Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

*Edit 2: Ended up replacing my router and 2x 16-port unmanaged switches with a UDM Pro and USW-24-Pro, and then added a patch panel for the distributed wiring around the house along with the network cables going to the hardware on the shelving unit. Did that a week or so ago. Then just today I took the 7 rpis and 5 ssds I had on the little monitor stands and put them into this GeekPi 12-layer cluster case to better organize all of those little guys.

Edit 1: Replaced pictures after putting the finishing touches on the shelving unit (including, inserting standoffs into the trays to hold the RPis and attached SSDs on their side, and moving the power strips to the sides of the shelfs) and new rig running Nodes 5 and 6.

Here’s a quick updated picture of everything set up in a new location.

Six nodes at the moment, running on the following setups:

• Node 1: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM), boot/root on a PNY 120GB SSD connected via USB3, Storj node on WD Elements 12TB HDD connected via USB3, with 10.8TB offered as available
  • Node 2: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM), boot/root on a PNY 120GB SSD connected via USB3, Storj node on WD Elements 12TB HDD connected via USB3 with 10.8TB offered as available
  • Node 3: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB RAM), Geekworm X835-C1 case (with X832 SATA adaptor and X735 power management hat), boot/root on a micro SD, Storj node on WD Red 4TB (CMR) HDD connected via USB3, with 0.5TB offered as available
  • Node 4: Raspberry Pi 4 (4GBRAM), boot/root on a PNY 120GB SSD connected via USB3, Storj node on G-Drive 1TB HDD connected via USB3 with 0.5TB offered as available
  • Nodes 5 & 6: Odroid H2+ (configured with 16GB of SO-DIMM RAM (2x8GB)), Odroid H2 Case 1, boot/root on WD Blue 500GB m.2 NVME, Storj nodes each running on separate WD Red 6TB (CMR) HDDs connected via SATA3, each with 0.5TB offered as available

I have a few other pis there in the cluser case, a RPi4 (4GB) that I run a NEBL staking node, a RPi4 (8GB) that I currently use for promethus/grafana for my 3 Storj nodes, but also as a “seeding” machine for new nodes, and then also a spare RPi4 (4GB) and a spare RPi3 that aren’t currently doing anything.

Almost all of this stuff used to be in my office, and I decided that it was time to move it somewhere else, and that somewhere else is my basement utility closet (notice the sewer well next to the shelf). Biggest reason was to get rid of all of the noise pollution of the constant HDD clicking and fan noise. I’m pretty happy with how the shelving turned out, plus have some room to spare for future expansion. Although, I will say that my office is weirdly quiet now…almost too quiet.

12 Likes