Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

Also filestore.write-buffer-size.

2 Likes

I started my first node on a Raspberrypi 3 with a 1TB SSD roughly three months ago.

Roughly a week ago I lost control and bought the following setup to start the second node:

• ASUS PRIME A320M-A
  • AMD Ryzen 5 3400G
  • Crucial 8GB Kit DDR4 CT2K4G4DFS824A RAM
  • Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus M.2 NVMe Retail-Version 250GB
  • Cooler Master N300 schwarz
  • be quiet! Pure Power 11 80+ Bronze 350 Watt
  • WD Gold 18TB WD181KRYZ

I am happy. Especially because it took me only 30 minutes to convince my wife that this is not a pc for playing games, but yet another high risk investment comparable to the conversation we had when buying bitcoins and ethereum.

Yes, I know, used hardware and stuffā€¦ I didnĀ“t want to care. Depending on the outcome and the results I will add aditional nodes, but not before adding solar power stuff. So the next ā€œloosing-controlā€-situation is at hand (and the next conversation with my wife (ā€œand my mother-in-law because of the garden placementā€)).

Somewhen I will take the stuff of the table and put it to proper order, but it is placed in the cellar, therefore no one except me cares about it.

8 Likes

For a second I thought that was the time to set it all up then I realized you are a skilled convincer :slight_smile:

What is the power draw ? Is it Linux or Windows ?

2 Likes

Well at least you can add more HDDs in the future so itā€™s a very flexible setup.

1 Like

I am running Ubuntu Server Focal blaaa 20.04.

Putting together the components, installing ubuntu and setting up the node took about 4 hours including the installation timeā€¦ I was a bit dissapointed that the fun was over so quickly.

Power draw is of course a relevant issue, but currently I donĀ“t want to know itā€¦ to be honest, I donĀ“t want to disillusion myself.

But it is seriously something I will check and can put it here then. (grrrā€¦ now I am forced to take the risk of disillusion).

2 Likes

Ah! In regards to my convincing abilities, maybe I should add that the conversation took place after I placed to the shopping online order. Therefore I would categorize my convincing abilities more the sort of ā€œask for forgiveness, instead of permissionā€.

5 Likes

Thank you.

SATA-wise there are currently three slots left.
Slots 5 and 6 are bandwidth-wise blocked by using NVME M.2 stuff.
But using a NVME PCIe Adapter could free them later on.
I am not a hardware guy, just understood it that way.

1 Like

The only ā€œhigh riskā€ about this is buying an 18TB hard drive when you actually have no other use for that than Storj. The rest of the machine is just some random office computer you can put to use when Storj isnā€™t for you!

1 Like

You couldā€™ve saved some (2 or 3 maybeā€¦) watts by using a single stick of RAM instead of this kit of 2

1 Like

Bought a bunch of WD book drives and shucked them all, decided to use 3x 8tb and put them at work for Storj. Installed in a mining right running win10.
Had issues at the beginning but since then itā€™s been running good. ~3 months running.

6 Likes

I like your style like me to cheap to buy a server rack and use a storage rack instead.

2 Likes

Ahhaha ya but thatā€™s a temporary solution for me.
My plan is to get a server rack 42U or 48 and get more mining rigs

Yeah I said the samething but yet 6 years later I still havent found a server rack that I likedā€¦ and still using a storage rack. Now my storage rack is full of servers. lol

1 Like

Good point, iā€™m still shopping for one, used.
But i just bought a new house after breaking up so i got time to settle. And waiting for new video cards to expand mining.

Reason why I didnā€™t buy one yet cause server racks are super loud, Im shopping for a sound proof one but there very expensive an Im super cheap. I used to be a miner but with asics but they are super loud. and I build some sound proof cases for mine cause I cannot stand fan noisesā€¦

One -could- always build one of wood; this is what I did for one at home and then lined it with a few different densities of foam for sound deadening (not the same as sound proofing).

1 Node 10TB completely fullā€¦running since 11/2019
1 Node 10TB in get audit status
40TB for some other stuff

Regards from Austria,
faxxe

15 Likes

What hard drives are you using?

Several WD Red Plus and one Seagate IronWolf

-faxxe

Does your 10TB node use 1 or several disks?