Port forwarding

Hi, I am a beginner and I am trying to port forward my router but I am not able to do that and also tried ddns host but still, nothing is working out. I have few questions that if I have created ddns hostname so is it necessary to configure it with a router or downloading duc is enough for that and can I use my Vodafone USB dongle to connect to port 28965?

if you are sure you opened the port correctly, then it is possible that your isp doesn’t support opening that particular port…

using a dongle isn’t a great idea, generally if you can stay away from usb connections, then you should try that, also if your dongle has a bandwidth limit then you will most likely run into that in very short order…

if you will use a dongle it has to have unlimited bandwidth… like say if its a wifi dongle connecting to your local network… or other such network dongle…

most dongles that take a SIM card (mobile phone network) will have bandwidth limits.

you could try using another port in case it’s already used for some reason or blocked by the ISP
also keep in mind there are both tcp and udp ports… you want a TCP i believe

also keep in mind that your router will have an online ip, which is the one you will use in the docker run command or whatever you are using… or the ddns name which is essentially just a human readable ip that one can get… them port in your router needs to be opened towards a designated ip… which is your computer local network ip… which you can see in your network status.

tho also keep in mind that these ip’s can change… so it’s best to set them to a static ip instead of the usually dynamic / dhcp method

not sure i made this much simpler lol…
you can most likely find guides for your particular equipment on youtube and how to port forward… it shouldn’t be to difficult, but once in a while stuff like this can just be impossible for various reasons…

check and double check everything… go through all the ip’s … online router ip then local router ip then storagenode host local ip… then check if ports are open… check that the firewalls allow it… that you antivirus doesn’t have a firewall…

good luck

I have Vodafone postpaid and I have unlimited data on that with around 20-30 mbps data speed download as well as upload. So , if its possible to connect with dongle then may be no need of doing such hectic work of port forwarding as if I followed all the steps but still my router is not getting connected to port 28967 .

are you using windows or linux?

lets start with the basics… have you opened a port in storagenode host’s firewall?
you will need to do that, no matter which route you take… router or dongle.

Hello @cryptofreak,
Welcome to the forum!

The port forwarding on USB dongle will not work, you do not have a public IP if you didn’t pay for it specifically.
To solve this problem you have only three options:

1. Pay for public IP; some ISP can give you a public IP for free - just ask; I was not succeed with mobile ISP though, but maybe you can do it;
  2. Switch to ISP with the public IP;
  3. Use VPN services with port forwarding options such as portmap.io, ngrok, PIA, PureVPN, etc.
1 Like

I have windows os and yes I have opened port in host firewall using powershell as well as i tried manually and why i was talking about dongle because I stay in India and here I will have connectivity problems with wifi and electricity. So, I was thinking of mobile operators which can give 24/7 connectivity. But i really want to get in this. And without electricity wifi doesn’t work as well as isp also looses electrcity so no wifi but dongle connected to laptop will stay on atleast I for 3 hours till then electricity also comes.

on paper the dongle might look like a good idea, but i sort of doubt it will work well…
but ofc if you have a fairly fixed location and the signal is good then maybe…

like @Alexey says you will most likely need to route a port through on of those services mentioned.

The idea with USB dongle can work. However, I think you have a limit in your tariff plan. You should take in consideration, that all your shared space will be eventually used. To be used, it should be uploaded to your node.
As far as I know, the mobile operators charge for uploads and downloads. So your tariff plan could be likely exhausted in a very short time.
I can just share a traffic from my node:

It’s in 20 times more than my mobile tariff allows in month, and today only June 13.

You should probably read the fine print on that “unlimited”. I don’t believe any unlimited mobile plans still really exist. The best you get is unlimited without a speed guarantee and they drop your speed to basically “texting only” after you reach a certain amount. Look for things like a fair use policy as well.

This is what I did for port forwarding from my tp link router and I am using laptop. So, please let me know whether I am on correct path or not.

yeah that looks right… remember to set you laptop to static ip… because it might change… even if its usually kinda rare you get a new ip, especially if the machine is on constantly…
but it can happen with like router reboots and what not…

How is your Internet connected? Is it still Vodafone USB modem?
If so, the port forwarding more like will not work. You should receive a public IP first.
You can easily check that - open a status page of your router and take a look on WAN IP, then go to the https://www.yougetsignal.com/tools/open-ports/ and compare the IP with the WAN IP. If they doesn’t match - the port forwarding will not work.

where I have to do that in router settings or in network sharing center in those change adapter settings where we have to select wireless network connections?

in windows 10 you can search on ethernet or network
then its change adapter options
or
control panel > all control panel items > network connections

there you can access the settings on wifi and nic’s even vpn virtual adapters and such…

you rclick and select options and then internet protocol version 4
properties
there you set your ip to whatever the ip you selected was with a network mask of 255.255.255.0 usually might be called subnet mask… and in some rare cases it might be another subnet mask… but that one there sure work in 99.9% of cases on home networks.
the dns and gateway you can simply point at your router ip

No this is for wifi but in my place there are wifi and electricity issues so I want to give 24/7 network connection and that is possible only because of usb dongle with unlimited data. I want solution for that actually. If I am using NoIp will it work ?
and one more question if i am using NoIP so do we have to do port forwarding of router?

you already did port forwarding on your router… so long as you remember to use the right port then it will work no matter how you make it access that port…

noip is basically a dns service… domain name service DNS it translates an ip address into a name… so you will get a name and they will figure out what ip you are on… that directs packets towards you on the internet… then when they hit your firewall / router they will need to be allowed through to you local network.

No. It can help only with a dynamic but still public IP.

Yes, you must. The only exception is when you use a VPN services, you do not need to do port forwarding on your router, but you should do it on the VPN service instead. This is why said VPN service must have a port forwarding option too.
By the way, if you would use a portmap.io or ngrok, you do not need to have a noip either - they will give you a hostname.

so which one IPv4 or the gateway Ip which is used for router settings and port forwarding.

laptop IP for port forwarding, the gateway IP to configure your router via browser.
They both used but for different purposes - the laptop IP for addressing your laptop in your local network, the gateway IP for routing the traffic, which can’t be directly transferred between your PC and remain network.

so which ip I have to make static that shouldn’t be change?