Post pictures of your storagenode rig(s)

Each node has his own 10TB disk

-faxxe

Thanks! Do you know if they are SMR disks?

No… Conventional Magnetic Recording (CMR)

-faxxe

1 Like

Do you remember how much you paid for such disks?

€280.- (here in Austria)

-faxxe

1 Like

1 Node 4TB running since 27/05/2020 (Frankenstein)
1 Node 2TB in get audit status (Odroidhc2)
1 Sai UPS Interactive Conceptronic
Qnap Not use for storj

Regards from Spain

5 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: Feedback Odriod HC2

Got one of my nodes a fancy new switch :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Swanky.

I just ordered a new switch for my network (do have some nodes on it), got ripped off!

Bought a gigabit netgear switch and there was an old 100mbit switch in the box. The worst part is i didn’t check or anything, instead of spent hours trying to figure out if there was problems with a cable or what was going on.

2 Likes

Damn, too bad you won’t get refunded for the time you wasted figuring out the issue :smiley:

Hope you can still return the crap switch.

maybe it is a gigabit switch… but it’s the internal bandwidth… :smiley:
gets me so often when looking at network gear… 10gbit switch… :smiley: and i’m like this looks cheap…and then it’s like 10, 12 or 16 x 1gbit ports or something with a total internal bandwidth of 10gbit…

was also kinda hyped when i found out i could get 10gbit SFP+ stuff pretty cheap… and then i found out it will only reach like 30meters or less… i forget how far exactly… far from the length i need… but i was thinking of going fiber anyways, was stupid enough to pull 10gbit twisted pair so now i cannot electrically insulate the server room, because an overload could travel through the twisted pair…

so that’s just lovely… meanwhile the earths magnetic field is at it’s weakest in centuries and still projected to keep dropping…

VERY NICE

1 Like

He clearly said it’s an old 100mbit switch, so I think it simply is an old 100mbit switch…

2 Likes

if only it was that straight forward, the port max bandwidth usually isn’t the switch max bandwidth because you have interconnected communication between the ports and thus need more bandwidth internally to achieve this.

so what i was saying is that a switch marketed as a 1gbit switch, can still only have 100mbit ports…
it’s just a matter of what parameter of its design that one promotes.

it’s also very relevant to know the internal bandwidth of a switch, because you won’t want say 6bit internal bandwidth on an 18 x 1gbit port switch, because then you can still only get 333 mbit pr port with full load.

ofc this is a grossly oversimplified example, it’s rarely even that simple since, uplink ports and SFP+ may have their own individual internal interconnect bandwidth limitations… like if we imagine the same setup but with a 10gbit uplink port, then it would still most likely be limited by the 6gbit connectivity to the 18x1gbit interconnect / bus.

however the uplink port might still be able to connect to the SFP+ ports with a full 10gbit…

why would you define a individual port max bandwidth as the switch… so if it had a 10gbit uplink port than it was a 10gbit switch, even if it only had one…?

it’s a bit like defining your car by wheel size… it makes not much sense, even if correct.

You described a hub, not the switch. Or a very cheap switch with a crookedly glued label, from under which another one is visible.

The internal communication is usually should be higher or equal. In any one give time each communication should be at 1Gbps, maybe a little less, but not 100Mbps

ProSafe FS728TLP … Is the specific model.

It is that straight forward :slight_smile:
HE got a switch capable of handling 100mbit/s per port, the backplane’s total switching capability is completely irrelevant here.

It was advertised as being 1000mbit/s per port and delivers max. 100mbit/s per port.

Nothing special, just a simple scam.

2 Likes

Well, at least this unit does have 4 GBE ports ;D

Because that is how you compare switches, their main describing feature is the per-port-bandwidth.

A popular german hardware price comparison website has this nice filter that’s called “primary port speed”, which is actually the best way of phrasing said main defining feature.

Yeah its not what I ordered at all. It wasn’t false advertising, they literally just send me an old switch instead of the one i ordered. Not the end of the world.

And to keep this back on topic - here’s one of my synology nodes. You can see the switch I ended up going with.

Normally nothing is hosted in this closet, its just for routing/modems/etc. But the synology is temporarily there whilst i run a 3rd gigabit ethernet upstairs to the server room.

edit- Some may notice that there is indeed an extra fiber port here. I’m not using it as i know have fiber upstairs as well, so i’ve been placing future modems up there.

Here’s what it looked like last week before i cleaned it up:

network_closet_old

All RasPi’s have been discontinued for StorJ operations and awaiting a new project. They were just too flakey with the USB HDD’s. I much prefer the synologies.

3 Likes

This might also represent Pre Vs Post (January) US elections.

4 Likes