Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

To celebrate my first month I put my Storj rig in a closet in the basement where it’s cooler and out of the way.

I’m using a 2007 Mac Mini, running Lubuntu 20.04 LTS. It’s well suited to the task: 1.83 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM (maxed out) and USB 2.0 limit its utility for other purposes. It still has an 80 GB internal HDD, which is a pain to swap out. The only downside: the processor draws more power (24w) than, say, a Raspberry Pi. I keep the lid on the hard drive enclosure open to help the 4 TB drive stay cool.

So far I’ve earned 7 cents after withholding. But the payoff has been substantial in terms of learning DevOps skills, and committing to keeping a Linux server always on in my home. I’m running a local wiki, I’ve learned to set up SSH with tunneling and key pairs, and I’ve found that these minis (which can be acquired inexpensively if you hunt around) are quite capable if you replace the outdated MacOS they require with Linux (challenging but very smooth once installed).

Thanks, Storj, for helping me realize my longtime goals of building my system administration skills…and (in the future) even getting “paid” to do it!

12 Likes