Possible Scam - Storj Labs facebook account trying to make users click suspicious link

Looks liek official storj labs account is tookover and sending spam?

This isnt there official Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/storjproject correct one.

Is this an official page for Storj Labs:

They tagged me in a post and it stinks of a scam.

Definitely a scam. I guess people should be alert.

Thank you for posting this, we have sent a takedown request for this scammer page to Facebook. Remember, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is!

3 Likes

Yea… I was an idiot and clicked on the link. My wallet was just emptied :frowning:

How was your wallet emptied just from clicking on the link?

Doesn’t work that way.

… unless you followed the link to their fake MyEtherWallet and opened your walled :stuck_out_tongue:

You’d have to do a little more than just clicking a link. If you did, please create a new wallet and don’t use the old one for payouts anymore. Once your access is lost you can never secure the old wallet anymore. They can steal future income as well. So start using a new wallet right away.

In general, there is no need for anyone ever to know your private key. Do not enter your private key anywhere, no matter how trustworthy something may look.

Only enter your private key in your wallet software.

The way this scam works appears to be that the scammers target users who friended our real Storj Labs facebook page, and send them direct messages hoping that the user responds. They then also post an “announcement” on their fake Storj facebook page, claiming the user they just messaged won some free tokens. They put the victim’s avatar in that post. If you respond to their message, they will tell you that you will need to send them some ETH or BTC and supposedly will receive 3x the amount you sent back. Of course then they keep your tokens and don’t send anything back. We also reeceived a support ticket showing that the scammers try to entice you to enter your mnemonic phrase (your private keys) into a fake MEW page. This should be a big red flag! Never enter your private keys into any webpage you get linked to by unknown parties. Noone needs your private keys to send you tokens. If any user receives a facebook message like this from these scammers, please report the post as “Fraud or Scam” to facebook. Choose “Others” from the first list of reasons to report, because the Fraud and Scam reason is hidden under “others”. The more people report this, the more likely the scam page will be taken down faster. Thank you for your cooperation.

1 Like

Just got this…

1 Like
2 Likes

Please could anyone who receives a facebook message like this fromt these scammers report the post as “Fraud or Scam” to facebook. Choose “Others” from the first list of reasons to report, because the Fraud and Scam reason is hidden under “others”. The more people report this, the more likely the scam page will be taken down faster. Thank you for your cooperation.

Well the link asks for your private key or wem code or something. I put in my private key.

I feel like you are trolling right now if a site tells you, you can make 10,000 storj token which equals 1500 dollars USD, doesn’t it seem like its a scam to you?
If a site you click on a link and asks for your social security number would you not question if this is a legit or not?
If this really happened to you its very unfortunate, But you gotta remember theres scams all over the place and its not just with crypto its with everything.

1 Like

It happens. Cryptocurrencies are quite complicated to people not so familiar with them. These scams work because while most people don’t fall for it, there is always someone who’s not having the best day and isn’t paying enough attention.

I work in finance and I have literally had a colleague a few desks away from me who entered their credit card information into a scam site because they received an email to unblock their card. You’d think people in finance wouldn’t fall for this most basic scam, but apparently you would be wrong.

Anything that involves money in any way and either seems to good to be true or abnormally urgent should set of alarm bells.

1 Like

Please be sure to change your payout address right away in your node config file if you gave the scammers the private keys of your payout address. Otherwise they will likely also move any future STORJ payouts to their own address. Note that anyone who has access to your private keys has control over your wallet address.

2 Likes

As a rule of thumb I never click any links in emails. If I get an email from e.g. Amazon about my payment method not working, then I will go to their site manually and check there. I do not click the link in the email, even if the mail itself looks official.
Sometimes scammers even call me and ask for my vodafone password for a bonus they want to give me… I always tell them to get lost :smiley:
So many services got hacked over the last decade, your personal data is most likely publicly available on the dark net, so you have to be very careful.

And in crypto world I’m even more careful. Anyone asking for my password, passphrase etc will get nothing. And even if I’d “win” something, I’d create a new wallet just for this.

1 Like