
The machine they were in was a 24/7 machine anyways, SSDs were chosen to reduce power usage and offer great speeds coupled with my fiber.
Others may still see a benefit from running nodes, but for me, I knew this was a good exit and I took it.

1 Like

Supply is controlled

Am I just an edge case here? I added the storj node onto my eth mining rig. So I just consider the storj portion as a bonus income stream.

7 Likes

Yes and no.
A lot of us have eyes in other places…bitcoin lightening mysterium hodl mining sia filecoin.
This is the only one I have kept on…so far

Since fiat was converted into storj by some estimated value, it was just a conversion.

Yes, to make trading not so much interesting and keep the value under control. Didn’t work so well though.

I’m sure aside from earning it as a token via trade. We should look aside on the technological stand point. I believe in the storage node and technology. It is matter of getting more users onto the platform to use their storage as a whole.

I wish people who believe in their technology. Will open source the connector to make the storage works better natively. This would greatly drive traffic to us SNO.

The million dollar question here is how tardigrade is able to drive more customers into using their storage. I just can’t wait if there are an easier way to connect into storage nodes and utilize those storage space. Indirectly it will bring more traffics to SNOs.

1 Like

So is printing fiat :rofl: depending on the inflation, the input (work, resources) might even be more expensive/worth more than the output :wink:
Same for storj. Only that the initial resources in fiat were significantly lower than the value of the storj coin.

The value of the coin now. It was converted for 0.5 USD per token according to Storj (STORJ) - All information about Storj ICO (Token Sale) - ICO Drops. For long time the token value was below that amount.

Anyway the goal of investors is to make profit. So value is good for them now.